Page 1 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Terlingua
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2012, 5:59 pm

Does anyone have any examples as to how feminism helps men? I am not looking for speculative or hypothetical answers, but actual real world examples of feminism helping the other sex. Thanks.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

Feminism hleps me because it has helped me view women as a person not as a gender.

Terlingua

21 Apr 2012, 6:21 pm

Joker wrote:
Feminism hleps me because it has helped me view women as a person not as a gender.

Thank you Joker, but that is an individual case, not all men in general. I never considered gender or race all that important. I have friends that incidentally happen to be female. I have friends that incidentally happen to be Asian. The important thing about them is that they are my friends, not whatever else they happen to be.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 6:27 pm

How do you define feminism?

Terlingua

21 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

That is an excellent question! Not to mention one that I have not given any thought to. I suppose that in this context I am defining feminism as the organized activism, campaigns, and lobbying of various groups that self identify as feminists.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

Guys who like to cook can actually cook for their families?

Male nurses?

Male flight attendants?

If it wasn't for feminism and gender equality the stereotypes wouldn't have allowed this.

Gosh this was easy.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 6:47 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Male nurses?

Male flight attendants?

If it wasn't for feminism and gender equality the stereotypes wouldn't have allowed this.

Gosh this was easy.

p*****s (sarcasm)

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 7:19 pm

Terlingua wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

That is an excellent question! Not to mention one that I have not given any thought to. I suppose that in this context I am defining feminism as the organized activism, campaigns, and lobbying of various groups that self identify as feminists.

We can unfairly lump them into two groups. Those who wish to elevate the social status of women to a state of equality with men, and those who wish to differentiate women as being superior to men.

If it's about equality, then women are participating more in the economy, which is good for all of us.

Except for the men who would otherwise have an advantage perhaps.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 7:50 pm

Terlingua wrote:
Joker wrote:

Thank you Joker, but that is an individual case, not all men in general. I never considered gender or race all that important. I have friends that incidentally happen to be female. I have friends that incidentally happen to be Asian. The important thing about them is that they are my friends, not whatever else they happen to be.

I was only speaking for myself not men just me their are a lot of things about feminism that I like.

Terlingua

21 Apr 2012, 8:44 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Male nurses?

Male flight attendants?

Gosh this was easy.

Yi Yin, the first famous prime minister in Chinese history, was a famous cook. And there has never been any social rules stating that a man could not cook for their family that I am aware of.

Saint Benedict started the Benedictine Nursing Order around 500 AD. It was all men. The Romans had nocomia before then, male care givers for the ill.

Before they were attendants, we used the word stewardess. The word is the feminine of steward. Trains, coaches, and ships had stewards. According to the Wikipedia entry for flight attendants, airlines originally employed men as stewards, and it was not until 1930 that the first woman landed a job as a stewardess. Her name was Ellen Church.

So now, for some reason or another, men are back to doing what they had always done. I'm not even sure that we can say that feminism is responsible for this, nor can I see anything to indicate that this is 'helpful' in any way. It looks like simple fluctuations of social and cultural trends. Nice try though. Thanks.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

*snort*
^so are we asking what feminism, a movement within modern western culture, has done for western culture, or are we asking what feminism, a movement within modern western culture, has done for humanity that had never occurred before in the entire history of the species anywhere?

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2012, 9:59 pm

LKL wrote:
*snort*
^so are we asking what feminism, a movement within modern western culture, has done for western culture, or are we asking what feminism, a movement within modern western culture, has done for humanity that had never occurred before in the entire history of the species anywhere?

Ayup, what you said.

Actual specific roles which we, as Westerners, think of as stereotypically male or female aside, there has always been a demarcation between male and female roles in society. Even in Ancient Egypt, which was remarkable progressive for the time, this was true.

Feminism, which promotes the equality of the sexes, is partially about eliminating the perception of one role belonging to only one gender, and instead allowing either gender to fill that role.

In this Western society, this means allowing women to fill roles that have been traditionally masculine, and men to fill traditionally feminine roles (the acceptance of men as nurses or stay-at-home fathers being two examples).

It was tense.

Terlingua

22 Apr 2012, 1:33 am

So I take it then that feminists do not promote equality issues that are not self serving. No protesting of unfair paternity laws in the name of equality. No call to increase healthcare research and funding of ailments that do not concern women, No attempts to correct the myth that only men are abusive. Their causes only benefit equality on accident on the rare occasion that it does.

I think that I'll stick to humanitarian causes that are honest and really are working for the betterment of everyone.

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2012, 1:50 am

Terlingua wrote:
So I take it then that feminists do not promote equality issues that are not self serving. No protesting of unfair paternity laws in the name of equality. No call to increase healthcare research and funding of ailments that do not concern women, No attempts to correct the myth that only men are abusive. Their causes only benefit equality on accident on the rare occasion that it does.

I think that I'll stick to humanitarian causes that are honest and really are working for the betterment of everyone.

...eh? How did you reach this conclusion?

Their causes benefit equality because they are working for equality.

It was tense.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 3:30 am

Terlingua wrote:

actually, they have done all of these things. thank you for reminding me.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2012, 3:49 am

I got 6 weeks off from work when my kid was born.