A question for Atheists would you ban or outlaw Religion if

Page 3 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
Of course I wouldn't ban religion. Very few atheists would, I think. I would remove the charitable status from churches and turn any public religious schools into secular ones. And I'd remove any reference to god from the constitution and the national anthem (I'm referring to the Canadian ones by the way).

The French version:
Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Translated for you Franctards:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights

My suggested changes:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the beer.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in beer

This will result in:

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la biere!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de biere trempée,

This just may be the way to settle the sovereignty issue once and for all...

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

That's a really good question. I would have a segregated society, separate communities for Atheists and the Religious and a guaranteed right to move from one to another. I'd also have an oversight board that would prevent the religious from indoctrinating someone into believing that a compromised religious existence is better for them than an Atheist one. This would solve the issue entirely. The religious would get to weed people out and the Atheists could take care of them and be free of religion. Freedom for everyone, not just the religious. Some of us just don't want it in our part of society. The Atheist sector would also have the right to make laws to protect themselves from the continual infringement of religion and any religious text that said the whole world would have to submit to religion or else would be banned and burned. No exceptions. Rewrite it or find another one, my country wouldn't allow goals to exist that denied the freedoms of Atheists.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 3:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nope, though I think we should keep religion out of the legal policies instead of using it as an excuse to keep things like gay marriage illegal.

I've been seriously considering the possibility that homosexuality is something they made up for religion and that it only exists because we are told it does. That we have this concept or belief in homosexuality programmed into us for control purposes and some people actually come to believe they are gay when they aren't gay. If I had gay feelings, I would start re-evaluating myself to see if I was really gay or not. There were times for me that I felt as though I might be gay as a kid, but I later realized I only felt that way because there was such homophobia persisting in my environment. I mean I was actually wondering... If I liked members of the same sex the way I like the opposite, what kind would I like... How embarrassing would it have been for me if I had actually had sex with a man? I had friends in HS and MS that actually did try it apparently... though I never saw it... Kinda sick to think someone could be lead into a sexual preference that isn't who they are or that might not even exist! It has the potential to be some serious BS.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

abacacus wrote:
mikecartwright wrote:
America was founded on Christianity therefor Gay Marriage should be illegal in America.

False.

Just check the constitution. Separation of church and state.

Way too limited if you ask me... Check my earlier post that is a much better basis for government.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

I wouldn't if I had that kind of power, no, but I wouldn't be devastated if someone else made that decision for my people.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 4:10 pm

DC wrote:
I wouldn't ban religion but I would restrict it a bit more than it is now.

I would ban the making of any exemptions in laws on religious grounds.

I would remove the charitable status of religions and tax them as a business.

I would subject religions to the 'sales of goods and services act' - If I sell you a banana shampoo and claim it will lower your cholesterol, I am legal required to be able to prove that statement. If I sell you a holy banana and say that god guarantees it will cure cancer - the same laws should apply.

I would also hold preachers partially liable for the religiously motivated actions of their flock. - If you spend all your time preaching that devils posses children and then a mother that attends your church decides to torture her child to death on the grounds that they are possessed, the preacher of that church should also do some serious jail time.

Other than that, go nuts on the sky fairy front. :lol:

Rather it should read that if you make any claim that your religion can heal in and of itself and not with medical treatment or conspiracy to pay your medical bills... what a difficult argument this is to make it's almost as if in order to argue against religion, one has to argue with a sociopath. Nothing you say can have any effect on religion because religion says so... it's so fricken arrogant! Ok, let's try this again. Tests must be done in order to prove the efficacy of any claim made by religion or it may not be written. Jesus came back from the dead? Prove it! God can heal with magic and doesn't need human medicine? Prove it! It's amazing how short the bible would be if all of the statements about miracles had to be proven! Surely an all powerful God could do that sort of thing, right? Proof would be easy! All he'd have to do is say poof! and there would be proof! The claims of religion to affect disease must be evaluated by the FDA in the same manner as any other drug and compared with the efficacy of Atheism as a control.

Religion must also be banned from causing any disease to another person.

However in order to do this, religion pretty much has to be banned. Please don't take this as a replacement for my previous separated society... That is what I want, but for the regulation of religion on the religious side, they need to have rules and can't say what doesn't happen and can't conspire against citizens as this is criminal behavior.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

No.

But the horrible amount of money spent into science and critical thinking education will probably make religion fade away.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 4:35 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
No.

But the horrible amount of money spent into science and critical thinking education will probably make religion fade away.

Sadly this is not a hopeful statement... religion is more than just a bunch of idiots... it's a group of conspirators that has gotten way to big and overpowering. A safety zone must be established for those who wish to escape it.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:55 am

I'd be willing to accept all religions as long as they agree to take on one additional commandment: "Keep Thy Religion To Thyself."
:) RIP George Carlin.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:56 am

scubasteve wrote:
I'd be willing to accept all religions as long as they agree to take on one additional commandment: "Keep Thy Religion To Thyself."
:) RIP George Carlin.

I am one of the few religious people that do keep thy religion to thyself.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:07 am

No.

But i'd take away their tax exempt status at the drop of a political or policy suggestion.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:14 am

blauSamstag wrote:
No.

But i'd take away their tax exempt status at the drop of a political or policy suggestion.

Consider it suggested. :)

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:17 am

The religoious community do pay taxes if your talking about churches not getting taxed is because a church is not a business but a place of whorship.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:32 am

scubasteve wrote:
Joker wrote:
The religoious community do pay taxes if your talking about churches not getting taxed is because a church is not a business but a place of whorship.

Well yes, we're talking about the church organizations. And I hope there is no whorship going on there... don't think they'd take kindly :lol:

Well I think they should be taxed of course but the govermenent doesn't view them as a busniess but we do get taxed on things like electricity bill ect the church meembers do get taxed by the organization we give willingly to the church and every year the church pays a lot back in taxes to its coummunity saying we do not get taxed is not true we do at the end of the year.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 3:50 am

No, I would not ban religion if I ran the government. People should be able to pursue religion if they want to. Besides, it has been tried, and has only succeeded in driving it underground.

Hopefully, all people will eventually evolve beyond "belief without reason." Government can not, nor should not attempt to mandate this evolution.

Other posts in this thread have effectively dealt with the notion that the USA was established as some sort of Theocracy.

On the tax question, I would say that those parts of Church activity which are charitable should not be taxed. The rest should be taxed.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 4:14 am

abacacus wrote:
mikecartwright wrote:
America was founded on Christianity therefor Gay Marriage should be illegal in America.

False.

Just check the constitution. Separation of church and state.

Even considering that was true it would still be a fallacy.

There are way more mentions on the bible to the sanctity of a marriage and how marriages are a lifetime commitment. If you are going to use the bible argument you should first make sure that divorces are made illegal since its doing a bigger harm on what the bible teaches.

Since I havent seen any christian asking to ban divorces I call bs on this religious stance on same sex marriage
(Not encouraging anyone to do this just pointing out the double standard thats used with the religious stance on gay marriage/divorce)