we'l probably find out next election

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:01 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
There have been 700+ arrests (protesters getting violent and/or breaking laws) due to Occupy Wallstreet movements while there were 0 arrests associated with the tea party, enough said.
This tells me that tea parties are the most likely to be mainstream pawns.

So you think committing acts of vandalism, violence, and trashing places makes protests legitimate?

Let me rewrite what I posted so that it becomes evident that you are putting words in my mouth:

Vexcalibur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
There have been 700+ arrests (protesters getting violent and/or breaking laws) due to Occupy Wallstreet movements while there were 0 arrests associated with the tea party, enough said.
This tells me that tea parties are the most likely to be mainstream pawns.

Ergo, number of arrests by itself is not a great metric. The people in Syria are getting arrested like heck and you won't come to claim they aren't legitimate. You mentioned arrests and only arrests, and when I replied I talked about getting arrested.

I don't think arrests make occupiers legitimate. However, tea party not getting any arrest just tells me the sad true about them, that they are completely mainstream and not shaking any ground with their existence. That mainstream government and corporations are very happy with them.

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 12 Oct 2011, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:09 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

Actually what I said was perfectly relevant, the fact you can't figure out how what I said was relevant when it is so blatently obvious is your problem.

You really should cease and desist from spamming and derailing this thread. In case you didn't get it the first time....

This thread is about who represents the middle class best, not which protest has more arrests or who litters less.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:12 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Actually what I said was perfectly relevant, the fact you can't figure out how what I said was relevant when it is so blatently obvious is your problem.

You really should cease and desist from spamming an derailing this thread. In case you didn't get it the first time....

This thread is about who represents the middle class best, not which protest has more arrests or who litters less.

So far no one is doing the Middle Class any great service.

ruveyn

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

I think you will find yourself on the wrong side of history with that analysis. (Your "unofficial minor," notwithstanding.)

How many were arrested as a result of the salt satyagraha? How many arrests were made of civil rights protesters in the 1960s? There comes a point when the imposition of law and order becomes the repression of the legitimate expression of civil grievances. It is well established in United States constitutional law that the right to petition through public demonstration cannot be unreasonably constrained.

Now it may well be that these 700+ people were acting beyond the limits of the exercise of their First Amendment rights--but history suggests that governments will exercise force against movements with which it disagrees.

Speaking their mind is fine. Hippies blocking a critical bridge, keeping people who actually have jobs to get to from getting there, and people who have responsibilities from taking care of them is not cool. It must be nice having enough money to take a trip to NYC without needing a job to pay for it, and being able to spend a a couple weeks camped out in the street since they have no responsibilities to take care of. I sure couldn't do that!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:15 pm

John_Browning wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

I think you will find yourself on the wrong side of history with that analysis. (Your "unofficial minor," notwithstanding.)

How many were arrested as a result of the salt satyagraha? How many arrests were made of civil rights protesters in the 1960s? There comes a point when the imposition of law and order becomes the repression of the legitimate expression of civil grievances. It is well established in United States constitutional law that the right to petition through public demonstration cannot be unreasonably constrained.

Now it may well be that these 700+ people were acting beyond the limits of the exercise of their First Amendment rights--but history suggests that governments will exercise force against movements with which it disagrees.

Speaking their mind is fine. Hippies blocking a critical bridge, keeping people who actually have jobs to get to from getting there, and people who have responsibilities from taking care of them is not cool. It must be nice having enough money to take a trip to NYC without needing a job to pay for it, and being able to spend a a couple weeks camped out in the street since they have no responsibilities to take care of. I sure couldn't do that!

A great number of those protestors are native New Yorkers, and many are unemployed due to the rats their protesting against. Most in fact wouldn't fit anyone's definition of a hippie, as many have families and vary in age and social class. And while there are those who have set up camp, others doubtlessly show up when they can in order to protest, then go back home to their families.
As for the charge of people not being able to make a living due to the protestors; aside from a little congestion early on, nobody was kept from work.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Money in politics isn't the problem tho, it's the power that Washington and the Fed that is the problem. These special interests, corporations, etc. would have nothing to spend their money on if the powers they're trying to influence didn't exist. Not exactly what someone who wants an all encompassing unitary nanny state wants to hear but it is what it is.

YEAH!! !

Let's dismantle the government so corporations etc. have no regulation! They wouldn't need to bribe anyone if they were allowed to do whatever the hell they wanted and operate unchecked!

Screw the all encompassing nanny state! Let's have all encompassing corporate plutocracy instead! :roll:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Oct 2011, 1:59 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Money in politics isn't the problem tho, it's the power that Washington and the Fed that is the problem. These special interests, corporations, etc. would have nothing to spend their money on if the powers they're trying to influence didn't exist. Not exactly what someone who wants an all encompassing unitary nanny state wants to hear but it is what it is.

YEAH!! !

Let's dismantle the government so corporations etc. have no regulation! They wouldn't need to bribe anyone if they were allowed to do whatever the hell they wanted and operate unchecked!

Screw the all encompassing nanny state! Let's have all encompassing corporate plutocracy instead! :roll:

:lol: What do you think we have now? Those regulations enrich these corporations by stifling competition. The big corporations write their own regulations, they subsidize their businesses with our tax money, and then pay nothing back, they completely run the game. The biggest enemies to the free market aren't those unshaven college Marxists, it's big business.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

Jacoby wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

YEAH!! !

:lol: What do you think we have now? Those regulations enrich these corporations by stifling competition. The big corporations write their own regulations, they subsidize their businesses with our tax money, and then pay nothing back, they completely run the game. The biggest enemies to the free market aren't those unshaven college Marxists, it's big business.

Well, at least now corporations have to go to the trouble of bribing people and subverting the system...

And uh... Capitalism (unregulated) is the BIGGEST threat to the free market--read some history for Christsakes!

What we need is a strong government and a good, tough Patrician like Teddy Roosevelt to begin to put things right again.

This is the second Gilded Age my friend.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 2:43 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

YEAH!! !

Well, at least now corporations have to go to the trouble of bribing people and subverting the system...

And uh... Capitalism is the BIGGEST threat to the free market--read some history for Christsakes!

What we need is a strong government and a good, tough Patrician like Teddy Roosevelt to begin to put things right again.

This is the second Gilded Age my friend.

They're not subverting the system, they run the system to their benefit and the worst part is they do it under the guise of helping protect the little guy to trick people like you into supporting them. It cannot be be reformed, it can not be fixed. More subsidies, more regulations, and more bailouts is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

Jacoby wrote:

They're not subverting the system, they run the system to their benefit and the worst part is they do it under the guise of helping protect the little guy to trick people like you into supporting them. It cannot be be reformed, it can not be fixed. More subsidies, more regulations, and more bailouts is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Okay, so how does dismantling the government/system fix things?

Unchecked capitalism yields things like US Steel and Standard Oil.

Mature markets, free or not, don't produce competition they give us dictatorial monopolies.

How do you break the tyranny of corporations without a powerful, trust busting government?

Because I think that's what we need and that's really at the heart of the 99% movement...

History shows us that government can break corporate power when the people insist on it...

What's the small/weak government alternative?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 3:52 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Okay, so how does dismantling the government/system fix things?

Unchecked capitalism yields things like US Steel and Standard Oil.

Mature markets, free or not, don't produce competition they give us dictatorial monopolies.

How do you break the tyranny of corporations without a powerful, trust busting government?

Because I think that's what we need and that's really at the heart of the 99% movement...

History shows us that government can break corporate power when the people insist on it...

What's the small/weak government alternative?

Government creates "dictatorial monopolies", the free market increases efficiency and drives prices down.

http://mises.org/daily/2694

here's a fantastic article that you should read on the subject of monopolies and Anti-Trust policy

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 4:11 pm

Standard Oil originally produced kerosine that every one could afford. They put the whale oil industry out of business.

They also produced the technology that could produce fuel for cars cheap that everyone could afford. Just remember half the price of gasoline is tax. Big Oil produces gasoline cheap in spite of government taxes and the blackmail we have to pay to OPEC.

ruveyn

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Government creates "dictatorial monopolies", the free market increases efficiency and drives prices down.

http://mises.org/daily/2694

here's a fantastic article that you should read on the subject of monopolies and Anti-Trust policy

Yeah, I've heard those arguments before... Sure, SO drove the price of oil down. That's how they starved out the competition.

The thing is, they also had a horizontal monopoly between the oil well and the consumer at the point of refining. That let them bleed their suppliers AND starve out their competition at the same time (and at a tidy profit). That limits commerce, and long term, it's a bad thing.

Also, they threatened support industries like railroads, extorting favorable rates and insisting on high rate for competitors.

Standard may not have been screwing consumers directly, but they were definitely screwing lots of folks and undermining the "free market."

A modern example might be Wal-Mart. Sure, Wal-Mart provides low prices, always :roll: . But, their domination of the retail market gives them the power to dictate price to their suppliers. I work for one of their suppliers and my job is to keep information secure so that Wal-Mart cannot bleed us anymore than they already do...

Wal-Mart often dictates the profit margins of their suppliers, and as a byproduct they have helped to eviscerate American Manufacturing. That limits commerce. That's the high cost of low prices.

PS
I'm still waiting for an explanation of free market solutions....

Or are you simply denying the problem?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 12:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

A great number of those protestors are native New Yorkers, and many are unemployed due to the rats their protesting against. Most in fact wouldn't fit anyone's definition of a hippie, as many have families and vary in age and social class. And while there are those who have set up camp, others doubtlessly show up when they can in order to protest, then go back home to their families.
As for the charge of people not being able to make a living due to the protestors; aside from a little congestion early on, nobody was kept from work.

Sarcasm: Oh so that explains the drugs...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 12:29 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Sarcasm: Oh so that explains the drugs...

I won't deny that there are some present who are getting stoned, but that hardly describes most of the attendants. Fox News is taking a few incidents, and are blowing them out of proportion in order to paint the whole crowd as hippie stoners. Ed Schultz and Rev. Al Sharpton have been there interviewing protestors, and in fact, most are law abiding citizens, very often with families. They just happen to be concerned and angry about the direction the country has been taking in the last few decades, in which the top 1% of the country are getting richer, while the rest of us slip into poverty.
At least no one showed up with loaded guns - - like at Tea Party rallies.