Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 3:44 am

Okay. Everyone has heard of Mary from the New Testament. She is thought to be Jesus's mother and everyone has heard of Hail Maries.
My question is, what if Mary isn't really his mother. What if she is really his wife? It just seems so strange there would be all this reverence for a mom. Women were reported as having a lot of power in the early Church. Men felt threatened. They were put in their place at some point. The text was modified. Less talk of women and castrate all the Apostles and Jesus.

So, do you all think it's possible Mary is really his wife, not his mother, and there is some confusion?

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2013, 3:58 am

No only if it was Georgia would she be his wife...or maybe Kentucky lol. :D

Castrate Jesus.. What's wrong with your head boy? :roll:

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 4:45 am

Mary is so revered because she was found faithful in God's eyes, and willingly accepted her role as Jesus' mother (not his wife!) when visited by Gabriel. She didn't ask a ton of questions, just one about conception without sex. After Gabriel told her of the Holy Spirit, she simply replied, "let it be with me as you have said". Nine months later, she gives birth on the first Christmas.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:16 am

It is Miriam by the way, not Mary.

She was a Jewess, not the girl next door, like Peggy Sue.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:29 am

I am being serious and it certainly is possible that Mary is not the mother of Jesus, but really his spouse. It just got lost over centuries when whichever Pope decided it was high time the New Testament were sanitized. He made Mary Jesus's mother and decided no one would ever be married who was affiliated with the church in any way unless they are laity.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:57 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Mary is so revered because she was found faithful in God's eyes, and willingly accepted her role as Jesus' mother (not his wife!) when visited by Gabriel. She didn't ask a ton of questions, just one about conception without sex. After Gabriel told her of the Holy Spirit, she simply replied, "let it be with me as you have said". Nine months later, she gives birth on the first Christmas.

Keep in mind, Popes have altered the original text over the centuries. They wanted a sweet, wholesome, story, apparently, and banished whatever caused conflict in their organization.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 9:35 am

The funny thing is that there were two, or three, ladies in his Jesus's life named "Mary".

Both his mom and his best gal pal ( who either was, or was not also his gf) were both named "Mary": the former being the Virgin Mary, and the latter being Mary Magdelene. That alone is curious as to why the story was written that way.

On top of that- there was also "Mary of Bethany" the sister of Martha and Lazarus. Lazurus was the guy who Jesus raised from the dead. That group of siblings were all also apparently good friends of Christ who he visted more than once according to the Gospels.

In Protestant tradition Mary of Betheny, and Mary Magdalene, are two different people. In Catholic tradition they are lumped together as the same person (the gospels are ambiguous enough for it to be read either way).

Dan Brown's Thriller, Da Vinci Code, is based on the idea that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were husband and wife, and that they produced a lineage of descendants. And that knowledge of that was surpressed for 2000 years.

So basically you're just postualating a slight variation on THAT idea. That his mom was not his mom, and that his mom was really his wife. That ofcourse, would either create a problem (why were there then THREE unrelated [to him, and to each other] adult women in his life all named "mary"), OR it would create an economical solution (all three Marys being one and the same person - who was his wife-presumably Mary Magdalene).

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm

Well, see, that's the thing. We don't really know if all these are three different people or just one Mary. I think it's just one. My intuition tells me that. Thanks various Popes for misrepresentation. See, this is why I dislike followers. They like to mess things up and distort. Never trust followers.

When I went to church, that's one thing that always stood out, all the Marys. It seemed too coincidental, all the women in the New Testament just happened to have the same first name.

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2013, 1:17 pm

There were three guys called Richard in my school class and three or four Katherines, they weren't the same two people at all. Names come and go in fashion and can be very common, like Mary (or Miriam).

The bible was collated in Rome in the 4th century by a group lead by the then Pope. They cut out almost everything referring to female influence, like you say. Ruth and Esther were apparently very lengthy books before they started editing. Other texts like the famous gospel of Thomas (if it's real) were dumped as they went against the idea of hierarchal authority and were far too nice to women.

So if they have three women in there called Mary, there were three women in reality. Three women are more influential than one, so there is no way they took one woman and expanded her importance to such an extent that they needed three women to cover it. The editors were all about diminishing the role of women, not expanding it.

It is strange Jesus didn't seem to have a wife, as that would have been exceptionally remiss of his parents, he came from a good linage so was marriageable. Perhaps there was some tragedy (wife & child died, never wanted to talk about it?) that made him change his path in life aged 29, we will never know.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 1:29 pm

Is this questioning based on any scholarly research or historical documents? Or is it just a wild unsubstantiated guess? If choice A please reference so I can read. If choice B then I'd like to add my own. Mary was Jesus's pet pig.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

I think Mary is a symbol for impossible purity. She is represents the ideal, but impossible, woman that every man wants. Kind of like a cross between a mother figure and the purest virginal wife.

I don't think Mary existed ever.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 3:04 pm

dizzywater wrote:
There were three guys called Richard in my school class and three or four Katherines, they weren't the same two people at all. Names come and go in fashion and can be very common, like Mary (or Miriam).

The bible was collated in Rome in the 4th century by a group lead by the then Pope. They cut out almost everything referring to female influence, like you say. Ruth and Esther were apparently very lengthy books before they started editing. Other texts like the famous gospel of Thomas (if it's real) were dumped as they went against the idea of hierarchal authority and were far too nice to women.

So if they have three women in there called Mary, there were three women in reality. Three women are more influential than one, so there is no way they took one woman and expanded her importance to such an extent that they needed three women to cover it. The editors were all about diminishing the role of women, not expanding it.

It is strange Jesus didn't seem to have a wife, as that would have been exceptionally remiss of his parents, he came from a good linage so was marriageable. Perhaps there was some tragedy (wife & child died, never wanted to talk about it?) that made him change his path in life aged 29, we will never know.

There were three Richards, also many people with different names.

Mukherjee80
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2013, 4:33 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Okay. Everyone has heard of Mary from the New Testament. She is thought to be Jesus's mother and everyone has heard of Hail Maries.
My question is, what if Mary isn't really his mother. What if she is really his wife? It just seems so strange there would be all this reverence for a mom. Women were reported as having a lot of power in the early Church. Men felt threatened. They were put in their place at some point. The text was modified. Less talk of women and castrate all the Apostles and Jesus.

So, do you all think it's possible Mary is really his wife, not his mother, and there is some confusion?

I am not a Christian, but it does not seem at all strange to me that Christians would revere a woman they believe to have been the Mother of God.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I am being serious and it certainly is possible that Mary is not the mother of Jesus, but really his spouse. It just got lost over centuries when whichever Pope decided it was high time the New Testament were sanitized. He made Mary Jesus's mother and decided no one would ever be married who was affiliated with the church in any way unless they are laity.

Hypothetically speaking, I suppose it makes sense that if Jesus had been married to a "Mary", and if the early church leaders advocated for clerical celibacy, that those church leaders would have wanted to cover up the facts about Jesus's marriage.

But why would they then need to make Mary into Jesus's mother? Why not just not mention Mary at all and refer to Jesus's mother by her actual name (whatever that was)?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 6:23 pm

Mukherjee80 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Hypothetically speaking, I suppose it makes sense that if Jesus had been married to a "Mary", and if the early church leaders advocated for clerical celibacy, that those church leaders would have wanted to cover up the facts about Jesus's marriage.

But why would they then need to make Mary into Jesus's mother? Why not just not mention Mary at all and refer to Jesus's mother by her actual name (whatever that was)?

Yes. Thats the problem with this notion.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 6:52 pm

Mukherjee80 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I am not a Christian, but it does not seem at all strange to me that Christians would revere a woman they believe to have been the Mother of God.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Judging by just how vague the Gospels are about certain things, I believe some parts have been omitted throughout history. People used to worship the Evening Star as the Queen of Heaven. This is where the idea originates. They just replaced the star, which is really the planet Venus, with Mary, and started worshiping her as the Mother of God (also referred to as The Queen Of Heaven in antiquity.)

It is possible Mary, Jesus's wife could have been worshiped by early Christians as the Queen Of Heaven and church elders (men) had issues with that. It's too bad we will never know for sure. Way too much desecration. Why can't people leave stuff alone?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 7:21 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

Let it be with me she said. And so it was. After tussling and twisting she yelled out Oh God! Don't stop now!

Afterward the Holy Spirit asked her: Was it good for you, sweetheart?

ruveyn