"It's my birthday, so vote against 'Gay Marriage'"

Page 1 of 15 [ 225 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:11 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Ugh. I remember a while back there was a kid who went up to (I think) Michelle Bachman and said something about having 2 moms and why did MB hate them. And now there's this. Why do people have to use their kids like that? Do they really think anyone is going to believe that the kid thought it up all on their own?

I also read about that girl. How do you know that she was used? Unlike the girl in this case, she had a good reason to voice her opinion on this matter. She didn't promote inequality and discrimination, she defended her parents. I think that's something children would do on their own accord.

I don't remember reading about this girl, but I agree that we cannot assume what she did was scripted by her parents. Indeed, I've found often times children of same-sex couples are far more likely to do this sort of thing of their own accord than children from the other side.

Still, I would not be very happy if one of my children went up to a political figure for any reason. It's my job until they're at least teenagers.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:14 pm

If my kid took an interest in politics at a young age, I think I'd let that grow.

The younger they learn the realities of it, the less of a shock it will be.

You will reap what you've sown.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:18 pm

abacacus wrote:
If my kid took an interest in politics at a young age, I think I'd let that grow.

The younger they learn the realities of it, the less of a shock it will be.

I didn't say I wouldn't allow my children to have political ideals. Fact is, they're very likely to considering how politically minded I am. They just should not be approaching a politician until they are older IMO.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:18 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
I also read about that girl. How do you know that she was used? Unlike the girl in this case, she had a good reason to voice her opinion on this matter. She didn't promote inequality and discrimination, she defended her parents. I think that's something children would do on their own accord.

I suppose it's possible, but a kid that young being allowed to go up to an adult unsupervised seemed strange. The parents were probably just out of camera range, but why weren't they right there holding her hand. And at that age I had zero awareness of politics, but for a different kid with an issue that directly connected to their life maybe it would be different.

I dunno, I guess it's impossible to really know.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Feb 2012, 9:27 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Props to Governor Martin O'Malley.

As for the girl: poor kid, to be indoctrinated like that and used as a tool to further this ideology of hatred. I'm glad for my compulsory public school education, otherwise I might have ended up brainwashed like her.

You're just "brainwashed" by someone else then. Being German, I think your people more than anyone should recognize the danger of "public" indoctrination.

As for this girl, it's sad that she thinks this way but you can't blame homeschooling for it. Kids in public school are also influenced by their parents, I don't her opinion would change much. I don't know about how things are in Germany, but public school is particularly friendly to children who don't fit the "norm" so I would certainly hope you consider that when you decry homeschooling/private schools. Hopefully once this girl goes out in the world she'll see the error in her thinking.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:58 pm

Jacoby wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
Props to Governor Martin O'Malley.

As for the girl: poor kid, to be indoctrinated like that and used as a tool to further this ideology of hatred. I'm glad for my compulsory public school education, otherwise I might have ended up brainwashed like her.

You're just "brainwashed" by someone else then. Being German, I think your people more than anyone should recognize the danger of "public" indoctrination.

As for this girl, it's sad that she thinks this way but you can't blame homeschooling for it. Kids in public school are also influenced by their parents, I don't her opinion would change much. I don't know about how things are in Germany, but public school is particularly friendly to children who don't fit the "norm" so I would certainly hope you consider that when you decry homeschooling/private schools. Hopefully once this girl goes out in the world she'll see the error in her thinking.

The only places where I was indoctrinated were church (three times a week), Sunday school, church-organized youth camps and seminars, and of course my home. Deacons and priests would often visit the families of church members at home to check on things and make sure that no one would fall victim to evil secular influences (by owning a TV set, for example, which was a huge taboo). The New Apostolic Church was quite the controlling cult, almost like Jehovah's Witnesses.

At school, I simply got an education. Math, language, science, the works. But what was much more important, I had contact with normal kids who came from more moderate or secular backgrounds. They made me realize how weird and outlandish my family and their church were.

It takes a village to raise a child. No matter how you might feel about compulsory school education, you have to admit that it's a bad idea to let parents and cults raise their children in a very controlled and shielded environment, with little or no contact with the outside world. In the USA, some nutcase parents could keep their kids locked up in the basement and nobody would ever know.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm

Some have kept their kids locked up for years, actually. I don't see how that's relevant, though, as that could happen anywhere.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

I suppose it's possible, but a kid that young being allowed to go up to an adult unsupervised seemed strange. The parents were probably just out of camera range, but why weren't they right there holding her hand. And at that age I had zero awareness of politics, but for a different kid with an issue that directly connected to their life maybe it would be different.

I dunno, I guess it's impossible to really know.

its not completely impossible for her to have done so herself, not saying its probable.

i was only 15 when i went to the danish parliament in practica, was there for 2 weeks under an enviromental speaker (one who handles enviromental issues for a political party in power, she was in parliament)
i would never be able to handle work like that for extended periods of time, the schedule is ridicoulous with votes on different issues constantly as well as several overbookings.
sat at lunch with a couple of ministers as well, earend me a spot in the local newspaper.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm

Also, what's wrong with not owning a TV?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Some have kept their kids locked up for years, actually. I don't see how that's relevant, though, as that could happen anywhere.

It could happen here too, but only until the children turn six. At some point, the police would inquire why the kids don't show up for school.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:14 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
At some point, the police would inquire why the kids don't show up for school.

Only if they registered the children in the first place.

Also well worth mentioning that home-schooling isn't legal in Germany.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:18 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

It could happen here too, but only until the children turn six. At some point, the police would inquire why the kids don't show up for school.

The police would get involved here, too, but we're assuming people know the child even exists. I remember a couple of years back an 18 year old (or possibly 17?) was reported as a run-away and only years later was it discovered her father actually had constructed a secret room where he locked her up in and impregnated her several times. There were 3 children locked up with her, and I think they later confirmed at least three others had died from malnutrition and abuse.

That's 6 children nobody knew existed and a teenager (turned adult in captivity) that people had been fooled into believing ran off.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:20 pm

Jacoby wrote:
but public school is particularly friendly to children who don't fit the "norm"

Say WHAT??? Since WHEN???

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:20 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Nothing, unless a religious cult forbids its members to own a TV, go to the movies, or read "worldly" literature. Which is pretty much what the New Apostolic Church did back then.

I probably should have mentioned that this was in times before the internet. Nowadays, I don't see the need for TV anymore either, but back then it was the only window to the world aside from newspapers and radio. I might have grown up to be a much more socially functional person if I could have observed neurotypical (and non-deluded) people on TV.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:23 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Nothing, unless a religious cult forbids its members to own a TV, go to the movies, or read "worldly" literature. Which is pretty much what the New Apostolic Church did back then.

I probably should have mentioned that this was in times before the internet. Nowadays, I don't see the need for TV anymore either, but back then it was the only window to the world aside from newspapers and radio. I might have grown up to be a much more socially functional person if I could have observed neurotypical (and non-deluded) people on TV.

Hmm.... I don't think the TV was ever that important but okay.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:24 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
but public school is particularly friendly to children who don't fit the "norm"

Say WHAT??? Since WHEN???

Sarcasm sammich!