Page 10 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:04 am

DC wrote:
If nice middle class white Canadian women were being treated in the same way by white men, Hyperlexian would be furious but because they are muslim women it's too culturally sensitive.

It is a totally racist viewpoint that puts rights for white women far above rights for muslim women.

How else would you describe it puddingmouse? Hyperlexian is perfectly happy to wax lyrical about womens rights just so long as nobody mentions Islam. The second Islam comes up Hyperlexian tells us we should not discuss it and be more concerned with issues closer at home.

Precisely.

White Canadian/British/European (non-Muslim) men should be vilified for abusive and violent behaviour - and rightly so. Muslim men who do far worse to their own womenfolk in both Islamic countries and how this abhorrent and vile treatment is an officially practised, encouraged and endorsed part of state culture? Let's not talk about that too much. She's like a copy of The Guardian made flesh in her double standards and hypocrisy.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

Tequila wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
That was posted in an ANONYMOUS thread.
It's still a slur and trivialises the genuine victims of BPD.
So it's now no longer about you? Which grievance to you want to air?

Here it is again: "i think you have Borderline Personality Disorder".
Looks pretty innocuous to me.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

Cornflake wrote:

I don't have BPD. Using genuine disorders as insults is offensive to victims who actually have it.

Not too difficult to understand, is it?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

Tequila wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
I don't have BPD. Using genuine disorders as insults is offensive to victims who actually have it.

Not too difficult to understand, is it?
Again: it was an ANONYMOUS comment.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:13 am

puddingmouse wrote:
It was more a statement of 'remove the beam from your own eye', than one that said 'Muslim women are different and you're not qualified to discuss them, ever'.

And why hasn't she locked this thread? That's because she's participating in the discussion, not moderating it. As for those other threads, I won't comment on that without them in front of me, but they were almost certainly locked because a rule break had occurred. If you break the rules, your thread gets locked. We don't go around locking threads simply because we disagree with them.

I find it problematic based on that the type of "deflection" or "red-herring" play she engages in is the same play that anyone to the left of center on the topic of multiculturalism or Islam goes to. There was a report from Norway where 100% of assault rapes in an area were done by men of "non-western" origin, the first comment was from a leader of an immigrant organization which went "well, we estimate that 16000 rapes occur every year, so Norwegian men rape too!"

If we were having a conversation about how horrid American beer is and some person chimed in "you know, Canadians make crap beer too" its not relevant to the discussion.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:14 am

Cornflake wrote:

Is it OK to 'anonymously' make libellous comments in that thread?

That thread is a place for mud-slinging that you don't have the balls to do face-to-face.

Frankly I think hyperlexian is unfit for the task of moderator and needs to be deposed.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:16 am

Tequila wrote:
DC wrote:
If nice middle class white Canadian women were being treated in the same way by white men, Hyperlexian would be furious but because they are muslim women it's too culturally sensitive.

It is a totally racist viewpoint that puts rights for white women far above rights for muslim women.

How else would you describe it puddingmouse? Hyperlexian is perfectly happy to wax lyrical about womens rights just so long as nobody mentions Islam. The second Islam comes up Hyperlexian tells us we should not discuss it and be more concerned with issues closer at home.

Precisely.

White Canadian/British/European (non-Muslim) men should be vilified for abusive and violent behaviour - and rightly so. Muslim men who do far worse to their own womenfolk in both Islamic countries and how this abhorrent and vile treatment is an officially practised, encouraged and endorsed part of state culture? Let's not talk about that too much. She's like a copy of The Guardian made flesh in her double standards and hypocrisy.

Havent seen her say anything of the sort ever, feel free to post a link where she actually says that(ie not one of you putting words in her mouth) *and Ive talked with her for a while but let us just assume that she did say it at some point:

How is that any different to your racism towards muslims?. Why are you picking on her supposed hatred for caucasian males when you are doing the same thing on Muslms?.

*if said link doesnt exist thats a personal attack and if she had anything against you she could send you a last warning and ban you right away

Last edited by spongy on 21 Mar 2012, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:16 am

spongy wrote:
We dont have anything pro/against any religion.

That being said when you accuse a mod of being racist and several personal attacks are exchanged we all get a link to look at things to see if the mod went too far... this topic seemed interesting so I thought Id join in.

I encourage you to reduce the personal attacks on a mod if you dont want other mods to have a look at your thread.

Fair enough.

For the record, I do still stand by my accusation of racism though.

I would like to know how exactly one looks at the scale and seriousness of abuse of religious minorities, women and homosexuals that are endemic across not just Islamic countries but the majority of Islamic culture and decide that it is of lesser importance than the persecution these groups face in western secular societies.

The only way that view logically holds together is if the suffering of a white Canadian woman is far more important than the suffering of an Afghan muslim woman.

By definition, that is racism.

I don't think it's fair to labour this point any further in Hyperlexian's absence, so I'll shut it until she has had time to respond.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:19 am

spongy wrote:
How is that any different to your racism towards muslims?

I'll answer the rest later but just for you, I'll point this out...

Islam is not a race. It is a religion (some might call it a cult). Big difference.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

TM wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
It was more a statement of 'remove the beam from your own eye', than one that said 'Muslim women are different and you're not qualified to discuss them, ever'.

And why hasn't she locked this thread? That's because she's participating in the discussion, not moderating it. As for those other threads, I won't comment on that without them in front of me, but they were almost certainly locked because a rule break had occurred. If you break the rules, your thread gets locked. We don't go around locking threads simply because we disagree with them.

I find it problematic based on that the type of "deflection" or "red-herring" play she engages in is the same play that anyone to the left of center on the topic of multiculturalism or Islam goes to. There was a report from Norway where 100% of assault rapes in an area were done by men of "non-western" origin, the first comment was from a leader of an immigrant organization which went "well, we estimate that 16000 rapes occur every year, so Norwegian men rape too!"

If we were having a conversation about how horrid American beer is and some person chimed in "you know, Canadians make crap beer too" its not relevant to the discussion.

the reason people continously say that they arent alone is because they arent, do you knwo how much of a sub section fo norway they talked about?
1 county probably, sometimes as small as 3000 people in norway so among those 3000 the only rape that occured was by an immnigrant and suddenly you claim a 100%?

if it was a town then there are plenty with a size of a hundred and fifty people.

but in essence the reason why it pisses me off to see people demonize a single culture, even if deserved to a greater or lesser extent is that they rarely take care of their own shortcomings before trying to find a scapegoat for the worlds troubles.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Tequila wrote:
That thread is a place for mud-slinging that you don't have the balls to do face-to-face.
So you're accusing moderators of using that thread to anonymously insult members?
Quote:
Frankly I think hyperlexian is unfit for the task of moderator and needs to be deposed.
I think you've made similar provocative comments about other moderators too, haven't you?

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 10:34 am

Oh hi, just wandered in here to check the thread because I was bored and found a giant fight about a moderator. Since I don't have a dog in this fight (or so much as an infraction), I'm going to go ahead and say this: grow up, Tequila. Hyperlexian hasn't done anything wrong or unfair in this thread or any other I've seen her posting in, and frankly you do come across as being bigoted and intolerant. Deal with it and move on or do something about it, but either way quit crapping this thread up with it, hey?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:35 am

Tequila wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Is it OK to 'anonymously' make libellous comments in that thread?

I think you should ease up on hyperlexian. She and I strongly disagree on some things and have argued to a standstill before, but she at least showed grace in withdrawing from the discussion rather than playing the "mod card". Some in this thread have suggested this might be the case elsewhere, and if so, I feel badly that she felt she had to. But that doesn't make her a terrible mod. At worst she should just have to choose whether to act in the role of mod OR PPR participant. PPR is not an easy place to moderate since it is so easy to confuse attacks on views as personal attacks. I have seen more dangerously biased and emotional mods in here than hyperlexian, and regardless of my personal feelings on the matter, I've never felt the need to call for their removal. It's also a pretty low thing to do in her absence.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:37 am

Lord_Gareth: where d'you live? If you live in Canada, I can understand my views coming across as a bit intolerant if relations between Muslims and wider society is generally very good there (I haven't spent enough time in Canada to really comment). Individual Muslims - depending on where they live and their outlook - are often very much like the rest of us and want no hassle either. It's a very mixed bag here in the UK I think.

Last edited by Tequila on 21 Mar 2012, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:38 am

spongy wrote:
Tequila wrote:
DC wrote:

Precisely.

Havent seen her say anything of the sort ever, feel free to post a link where she actually says that(ie not one of you putting words in her mouth) *and Ive talked with her for a while but let us just assume that she did say it at some point:

*if said link doesnt exist thats a personal attack and if she had anything against you she could send you a last warning and ban you right away

Page 7 of this thread.
hyperlexian wrote:
maybe work on fixing your internal problems before demonising other cultures or religions.

Granted I was paraphrasing, but the sentiment is roughly the same I think.

There is also this (in response to Hyperlex) if you get the impression it is just me and Tequila ganging up on Hyper:

NarcissusSavage wrote:
Why are you being intentionally blind to how hurtful the Islamic dogma is to the welfare of women all across the world?

For the record, I don't think Hyperlexian should be deposed, but I do think she should do some soul searching about moral double standards and hopefully if she rejoins this debate I will be able to demonstrate the moral bankruptcy of her position.

PS I know I said I would shut it, but a felt the need to respond to the request for a quote and ban threat.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:38 am

AngelRho wrote:
It's also a pretty low thing to do in her absence.

Yeah, I agree. I just feel like she has an unfair advantage in the discussion in that she is a mod and I'm on the opposing side during the discussion. I feel as though she is using her position unfairly in this case.