Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Cars are the most stupid invention in the history of mankind. And most overrated too.

We drive those 4 ton pieces of trash. I mean, think about it, whenever you drive your whole family around with your car, you are actually spending 90% of your energy on moving the godamn car. What a genius idea!

You haven't ridden in the golf mk6. American cars are pants.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvYVaMxaFM[/youtube]

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

Billybones wrote:
For many, many reasons, not just the automobile, I'm grateful to be alive today rather than a century ago. If I'd been alive then, I probably would have been imprisoned or institutionalized.

If you were born a century ago, your values and mentalities would be so completely different it is impossible to know. (Although since you are in the autistic community, your statement is probably more valid than for most.)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:55 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Cars are the most stupid invention in the history of mankind. And most overrated too.

We drive those 4 ton pieces of trash. I mean, think about it, whenever you drive your whole family around with your car, you are actually spending 90% of your energy on moving the godamn car. What a genius idea!

Aside from not traveling, what solution would you offer. Traveling in any vehicle means energy must be expended in moving the vehicle. We cannot wish ourselves over long distances without vehicles.

And if you think we should live in highly concentrated areas near railways, think again. When people had a chance to get out of the cities they ran as fast as their legs could carry them.

Cities are a place where people who do not look like you and do not smell like you gather all about you.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 20 Mar 2012, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:36 am

I think America needs to invest more in public transit. Here in Portland, they are considering a huge price hike of the transit system, if they pass it, which I doubt they will, hardly anyone will be able to afford, or will wish, to ride our transit system anymore. Basically, we will become no better than a typical Texan city.

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

Billybones wrote:
^Agreed, there's no doubt about the drag that high energy prices can put on economic growth. And we all know how cranky Americans can be when gasoline gets expensive. I guess the Republicans have finally found their election issue. But most thinking people understand that there's no short-term fix to this, that we can't bring down gasoline prices by passing a law.

Really?

Certainly you are familiar with the profits currently being brought in by the big oil companies, right?

Your Aspie score: 130 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
EQ Score: 37/100 ("low empathy")

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2012, 7:16 pm

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/2 ... ax-breaks-

Senate votes to repeal Big Oil tax breaks. Good for the Senate.

EDIT: Nevermind. The bill failed to pass in the Senate. I mis-read the headline.

EDIT AGAIN: Nevermind again. It was cloture that was voted against. GOP filibuster rages. Debate on the bill is ongoing.

Your Aspie score: 130 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
EQ Score: 37/100 ("low empathy")

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 10:20 pm

Where I live, not having a car isn't an option for me. I don't have one right now, only my husband does. It makes things very difficult. It's a small town, but it's hilly. I get winded walking up and down the hills and there aren't sidewalks anywhere but on the main road. Yes, everything is fairly close together, and I do need to get into shape, but bringing groceries home, etc without a car just can't be done here.

We have no public transportation, but there is the bus lady who has a car that she will take you anywhere in town round trip for 10 bucks. That's too much to go less than three miles, but if I have to go somewhere I use her if my husbands not home and I can't get another ride.

I know that everybody having their own car causes us to be more dependant on foreign oil and it increases polution, but where I live there is no choice. Even when I lived in the city, I usually had a car. There was a bus service in all of the city and they even expanded it into the really good areas so people's maids could come to work. (really, that was the reason lol) I used the bus sometimes when we lived in the city, but not that often. I could use a cab when I needed one but that wasn't often either. I could actually walk places easier when we lived there, and especially when we lived closer to downtown and not out in the suburbs.

We had a friend who moved to our city from Ojai california, back in the mid 80's. He said that in Ojai, lots of people walked or took the bus. He was shocked that we would drive two blocks to the convenience store, or that most people who could easily take the bus just wouldn't.

Public transportation just won't work in some places. In Birmingham, the bus service worked well, but people who didn't have to use it wouldn't use it. It was seen as "tacky" or "trashy" to ride it if you didn't have to. Something like the subway would never work there, because people just wouldn't use it.

I'd love to have a bus system where I live, but there never will be. One bus and a simple bus route would be really good, but this town won't do it for anything. Hell, we only recently got alcohol sales in this town, so bus service is probably way down the line.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:12 am

Gas is $4.15 here at the moment.
It takes me 45 minutes to get to and from school, driving on the interstate.

to his Interest."

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:16 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Still half the price of what it is in most of Europe.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:30 am

Tequila wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Still half the price of what it is in most of Europe.

I spent $60 on gas last week. >.<

to his Interest."

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:44 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Where I live, not having a car isn't an option for me. I don't have one right now, only my husband does. It makes things very difficult. It's a small town, but it's hilly. I get winded walking up and down the hills and there aren't sidewalks anywhere but on the main road. Yes, everything is fairly close together, and I do need to get into shape, but bringing groceries home, etc without a car just can't be done here.

We have no public transportation, but there is the bus lady who has a car that she will take you anywhere in town round trip for 10 bucks. That's too much to go less than three miles, but if I have to go somewhere I use her if my husbands not home and I can't get another ride.

I know that everybody having their own car causes us to be more dependant on foreign oil and it increases polution, but where I live there is no choice. Even when I lived in the city, I usually had a car. There was a bus service in all of the city and they even expanded it into the really good areas so people's maids could come to work. (really, that was the reason lol) I used the bus sometimes when we lived in the city, but not that often. I could use a cab when I needed one but that wasn't often either. I could actually walk places easier when we lived there, and especially when we lived closer to downtown and not out in the suburbs.

We had a friend who moved to our city from Ojai california, back in the mid 80's. He said that in Ojai, lots of people walked or took the bus. He was shocked that we would drive two blocks to the convenience store, or that most people who could easily take the bus just wouldn't.

Public transportation just won't work in some places. In Birmingham, the bus service worked well, but people who didn't have to use it wouldn't use it. It was seen as "tacky" or "trashy" to ride it if you didn't have to. Something like the subway would never work there, because people just wouldn't use it.

I'd love to have a bus system where I live, but there never will be. One bus and a simple bus route would be really good, but this town won't do it for anything. Hell, we only recently got alcohol sales in this town, so bus service is probably way down the line.

i always doubt the it isnt possible here,

if its possible in greenland, for distances higher than 3 miles, its possible where you live.
groceries? even today i walk around 2 miles with groceries, that said i dont have a family to shop for.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

Oodain wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

if its possible in greenland, for distances higher than 3 miles, its possible where you live.
groceries? even today i walk around 2 miles with groceries, that said i dont have a family to shop for.

Well, I have a family to shop for, and I'm 48 and out of shape. I also would have to walk about a mile of hilly road with no sidewalk each way to the grocery store. If I were 21 there might be a difference, but I'm almost 48. The hills are pretty steep here for walking and I can't even ride a bike up them because my legs aren't strong enough. Also, I'd have to walk back carrying a lot of bags. Would you suggest that I walk a mile one way to the Dollar Store and walk back with a 20 lb bag of dog food, a 12 roll package of toilet paper, a 6 roll package of paper towels, a gallon of Pine Sol and a large box of laundry soap? I can't carry all that from the car to the house in one trip. Also, if I buy it in smaller quantities it costs more.

I don't care if you doubt it or not. Until you are an out of shape 48 year old woman living in my town, with my family to buy for and my budget to use, your doubts don't really count.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 8:48 am

the point wasnt that there isnt circumstances i even added the qualifier of family,

the point is that there are places that have been hit far worse and people that deal with what is most certainly more extreme conditions yet all we care about is the few dollars extra we have to give for a particular service.

as for your age, nothing to do with it, there are plenty of people older than you that have a better physical shape than me, despite the time i spend excercising.
so while it may be possible you cant personally live without a car where you live it is most certainly possible.

(my entire first response was to say that your exact location has less to do with it than the people involved)

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

Oodain wrote:
the point wasnt that there isnt circumstances i even added the qualifier of family,

the point is that there are places that have been hit far worse and people that deal with what is most certainly more extreme conditions yet all we care about is the few dollars extra we have to give for a particular service.

as for your age, nothing to do with it, there are plenty of people older than you that have a better physical shape than me, despite the time i spend excercising.
so while it may be possible you cant personally live without a car where you live it is most certainly possible.

(my entire first response was to say that your exact location has less to do with it than the people involved)

Most people here are in the same boat I'm in. Your opinion of what someone can or can't do doesn't change facts. Just because one person is able to do something doesn't mean someone else is. I'm able to hold a job if I were to want one, I'm able to find a romantic partner and stay married for 25 years, I'm able to socialize and make phone calls, I'm able to speak up for myself when someone tries to intimidate me. The forum is filled with aspies who say they can't do those things. Should the be told "I can do them and other people who have worse problems can do them, so you should be able to do them"? I've told many that they could learn to do them, but some people have so much anxiety about things and so many sensory problems with things that they can't.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Oodain wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Well, I have a family to shop for, and I'm 48 and out of shape. I also would have to walk about a mile of hilly road with no sidewalk each way to the grocery store. If I were 21 there might be a difference, but I'm almost 48. The hills are pretty steep here for walking and I can't even ride a bike up them because my legs aren't strong enough. Also, I'd have to walk back carrying a lot of bags. Would you suggest that I walk a mile one way to the Dollar Store and walk back with a 20 lb bag of dog food, a 12 roll package of toilet paper, a 6 roll package of paper towels, a gallon of Pine Sol and a large box of laundry soap? I can't carry all that from the car to the house in one trip. Also, if I buy it in smaller quantities it costs more.

I don't care if you doubt it or not. Until you are an out of shape 48 year old woman living in my town, with my family to buy for and my budget to use, your doubts don't really count.

Hell.
I'm 24, in relatively good shape, and couldn't lug what little I buy to and from my (7 mile away) grocery on foot.

People who live in places without suburban sprawl (IE, with a bakery half a block away, or something) or places with good public transit have no idea about the necessity of cars in America. Where I'm from (a small town) I'd have to drive FIFTEEN miles to the grocery.

to his Interest."

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
People who live in places without suburban sprawl (IE, with a bakery half a block away, or something) or places with good public transit have no idea about the necessity of cars in America. Where I'm from (a small town) I'd have to drive FIFTEEN miles to the grocery.

This ^