Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

youngxmagexofxmyths
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2012, 8:47 am

Is anyone here into Paganism or the occult?

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 12:50 pm

I'm sure there are some Pagans here. My sister is a Pagan but I don't know as much about it as I should, so I'd be keen to hear everyone's different beliefs. From what I understand there is a wide variety of different beliefs and practices. What kind of Pagan are you? (e.g Neo-pagan, Norse, Celtic etc).

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm

The word pagan seems to have a shock value.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

My wife's Wiccan, but I'm an atheist. To be fair, though, I do tend to enjoy Pagan mythology much more than Judeo-Christian mythology.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:
I'm sure there are some Pagans here. My sister is a Pagan but I don't know as much about it as I should, so I'd be keen to hear everyone's different beliefs. From what I understand there is a wide variety of different beliefs and practices. What kind of Pagan are you? (e.g Neo-pagan, Norse, Celtic etc).

What's exactly 'to be Pagan'? I enjoy a lot Pagan stuff (I like mithology, folktales and similar, and I love Pagan Folk music and all the middle age stuff in general). But it's more like a hobby. But... 'Norse'? Is there actually people who believe in the old nordic gods?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

Some pagans are buying swords and using the to knight their men in shining armor. In medieval times I wonder how many men died because of that chivalry.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

Greb wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:

What's exactly 'to be Pagan'? I enjoy a lot Pagan stuff (I like mithology, folktales and similar, and I love Pagan Folk music and all the middle age stuff in general). But it's more like a hobby. But... 'Norse'? Is there actually people who believe in the old nordic gods?

Yep. They call themselves the Astaru (which is as close as I can get to spelling it properly on an American keyboard).

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Greb wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:

Yep. They call themselves the Astaru (which is as close as I can get to spelling it properly on an American keyboard).

I found it in the wiki. Yeap, difficult to spell. Well, it's a kind of nordic 'version' of the wicca. But anyway, believing in some natural forces as wiccan do, I can understand it up to a point... but believing in the old nordic mithology... damn...

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 1:26 pm

I mean I can understand Gaia theory as the Earth as a self regulating organism but ultimately we humans are in charge of the fate of the Earth when Gaia can no longer heal herself.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
The word pagan seems to have a shock value.

It is. Real "pagans" would never say they are. It is basically an insult.

I hope someone will explain all these "Pagan revivals" to me. I could see the point of reproducing rituals and religious practices in a spirit of historical reenactment, but that is all. Saying one "believes" in Norse religions is truly besides the point and a complete misunderstanding of pre-Christian religious practices

Last edited by enrico_dandolo on 17 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

I think some women like to be called "pagans" or "witches" because it makes them feel naughty.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

I think paganism appeals to some because it emphasizes a goddess

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

Can't decide which church to go to.

The Pagan, or the Heathen.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 3:00 pm

Not pagan exactly, though I tend to pray more to a goddess than to a god. I love mythology because it fits so well with my Jungian leanings. I also have been interested in astrology and tarot for many, many years. I've read a lot about Wicca, and basically all spiritual paths interest me. In fact I would say religious belief is a special interest of mine, though not as much now as when I was younger.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

I am Catholic but I have a very Native american spirituality. If what my grandmother used to say is true I am part Mohican. :D

youngxmagexofxmyths
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

I'm using the term Pagan as a term for wiccan, witch, magician, occultist. I've been into witchcraft for years but just recently (with in the last year) managed to develop to the point of better understanding the basic mechanics. But basically I'm a beginner.