22 Feb 2012, 6:56 pm

TJ is as much of a twat as Romney.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2012, 7:42 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
Lol, I had the same thought.

I feel a little bad for the guy, because even though I don't agree with his political views, I get extremely annoyed that people attack him for all the wrong reasons - his "dullness" for example.

My thoughts exactly. I read an entire article that kept calling him a robot and an alien recently & it rubbed me the wrong way.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

LadySera wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:
Lol, I had the same thought.

I feel a little bad for the guy, because even though I don't agree with his political views, I get extremely annoyed that people attack him for all the wrong reasons - his "dullness" for example.

My thoughts exactly. I read an entire article that kept calling him a robot and an alien recently & it rubbed me the wrong way.

I think they're just trying to accuse him of being an empty suite. Compared to what being 'alive' and emotional is though in the Gingrich/Santorum/Biden/Dean way though, I'd think its more of a blessing than a curse for him.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 9:21 pm

Being wooden didnt help Gore or Kerry. The last wooden president was probably Ford, also from Michigan, and he was never elected President. Maybe Bush the elder had some of it. I didnt like Bush at first but he grew on me. He was not inspirational in any way.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 9:53 pm

I might be posting this thought in the wrong place but, its the most active Republican Primary thread.

My take on this race: Santorum and Gingrich are doing a great job of selling why to vote republican; a great job. They're picking up where Romney leaves off. Between debates, however, they're doing a wonderful job of selling us on why we should vote for Romney rather than themselves as they make all kinds of mistakes that he doesn't.

That's just my present take, however I heard something else that was supportive of my take that Romney will have the nomination. Essentially the Paul voters take from Romney more than anyone else. From that perspective Romney has a good portion of another candidate's pool to draw votes from on election day and a lot of what we're seeing with straw polls of Romney vs. Obama or Santorum vs. Obama, we don't see clear reflection of Romney votes mostly for the Paul factor. I really don't think Paul will drop out any time soon however once Romney wins a few major states, which I can't imagine California and New York going any other way, it'll be pure momentum from there. New York of course is the earlier of the two, April, but I think he could have this in the bag by March.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 11:44 pm

I doubt it, Being a president..... especially the President of the United States, requires no shyness.......and I am very shy.

I may or may not be a person on the spectrum even though i was Diagnosed, but Im sure as hell one shy person.

MBTI- ISTP

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Feb 2012, 6:43 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I might be posting this thought in the wrong place but, its the most active Republican Primary thread.

My take on this race: Santorum and Gingrich are doing a great job of selling why to vote republican; a great job. They're picking up where Romney leaves off. Between debates, however, they're doing a wonderful job of selling us on why we should vote for Romney rather than themselves as they make all kinds of mistakes that he doesn't.

That's just my present take, however I heard something else that was supportive of my take that Romney will have the nomination. Essentially the Paul voters take from Romney more than anyone else. From that perspective Romney has a good portion of another candidate's pool to draw votes from on election day and a lot of what we're seeing with straw polls of Romney vs. Obama or Santorum vs. Obama, we don't see clear reflection of Romney votes mostly for the Paul factor. I really don't think Paul will drop out any time soon however once Romney wins a few major states, which I can't imagine California and New York going any other way, it'll be pure momentum from there. New York of course is the earlier of the two, April, but I think he could have this in the bag by March.

Paul supporters will not go to Romney. They will go 3rd party or not vote at all if Ron doesn't win the nomination. The only overlap between the two is that Romney and Paul supporters are for the most part sane relative to the nutjobs who back Santorum and Gingrich.

Romney does seem to be trying to warm up Ron and his supporters however. Romney is just smart enough to know the GOP can't win without us. Santorum thinks Romney has made a deal with Paul to be his running mate but I can not foresee Ron accepting. I think Rand being offered a VP spot is much more likely, I'm not so sure he would decline.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 7:17 am

I don't think that performance was very aspie at all, it looked like a normal person that was on speed.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 8:21 am

Jacoby wrote:
Paul supporters will not go to Romney. They will go 3rd party or not vote at all if Ron doesn't win the nomination. The only overlap between the two is that Romney and Paul supporters are for the most part sane relative to the nutjobs who back Santorum and Gingrich.

How much of his voting group though is made up of typically third/minority party voters or opt-outs? If this primary is getting that much more voters that it would make sense then okay, if the numbers are similar to previous years I still think he's having a bit of Perot effect and pulling at some in the center who want small government and don't identify with many neoconservative outlooks.

Jacoby wrote:
Romney does seem to be trying to warm up Ron and his supporters however. Romney is just smart enough to know the GOP can't win without us. Santorum thinks Romney has made a deal with Paul to be his running mate but I can not foresee Ron accepting. I think Rand being offered a VP spot is much more likely, I'm not so sure he would decline.

Do you think he also might take Marco Rubio?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 9:24 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

How much of his voting group though is made up of typically third/minority party voters or opt-outs? If this primary is getting that much more voters that it would make sense then okay, if the numbers are similar to previous years I still think he's having a bit of Perot effect and pulling at some in the center who want small government and don't identify with many neoconservative outlooks.

Jacoby wrote:

Do you think he also might take Marco Rubio?

The majority. Most of Ron's support are young people and people that probably wouldn't vote republican otherwise. Ron doesn't have much soft support but the support he does have is rock solid. I expect if Ron doesn't get the nomination we'll see a third party candidate like Gary Johnson break at least 2% of the vote if not more.

And yes, Rubio will probably get an offer to be VP from any of Romney, Gingrich, or Santorum. He has no appeal to Paul supporters however.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:05 am

Jacoby wrote:

The majority. Most of Ron's support are young people and people that probably wouldn't vote republican otherwise. Ron doesn't have much soft support but the support he does have is rock solid. I expect if Ron doesn't get the nomination we'll see a third party candidate like Gary Johnson break at least 2% of the vote if not more.

Which means that the Lion King will be voted back in for sure.

ruveyn

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:54 am

As for Romney getting the nomination. He's now behind Santorum in most national polls and he's badly trailing Santorum in a number of states, including big super tuesday states like Ohio. He needs a Michigan win (polling is near tied) or he's going to get badly crippled.

He's still the front runner in my opinion but the numbers don't reflect that at the moment.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

simon_says wrote:
As for Romney getting the nomination. He's now behind Santorum in most national polls and he's badly trailing Santorum in a number of states, including big super tuesday states like Ohio. He needs a Michigan win (polling is near tied) or he's going to get badly crippled.

He's still the front runner in my opinion but the numbers don't reflect that at the moment.

Santorum doesn't really poll strong outside the midwest, I have no idea why he's so strong here. Gingrich is still relatively strong in the south and takes directly from Santorum. Romney and Paul are strong in more liberal states.

I think if things don't change, a brokered convention is inevitable.

24 Feb 2012, 1:25 am

Declension wrote:
I am vaguely following American politics, and it seems very plausible to me that Republican candidate Mitt Romney has some kind of high-functioning autism. He is often described as being like an alien, or a robot, finds odd things to be amusing, and genuinely seems to have an extremely simple, naive personality. He was an "energetic child", and he has achieved success in a field that most people would find boring (venture capitalism).

He is often accused of "having no convictions", or "having no personality", which reminds me a lot of many people with Asperger's syndrome. He simply is not an ideologue, and just wants to try to do his best.

But the clincher was when I saw this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHaMqHh5NZ4

Everything about this clip screams "Asperger's" to me. He is actually being quite genuine, but the way he describes his feelings is very odd. His description of "the right height for trees" reminds me hugely of the sort of thing that aspies say. Also, he clearly had a special interest in cars, and is probably not exaggerating when he says that he had a photographic memory for them.

I think that he is a very misunderstood figure. He isn't a heartless monster, he's an aspie who maybe has a very naive idea of how the world works.

Is this some kind of sick joke?

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 6:27 am

DC wrote:
I don't think that performance was very aspie at all, it looked like a normal person that was on speed.

Lol, yes some of his most recent performances have been very entertaining... I know you are talking about... his Michigan rant about the great lakes and the trees being one of them (yes, I get most of my political news from the Daily Show, don't judge me! :))

However, I see it as a transparent attempt to win people over. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be a very good actor. Aww, poor guy.

Lol, I don't know what to think of Romney, there is something oddly likable about him, but he's not fooling me and that is what is so painful about watching him.

I found some of his debate tactics extremely entertaining and humorous. But still I will never in 100 years vote for a Republican. I just won't do it

I like Ron Paul the best as a human being, but I'm just not so sure I agree entirely with his libertarian principles.

SEV3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

Check out this article from today's NYTimes: The Long Run By Michael Barbaro "Legislators Recall Governor Who Didn't Mingle". Am interested in what you think about it? It made me do a search that led me to this discussion.