Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:20 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
As a person who likes people of all races, I find myself asking the same question.

The answer lies in a tendency to xenophobia. It is very common in the human species. Fear of the Other. To a certain extent it is a survival characteristic which it still exists in what is supposed to be a rational and enlightened age. Two things that many people fear: what is Strange and Death.

ruveyn

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
As a person who likes people of all races, I find myself asking the same question.

The answer lies in a tendency to xenophobia. It is very common in the human species. Fear of the Other. To a certain extent it is a survival characteristic which it still exists in what is supposed to be a rational and enlightened age. Two things that many people fear: what is Strange and Death.
ruveyn

ruveyn, you are (are you not?) a Jew? Tell me how tha Ashkenazie Jews in Israel are accepting of Sephardic Jews, let alone Muslims.

Am I a racist? Yes indeed. That does not mean that I feel that my race or belief is "better" than yours. It means that I am most comfortable among "my own people"

Are Irish "better than" Greeks? Are Greeks "better than" Japanese?
We are all most comfortable living among people "like us" because we are basically tribal. That is our nature.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:01 pm

Wombat wrote:

ruveyn, you are (are you not?) a Jew? Tell me how tha Ashkenazie Jews in Israel are accepting of Sephardic Jews, let alone Muslims.

There is no legal discrimination against s'fardim or y'manim in the State of Israel. Also Druse and Muslim citizens have full civil rights.

This pertains to the legal situation. As to personal attitudes, I don't know. I don't live in Israel.

ruveyn