Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

abacacus wrote:
Joker wrote:
abacacus wrote:
Joker wrote:
As long as their seperation of church from state churches will not get taxed :wink:

Not true. Separation of church and state means that religions have no influence on the state, not that churches are exempt from taxation.

True but the goverment doesnt tax churches because they stay out of church related things until they want to campign then it gets annoying.

Actually it's because churches are considered charities. Which is total BS.

Idk im not sure what to think about it really sure lots and lots of churches do charity work its one of the most common practices of the faith is charity.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

Churches make profits. They aren't charities.

You will reap what you've sown.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:00 pm

Charity

Church

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

mikecartwright wrote:
A question for Atheists would you ban or outlaw Religion if you could ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

I would do no such thing. People have an absolute right to be stupid. I would, however, remove tax exemptions for churches. Let them pay property tax, just like everyone else.

ruveyn

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

mikecartwright wrote:
America was founded on Christianity therefor Gay Marriage should be illegal in America.

What's this soapbox you seem to be on about gay people all about? This obsession is not healthy. You started a buttload (no pun intended) of threads about homosexuality. For real, what's the sudden issue with it?

If you aren't gay, don't worry about the fact that there are gay people, if that bothers you. What other consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes is none of your business at all. Their getting married won't effect you at all. Nobody will force you to marry another guy just because it's legal. If you aren't gay, then stop worrying so much about the existence of gay people. Your worrying about it wont change the facts.

Now, if you have some feelings of homosexuality of your own that are bothering you, it's quite common to lash out like you are doing. Sometimes spewing hatred toward gay people is the only way that someone can feel that he's truly not gay. So, if that's the problem we don't really need to hear on and on that you think being gay is wrong. I bet there's a bunch of fundamentalist forums out there where you can post to your little hearts content about how wrong you think being gay is, and all of you can revel in perceived straightness together.

Either way dude, it's sort of time to drop the "gay is wrong" thing. We know your opinion on it. Either let it go, or experiment with it to make absolutely certain that you aren't gay, and then let it go.

Thanks,

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

Religion is doing a fine job of banning itself. It's just a matter of time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

mikecartwright wrote:
America was founded on Christianity therefor Gay Marriage should be illegal in America.

Quote from the U.S. Constitution where it says that? There is not one word about Christianity in the U.S. Constitution. Not even a syllable.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

abacacus wrote:
Churches make profits. They aren't charities.

Well I dont see anything wrong with the church making a profit when the memmbers of the congregation are the ones giving the church money to fund mission trips and plus I donate a lot of my time and money to do good for my community like for example my church runs a soup kitchen people come to my church for the free food we are willing to pay for everything the food ect just to help out those in need.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 6:17 pm

I don't havea problem with churches making a profit. Without a profit they can't pay their employees or rent or utility bills, etc.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 6:20 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Charity

Church

:thumright:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I don't havea problem with churches making a profit. Without a profit they can't pay their employees or rent or utility bills, etc.

Charities have to pay all the same things, but you don't see them owning elaborate cathedrals.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

True that is right and it is the memmbers of the church that help pay those bills by giving to the church so they can have their programms do youth trips and go and do mission work.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 6:42 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Charities have to pay all the same things, but you don't see them owning elaborate cathedrals.

Some religions believe that by building such an elaborate building they are honoring their diety. I don't have a problem with that at all. In fact, I like pretty churches. Some religions are against the display of weath, others are for it.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 7:04 pm

Of course I wouldn't ban religion. Very few atheists would, I think. I would remove the charitable status from churches and turn any public religious schools into secular ones. And I'd remove any reference to god from the constitution and the national anthem (I'm referring to the Canadian ones by the way).

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Some religions believe that by building such an elaborate building they are honoring their diety. I don't have a problem with that at all. In fact, I like pretty churches. Some religions are against the display of weath, others are for it.

Yes many religions with in the christian faith are really agains the display of wealth so are some jews and muslims because they believe it represents the god of this world which is ungodly but life need adversity it makes life interesting.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
Of course I wouldn't ban religion. Very few atheists would, I think. I would remove the charitable status from churches and turn any public religious schools into secular ones. And I'd remove any reference to god from the constitution and the national anthem (I'm referring to the Canadian ones by the way).

The French version:
Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Translated for you Franctards:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights

My suggested changes:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the beer.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in beer

This will result in:

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la biere!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de biere trempée,

This just may be the way to settle the sovereignty issue once and for all...