Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rastaking
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2012, 5:37 pm

I think America would be a much better place today if only educated immigrants, not the many uneducated Europeans, had immigrated to it. That way America wouldn't be stuck in the 1950s while European countries are living in 2012. The last time most Western and Northern European countries had a debate about who pays for health care (and many other social services) was during World War II. We still have a lot of people in the USA who seem to think their planet is flat.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 5:55 pm

rastaking wrote:
I think America would be a much better place today if only educated immigrants, not the many uneducated Europeans, had immigrated to it. That way America wouldn't be stuck in the 1950s while European countries are living in 2012. The last time most Western and Northern European countries had a debate about who pays for health care (and many other social services) was during World War II. We still have a lot of people in the USA who seem to think their planet is flat.

Should've, would've, could've. At least we'll know who to blame when the light at the top of the drain disappears, and we're flushed into oblivion.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Diederick
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2012, 6:34 pm

I agree, though I wouldn't like to think of how Europe would have ended up would all the intellectuals have left it. Especially with the rise of Islam, the relative isolation of the USA from this cultural clash might be the best for the world. Though the extreme Christian presence in America is something to worry about as well...

rastaking
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

Personally I think the reason America has a failing education system is because there are so many trashy people in the USA who don't care if their kids learn or not. The average American cares a lot less about education than the average European.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2012, 9:26 pm

That's one way to look at it and it's very valid. Another way is that an educated, critical thinking population is not in the interests of a post-industrial, consumer based society.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm

I thought America has become a toilet.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

I think there's a lot of causes for the problems in America, but that's not one that comes to mind

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 12:44 am

Diederick wrote:
I agree, though I wouldn't like to think of how Europe would have ended up would all the intellectuals have left it. Especially with the rise of Islam, the relative isolation of the USA from this cultural clash might be the best for the world. Though the extreme Christian presence in America is something to worry about as well...

I think the big problem is when a culture that see's itself as the king on the hill starts to feel itself getting knocked off balance and possibly bound for decline, the people that endure such a blow to their collective national ego start to hole up and look backwards rather the forwards. I think WWII humiliated and shell-shocked Europe to some degree. Europeans were attacked and endured devastation on their own home soil while Americans got to return home triumphant and received the biggest economic boom in human history. Since then the USA has been insulated and can't really take a hit to it's ego without going into a reactionary rage and irrational demand to return to the good old days. If you think about it deeply this is EXACTLY what happened with the Islamic world, only to a much more extreme degree. It also happened to Germany after it got it's nose bloodied in WWI. People turn to irrational regressivism whenever the national psyche gets damaged. You noticed right-wingers get all red faced and huffy over even a hint of "Apologizing for America" as Mittens called it because they are stubborn and afraid of self-analysis. Regressive ideology is against all forms of national introspection and prefers ignorant blind faith that it is "exceptional" and immune from problems other nations face. It's the ideology of a stupid stubborn butt-hurt child.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

The educated Europeans had no reason to move. If you stop the uneducated ones to come, you just... don't have immigration at all. So... yeah, since the United States were basically built on immigration (literally, because they excluded the American Indians), it's kind of self-defeating.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 10:33 am

rastaking wrote:

You can look back just two generations to find the start of the decline.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 10:55 am

What did for the US in that regard is the self-mythology and the history, and how a lot of this has been used against the interests of the majority. They're a young country.

I also think it's because a lot of those leaving Europe for whatever reason often couldn't bring anything with them but their religion (which may well have been why they left).

Speaking from the UK, we have plenty of idiocies. All you have to do is wave a flag and have a go at some 'Other' and a lot of people will think you're making a good point. We are presently seeing the running down and privatisation of the NHS and government in general. Who knows, you may get public healthcare just as we say goodbye to ours.

rastaking
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

I think it's tragic that 99% of Americans seem completely ignorant of the fact that the developed European countries (not all of Europe) is lightyears ahead of the USA, which is still living in the Dark Ages.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:04 pm

America,the melting pot where s#%t rises to the top.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:12 pm

Misslizard wrote:
America,the melting pot where s#%t rises to the top.

actually, the crap sinks to the bottom.

ruveyn

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:28 pm

rastaking wrote:
I think it's tragic that 99% of Americans seem completely ignorant of the fact that the developed European countries (not all of Europe) is lightyears ahead of the USA, which is still living in the Dark Ages.

Can you elaborate? Measured by GDP the United States seems to beat every single European country (tax heavens and oil economies exempted).

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 3:02 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYAB9mK6n0A&feature=related[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList