Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 10:25 am

What are your thoughts about David from the Old Testament? Your view?

Last edited by pgd on 01 Feb 2011, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 10:26 am

pgd wrote:
What are your thoughts about David from the Old Testament? Your view?

God needed a thug and David was just the man for the job.

ruveyn

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 10:31 am

The Bible wouldn't be the same without him. He certainly livens things up.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:24 pm

Human - very. An ennea-8 with a talent for music and lyrics. High-functioning - in personality, that is - enough to have an active awareness of God though not all that smart even for ennea-8.

Easier to get a sense of whoness than Moses, who like ennea-9s generally mostly fades to the background.

And that makes 3 off the Knock Knock list.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 2:21 pm

David and his battle with Goliath is a great story. The symbolism of that - a warrior who believes God is on his side (David) vs another warrior - a giant - who believes the barbarians/the Vikings/the thieves are on his side (Goliath) is a story for all time: good (symbolism) vs bad (symbolism)/light vs darkness, etc. (my view).

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Feb 2011, 2:33 pm

I thought all the giants on earth were killed in the flood, so how then did goliath escape?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 3:33 pm

He was born after the flood.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 3:39 pm

Personally, I take self-affirmation from the story of David and Jonathan.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Feb 2011, 6:33 pm

pandabear wrote:
He was born after the flood.
yes but I thought the whole reason for the flood was to wipe out giant kind on earth. So, either someone on the boat with noah had the giant genes Or the flood didnt kill off earths entire population

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 6:53 pm

The epic story of king David is certainly one of the easiest parts of the Bible to read. I think I should learn Hebrew so That I can read the old testament in it's original language. It's hard to appreciate just how hard David knew how to rock when his songs have been translated into a language where they don't rhyme.

The flood wasn't to kill the nephilim. It was to end the corrupt society that humans had created. Several nephilim, such as Og king of Bashan and the Anakites, appear after the flood.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:44 pm

Hey Tensu, the poems don't rhyme in Hebrew either. The ideas rhyme... that is to say a statement is made, then repeated slightly differently. Rhyming poetry wasn't introduced until some centuries after Christ. In fact, the first rhymer I know of was Augustine of Hippo, who seems to have used it in sermons (quoted by others posthumously, so we can't be entirely sure he was the first.) Augustine, believe it or not, had rhythm. And David, although he didn't rhyme, definitely sang the blues.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

Tensu wrote:
Several nephilim, such as Og king of Bashan and the Anakites, appear after the flood.

Also, Hercules, Achilles and Jesus.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Personally, I take self-affirmation from the story of David and Jonathan.

The were hot for each other.

ruveyn

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 8:03 pm

pandabear wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Several nephilim, such as Og king of Bashan and the Anakites, appear after the flood.

Also, Hercules, Achilles and Jesus.

Jesus was not a Nephilim. He was conceived by the power of the holy spirit. The Nephilim where descended from fallen angels who fell because they wanted to mate with humans, and did just that after falling.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 8:29 pm

Tensu - most languages have ways of structuring poetry / song, but there is TREMENDOUS variation. Rhyme is quite rare. The main early centers I know are Chinese and Arabic - rhyme may have entered Romance and spread to be general in Europde from Arabic, though that is conjecture.

But yes, IF we had the original music and not just a few notes to the conductor AND the original performance style it would sound - well, it would sound about as strange as Chinese opera because our ears are not trained for it.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:41 pm

Tensu wrote:
The epic story of king David is certainly one of the easiest parts of the Bible to read. I think I should learn Hebrew so That I can read the old testament in it's original language. It's hard to appreciate just how hard David knew how to rock when his songs have been translated into a language where they don't rhyme.

The flood wasn't to kill the nephilim. It was to end the corrupt society that humans had created. Several nephilim, such as Og king of Bashan and the Anakites, appear after the flood.

---

The Psalms of David are beautiful poetry/songs - even today - although they do not rhyme in English (my view).