Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
People who live in places without suburban sprawl (IE, with a bakery half a block away, or something) or places with good public transit have no idea about the necessity of cars in America. Where I'm from (a small town) I'd have to drive FIFTEEN miles to the grocery.

This ^

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Considering how much oil Canada has you'd think our gas prices would be reasonable. They aren't. The prices are completely whimsical and unrelated to reality
No kidding, I just paid 1.31/L!

Trigas wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
People who live in places without suburban sprawl (IE, with a bakery half a block away, or something) or places with good public transit have no idea about the necessity of cars in America. Where I'm from (a small town) I'd have to drive FIFTEEN miles to the grocery.

This ^
Seconded.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Cars are the most stupid invention in the history of mankind. And most overrated too.

We drive those 4 ton pieces of trash. I mean, think about it, whenever you drive your whole family around with your car, you are actually spending 90% of your energy on moving the godamn car. What a genius idea!

What do you propose? Motor powered rollers skates? How fast could one go. And what about weather. One needs a closed container to keep the rain and snow off. Perhaps lighter cars?

ruveyn

30 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
I actually welcome high gas prices. It always spurs investment and research into renewable energy and does make people drive less, lowering CO2 emissions. Perhaps if they stay high long enough the government will invest in mass transit. (Wait, did I actually say that? Pffft! Who am I kidding?)

I guess you have the luxury of being unconcerned about efficiency and cost-effectiveness. The less AMERICANS drive, the slower the economy moves. You're entitled to your opinion, but I've had enough of politicians like you in power who are driving up the cost of energy and transportation. :x

Furthermore, it's time for Uncle Sam to enact legislation dictating that ANY petroleum products that come from US reserves and/or extracted on American territory cannot be exported! All in favor say "I". :P

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:22 pm

When supply and demand for gas becomes a problem in certin ares Gas prices, will rise in those areas it's just common since really.

30 Mar 2012, 7:35 pm

Joker wrote:
When supply and demand for gas becomes a problem in certin ares Gas prices, will rise in those areas it's just common since really.

Ahhhhhh........good ol' supply side economics!

Turns out that market forces are not predictable by "common sense". Oil companies care about 1 thing and 1 thing only: profits. They will charge as much money for gasoline as they can get away with so long as they're still making a profit. This is NOT a recap of the early 1970s where the supply was too low due to an embargo of imported oil. There is currently a surplus of gasoline(which means the supply > demand) and yet domestic fuel prices are RISING! How is that *common sense* , eh? The reason for this is that Oil companies figure they can make more money by exporting fuel while charging higher prices for American consumers. Try that on for size.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:41 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:

Turns out that market forces are not predictable by "common sense". Oil companies care about 1 thing and 1 thing only: profits. They will charge as much money for gasoline as they can get away with so long as they're still making a profit. This is NOT a recap of the early 1970s where the supply was too low due to an embargo of imported oil. There is currently a surplus of gasoline(which means the supply > demand) and yet domestic fuel prices are RISING! How is that *common sense* , eh? The reason for this is that Oil companies figure they can make more money by exporting fuel while charging higher prices for American consumers. Try that on for size.

Really now In my state when prices of Gas go up in a country the Gas supply for the county is low their for making the prices of Gas rise America should foucus on purchasing Kurd oil the same as China and Russia does then when the Kurd oil is all gone everyone will come to America wanting to buy our gas then you will see true Gas prices but we will not be the ones paying for the high gas prices other countries that pay for our gas will cost them a arm and a leg so to speak so yes its common sense really.

30 Mar 2012, 7:53 pm

Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:

Really now In my state when prices of Gas go up in a country the Gas supply for the county is low their for making the prices of Gas rise America should foucus on purchasing Kurd oil the same as China and Russia does then when the Kurd oil is all gone everyone will come to America wanting to buy our gas then you will see true Gas prices but we will not be the ones paying for the high gas prices other countries that pay for our gas will cost them a arm and a leg so to speak so yes its common sense really.

The US government is not in the oil business and if they were, they'd either have to obtain a monopoly(which wont happen) or effectively compete with private oil companies(which cant happen). You're also neglecting the CO$T of importing oil since it has to be transported thousands of miles across the ocean and then refining it when it's cheaper to use oil that's already here and refined + ready to use. While there is enough petroleum to meet the demand here in the US at the present time, there really isn't enough to export in large quantities while still keeping prices low(unlike Russia, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia). This is why there is debate in Congress over authorizing oil exploration off California, BTW.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 8:03 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:

The US government is not in the oil business and if they were, they'd either have to obtain a monopoly(which wont happen) or effectively compete with private oil companies(which cant happen). You're also neglecting the CO$T of importing oil since it has to be transported thousands of miles across the ocean and then refining it when it's cheaper to use oil that's already here and refined + ready to use. While there is enough petroleum to meet the demand here in the US at the present time, there really isn't enough to export in large quantities while still keeping prices low(unlike Russia, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia). This is why there is debate in Congress over authorizing oil exploration off California, BTW.

We have the largest supply of oil natural gasess ect we are in deed in the oil business but the goverment should at least have a say in the matter of oil policy and prices that are made if we where in the oild business then we should have a fascist economic approach to it.

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Yup! Due to the ways in which huge portions of the country developed, cars are a necessity. I know it from personal experience. I sure need a car to do the things that I need to do every day!

Your Aspie score: 130 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
EQ Score: 37/100 ("low empathy")

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

I have been living on my own since last year. I spend at least 80 to 100$ on Gas weekly the area I live in so small that the nearest grocery storel is a least 30 miles away. Not to meniton how much I pay for food, the cable bill, water bill, power bill, It's not easy living on your own. I went to the grocery store, yesterday ended up paying 76$ and 34cents this week rent will be 450$ I'm just glad I know how to do taxes that's what my EC class taught me to do in High School.