Page 3 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 6:19 pm

If all involved parties are willing, I don't see how an argument against this can be made. It isn't my right, or anyone else's, to tell a woman she can't marry for money or to get out of her country or whatever else. It is her own decision.

That is, however, a really big if.

You will reap what you've sown.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 6:41 pm

That is really the point, I think; are they choosing?
Or are their families pressuring them?

Sylkat

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 11:36 pm

If your choice is near-inslavement to a man in poverty or near-enslavement to a man in luxury, most people would choose the latter.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

Sylkat wrote:
That is really the point, I think; are they choosing?
Or are their families pressuring them?

Sylkat

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtfbrnaciQ[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

LKL wrote:
If your choice is near-inslavement to a man in poverty or near-enslavement to a man in luxury, most people would choose the latter.

Not much of a romantic, are you?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm

The male clients were quoted as saying that 'hard work, appearance, and obedience' were the primary qualities that they were looking for. Not exactly 'romantic' in my book.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 10:47 pm

LKL wrote:
The male clients were quoted as saying that 'hard work, appearance, and obedience' were the primary qualities that they were looking for. Not exactly 'romantic' in my book.

Try stretching romantic over a lifetime. I have been married to my spouse for 55 years. Romantic is not sufficient to maintain a relationship for that length of time. Compatibility trumps romance.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 11:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
LKL wrote:

Try stretching romantic over a lifetime. I have been married to my spouse for 55 years. Romantic is not sufficient to maintain a relationship for that length of time. Compatibility trumps romance.

ruveyn

Very true indeed.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 11:30 pm

ruveyn wrote:
LKL wrote:

ruveyn

Ok, but I doubt that you treat your wife like a servant, and I doubt that her level of "obedience" was one of the things that you looked for in a wife. I have a hard time imagining you with someone less than 'fierce.'

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 12:43 pm

LKL wrote:
Ok, but I doubt that you treat your wife like a servant, and I doubt that her level of "obedience" was one of the things that you looked for in a wife. I have a hard time imagining you with someone less than 'fierce.'

What's wrong with obedience on the part of a wife? And, who really wants to be pussywhipped by a fierce, shrewish wife?

It looks like even Jewish wives occasionally clean the house.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCbjTPLviWc[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 3:29 pm

While not that all Vietnamese women are necessarily angels, a wife who won't treat you like this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9GgHthGAk[/youtube]

would be well worth the $10k finder's fee.

If she can cook, clean, take good care of a man's favourite appendage, and is a virgin to boot, then so much the better. :wink:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:42 pm

That's not romance. It's a business transaction. Again, I don't blame these women for their choice - given their options, it's logical - but to call it 'romantic' is beyond euphemistic. It's not about romance, it's not about partnership, it's not about companionship; it's about finding an aesthetically pleasing servant who has no other decent options.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:21 pm

LKL wrote:
That's not romance. It's a business transaction. Again, I don't blame these women for their choice - given their options, it's logical - but to call it 'romantic' is beyond euphemistic. It's not about romance, it's not about partnership, it's not about companionship; it's about finding an aesthetically pleasing servant who has no other decent options.

All marriages are business transactions. Most of the men who enter into these particular marriages perceive that they really have no better options, either. And, indeed most people who marry feel that they have found the best possible partner.

Of course it is about partnership and companionship. Is a man really going to lock his wife away in a closet? Of course he wants a companion.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
and is a virgin to boot, then so much the better. :wink:

Are you the type who cares about that?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:30 pm

Subotai wrote:
This is why nobody in North America is allowed to b!tch about the job situation. :lol:

In all honesty though this is sad. We are millionaires compared to these poor peasant women.

I really detest this kind of logic.

If no workers in the western world complained because they kept comparing their experiences to workers in the developing hemisphere, they would never have won rights like the 40 hour week or the minimum wage.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:04 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
and is a virgin to boot, then so much the better. :wink:

Are you the type who cares about that?

In a large part of the world, female virginity is highly prized.

In Southeast Asia, there are basically two types of women: women who remain virgins until marriage, and executive ejaculatory administrators. Not a whole lot in between. Southeast Asian ejaculatory administrators are capable of being extremely sweet and charming. But, they can also be rather hard core in certain ways, and display a bit of a treacherous side, particularly if they feel even slightly provoked.

If I were planning to go to Vietnam, to marry a woman I didn't know and whose language I didn't understand, then making certain that she was still a virgin would be a reasonable precaution. For some match-making agencies, it is part of the service anyway.

Plus, I've never done a virgin before. :wink: