Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 9:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP8_ytsTdYQ[/youtube]

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 10:19 am

A statement that a skateboard rail is attracted to skateboard rails with similar rather than complementary genitals is not necessarily a value judgement.

Granted, I don't even know where the genitals are on one, let alone what their mating habits are.

My gay friends don't seem to mind when i call them gay. Because I'm describing that they prefer the company of men, which is true.

I don't see a reason why it should define every aspect of their lives, but that's another discussion.

It might be more useful to make the point that it is rude to use "gay" as a synonym for worthless, broken, lame, etc.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

Here is my view on it (for anyone who may be interested).

If you know me well enough to know that I myself will curse like a sailor, especially after having had a few drinks, please do not have any hesitation to inform me, in plain speech, that I am an offensive fa***t. I consider creative uses of language like, "if you would take a momentary break from your uphill gardening, you repulsive virus condo," to be a fine and beautiful art. Honestly, if you were to wave your hand in my direction, while addressing someone else, saying something like, "queermo over there," I wouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow because I am at heart very much a good old boy.

If you don't know me or you are fully aware that I do not take kindly to such language, keep it to yourself. If there are young people around, keep your damn revolting language to yourself, and shame on you if you make excessive use of it around the fairer sex (meaning no discourtesy to those of which whom I know can very well make a sailor blush).

When some gay people object that they really don't mind the word "gay," what I think they mean by it is that it's not the language itself they take exception over but the cruelty behind its intent and the total carelessness with which it is used, especially around impressionable children. It's not that it's always bad to say homophobic-sounding things, and it doesn't make you a homophobe if you talk casual crap about gay people after you've had a few drinks. It's when you spout that sort of filth around a mentally unbalanced teenager, who already has doubts about his own validity, that you ought to have a dent put in your head.

Just be consistent. If you would bend your older son over your knee and give him a thrashing for cursing around your toddler, you shouldn't hesitate to leave welts on him for spouting homophobic language in the same context. You shouldn't try to lead teenagers to feel insecure about their sexuality anymore than you should try to make them feel stupid or go out of your way to rub in their academic failures, and I think it makes you just as crass and vulgar if you spout homophobic filth around women as if you expose them to any other form of verbal indecency. In short, this really isn't complicated, people. Everything you need to know about this is already to be found in basic chivalry.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

My old computer cant view the video so this is probably way off the rails, but im confused!

"Gay" was never an epithet. Its what they call themselves.
Its the one NON-epithet.

"fa***t" "Queer" "fairy" and "homo" are the epithets that you wouldnt us to their faces.

Though recently "Queer" has come into vogue for them to use on each other - kinda like Black guys calling each other the N-word.

So the issue is every other word but "gay", not the word "gay".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

I see nothing wrong with the word gay.......it means happy or homosexual, who cares?

now excuse me while I go light up a fag(ciggerette).

However everyone does know its not nice to insult people so the above words should not be used to insult people.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
My old computer cant view the video so this is probably way off the rails, but im confused!
Oh, it's just a video of a teenager trying to do a grind on a home-made rail, and he deservedly falls and busts his butt. He says, "that rail is so gay," and a younger child, ostensibly a sibling, comes over and slaps him, with exaggerated sound effect, saying, "Don't say 'gay,' it's rude and offensive." As a 'humorous' afterthought, the boy is slapped again, this time "for being stupid." It ends with a caption that says, "when you say 'gay,' do you realize what you say?"

Quote:
Its the one NON-epithet.
Prison slang.

Quote:
"fa***t" "Queer" "fairy" and "homo" are the epithets that you wouldnt us to their faces.
For "fairy," you might want to wait until I'm on my second gin and tonic.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm

the intent matters not the words themselves,

daisy can be derogatory as can happy.
so why hang on the words?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:09 pm

I think the word "gay" has come to mean something else lately. It is used to describe something that is either stupid, or dainty or girly etc but not necessarily homosexual. I know its still used to describe homosexuals but its used for other things too.

In my home town in the gay district there is a gay bar called "Queer" and queer has always been a word used to put down gay people. So its like a way of reversing the usage of the word...or maybe I am wrong.

But I also remember some Asian clothing company had used the word "Paki" spelt "Pak1" as a brand name for their clothes.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

I feel gay, very gay tonight. Can I not be gay for a bit? What is wrong with being a bit gay?

Sod it, I'm going for a beer. I'll be gay on my own. Nothing wrong with a bit of liquid happiness. ;)

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:27 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I think the word "gay" has come to mean something else lately. It is used to describe something that is either stupid, or dainty or girly etc but not necessarily homosexual. I know its still used to describe homosexuals but its used for other things too.

In my home town in the gay district there is a gay bar called "Queer" and queer has always been a word used to put down gay people. So its like a way of reversing the usage of the word...or maybe I am wrong.

But I also remember some Asian clothing company had used the word "Paki" spelt "Pak1" as a brand name for their clothes.
Well, "gay" just seems to imply gay people who are into the community values and social normalization scene. It's fine for concerned parents of gay youth, lesbian moms and the occasional gay dad, and moderate-conservative commentators. "Queer" has a more punkerish anti-establishment ring to it.

Last edited by WilliamWDelaney on 03 Dec 2011, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7BQRGXFLJs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8[/youtube]

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Its the one NON-epithet.

nonsense. i have calleds my gay friends fag, homo, and queer. not fairy tho - they don't mince.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:48 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
nonsense. i have calleds my gay friends fag, homo, and queer. not fairy tho - they don't mince.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik_qV6qXwi0[/youtube]

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:20 pm

And don't forget hershey highwaypoker, chutney ferret, fruit, bonesmoker, turd burglar, bum beard bandit, cakeboy, backside artist, assclown, pansy, gaylord, poofter, pillow biter, bender, woofter, shitlifter, aunt Christine, doughnut puncher, flamer, sausage eater, bumboy, cock jockey, biting daddy, rectal cowboy, knobgobbler, pickle puffer, daisy chocolate, starfish pusher, sissy, fluter, rectal rooter, sausage eater, batty boy, anal buccaneer, or my personal favorite, butt-pirate.

Last edited by WilliamWDelaney on 03 Dec 2011, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

I take my hat (though not my undies) off for you, fine sir. I only knew about a third of those. ;)

What about poo-prodder?

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

Tequila wrote:
I take my hat (though not my undies) off for you, fine sir. I only knew about a third of those. ;)
I cheated and looked them up :D

Quote:
What about poo-prodder?
Hehehe.