Page 3 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:24 pm

DEdwards wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, you've just witnessed the birth of an atheist.

Just spend half the day watching Carl Sagan and stuff about critical thinking and this guy named Richard Hawkins on YouTube. Very enlightening.

Welcome to the club! We get to sleep in on Sundays... :-)

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
DEdwards wrote:

Just spend half the day watching Carl Sagan and stuff about critical thinking and this guy named Richard Hawkins on YouTube. Very enlightening.

Welcome to the club! We get to sleep in on Sundays... :-)

Great! The Sabbath is Saturday! See you then!

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

Don't forget...

"But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you." - Romans 8:11

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

DEdwards wrote:

Make sure that you don't watch anything from Christopher Hitchens or Sam Harris, or you might get a strange desire to invade countries on trumped-up charges.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:23 pm

Declension wrote:
DEdwards wrote:

Make sure that you don't watch anything from Christopher Hitchens or Sam Harris, or you might get a strange desire to invade countries on trumped-up charges.

Yeah....just watch the "I like trains" video....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw[/youtube]

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 4:03 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
goodwitchy wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
It's like they know something's not right but they just don't want to let go of it completely.
Where's the intellectual integrity and honor in that?

Not all science is proven, yet many consider theories in the realm of intellect rather than completely rejecting or dismissing them. Do you have proof of everything you believe, and everything you think is true?

A scientific theory is an explanation that fits the facts and allows reasonably accurate prediction of future facts. It is generally accepted that they are "best fits" - but the point is that, if evidence goes against the theory, the theory can be changed. And occasionally it IS let go of completely, if we discover something that completely blows it out of the water.

Proof? It works. That's the best evidence you can have.

That said, sometimes people do have trouble letting go of an idea. Science has often advanced in the past through the death of old scientists who won't accept a new idea. That's not a problem with science, but with human beings!

I agree with what you wrote, except that I don't think the existence of God can be proven or dis-proven.
It's a personal choice / "best fit" until more evidence is shown to further either argument.

I will not attempt to convert atheists, and I don't think atheists should try to convert theists.

:)

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
I will not attempt to convert atheists, and I don't think atheists should try to convert theists.

People have the right to convince others of something that's clearly true.

If Christianity is clearly rubbish to me and others, I owe it to myself to let Christians know how much rubbish it is whether they wish to be convinced or not.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

DEdwards wrote:

Congrats. You're now a free man.

Now's the time to really practice your critical skills even when it comes to secular material. Never believe every word you read. Always cross and double check.

For example, some atheists might blindly believe the Jesus sun god theory without bothering to check for the evidence, but it doesn't mean they're right. Don't fall into such traps as a newly-born atheist.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

MCalavera wrote:
DEdwards wrote:

Congrats. You're now a free man...

I am hoping he will be a prodigal son. He was already a free man.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 5:28 pm

shrox wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
DEdwards wrote:

We can argue all day long about what "free" really means, but the important point is he's a happier and more comfortable person for having left the faith that was majorly negative for him.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 5:36 pm

MCalavera wrote:
shrox wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
DEdwards wrote:

We can argue all day long about what "free" really means, but the important point is he's a happier and more comfortable person for having left the faith that was majorly negative for him.

I'd say the fact that we was able to get up and leave means he's a free man.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:00 pm

shrox wrote:
I'd say the fact that we was able to get up and leave means he's a free man.

Many people speak of the right to freedom. They miss the point. You can't give anyone freedom. It's something you give yourself.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:25 pm

MCalavera wrote:
DEdwards wrote:

Congrats. You're now a free man.

Now's the time to really practice your critical skills even when it comes to secular material. Never believe every word you read. Always cross and double check.

For example, some atheists might blindly believe the Jesus sun god theory without bothering to check for the evidence, but it doesn't mean they're right. Don't fall into such traps as a newly-born atheist.

If DEdwards is happy, then I'm happy for him. I have to think though, had he been raised in some other tradition than the fundies or holy rollers with their emphasis on the terror of hell, he might not have ever had this struggle with his faith.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

DEdwards was apparently not born-again yesterday :P Image

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm

Vigilans wrote:
DEdwards was apparently not born-again yesterday :P Image

:lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 7:04 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
...It's something you give yourself.

Yes. You might die because of your choice, but it's yours to make.