any reasons why marijuana should still be illegal?

Page 11 of 16 [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Pot is illegal because if you can't pass the drug test you don't get the job.

If pot wasn't illegal it would not prevent people from getting jobs...because it would be legal.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 6:13 pm

It should be illegal because when people smoke it they become much too passive and act as if they don't really care about what's happening around them even if they are in a life-threatening situation like a house fire. I saw this one time on Discovery Channel with Robin Williams where they did these experiments with different drug addicts. :) They also care a lot less about completing projects or responsibilities like jobs and raising kids and stuff. BTW I'm not really religious , but I am a Christian.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 7:02 pm

Subotai wrote:
It should be illegal because Jesus says so.
Jesus probably smoked a lot of pot he did seem very hippy like and looks like a hippie.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 7:13 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Subotai wrote:
It should be illegal because Jesus says so.
Jesus probably smoked a lot of pot he did seem very hippy like and looks like a hippie.

Me and J to the C would rip mad hits off his home-made giant bong, he was one hell of a carpenter

21 Jun 2012, 1:37 am

visagrunt wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well thanks for assuming I don't actually look into the opposing arguments to try and make sense of them. But I kind of have to disagree..with you there. Thing is I have looked into arguments as to why it should be illegal, and I just have not been able to find anything very convincing at all. I mean a recent study that came out in the last year even indicates cannabis does not cause lung cancer like was previously thought. It's been proven its not as dangerous as alcohol so there is the argument....two legal drugs that are worse for you are legal so why should cannabis be a crime?

If you're going to call things, "screwed up," (your words, not mine) you're going to invite speculation on the objectivity of your analysis.

And, of course, your analysis could equally suggest that rather than liberalizing marijuana, we should be looking at further restricting access to alcohol and tobacco!

Quote:
Then you can look into the reasons it was outlawed in the first place.......and if you can find in validity in the more or less racist reasons that were used let me know, but I found those to be pretty embarrassing to have as part of my history. But anyways I don't just dismiss opposing arguments I actually have looked into them and that is why I am of the opinion there really aren't a lot of valid reasons for it to be illegal.

There is value in the "mischief rule," to be sure. But the regulatory control of marijuana should be based on the merits of regulation today--not the lack of merits of prohibition yesterday. That fact that a law was based on a bad idea does not mean that the implementation of the law today is bad. (But I will certainly grant you that a bad idea certainly raises a presumption of bad law).

Quote:
What about all the studies that prove that cannabis has many medicinal uses? and all the states that have legalized marijuana? don't worry though according to the government it already is in the category that indicates little medicinal use. As inaccurate as that is. Also I cannot find a definition to the word psychotrope anywhere so I am not sure what that even means. I am aware cannabis is a minor psychedelic and LSD is obviously a stronger one. Also how do they figure LSD, cannabis and anti-depressants would be in the same category one of those certainly does not fit.

I'm a little torn about how to respond here.

In my medical opinion there are superior prescription and non-prescription drugs available for every symptom for which marijuana is claimed to be beneficial. But that being said, there are a lot of circumstances in which I seem marijuana presenting valuable combined effects. For example appetite stimulus and anti-anxiety effects are useful for patients undergoing chemotherapy. That's not to say that marijuana is the best choice, but I won't uncritically dismiss it as ineffective, either.

As for classification, pscyhotrope is another term for "psychoactive drug" which is any medicinal or non-medicinal agent that crosses the blood-brain barrier in order to act on the central nervous system. These drugs are then subclassified depending upon how they act upon the neurochemistry of the brain. LSD, different classes of anti-depressant and THC might work differently, on different neurotransmitters, but they all share the common property of interfering with existing neurochemistry.

Quote:
Yes smoking cannabis can contribute to some respiratory problems.....but that is a risk some are willing to take, there are certainly safer methods though if one wants to totally avoid all respiratory risks.

I agree with you.

But that does not mean that we are correct in the conclusion that this does not provide a rational basis on which to control marijuana cultivation, distribution and consumption.

Quote:
Ok so why can't use of cannabis be restricted in public? alcohol use is even restricted in public.........most people like to smoke somewhere out of the way anyways, at least that I've seen. I mean there are solutions to this that do not involve cannabis being illegal.

Again, we are dealing with a question of degree. Most legalization proponents that I know favour a loosely regulated environment--as I do. But there are certainly some who advocate a total elimination of controls of any kind. This is the trouble with the call to end prohibition--ending prohibition is all well and good, but with what do you propose to replace it?

Quote:
Alright well you could be right on that.......that is still not the same thing as The Hells Angels being in charge of all the marijuana, and small scale growers might be a drop in the bucket compared to some huge industrialized greenhouse provided the cannabis produced is good quality. But there are quite a few small scale growers and certainly plenty of people to buy from them.

I would argue the Hells Angels might not be very interested in marijuana if it became legal......but that is just based on when I was taking sociology and the topic of biker gangs came up. and the impression I get is they don't really want to be legitimately making a living so if marijuana was made legal they probably would end up with less influence over it. But I think it would just be better had it never been made illegal.

An interesting angle that I hadn't thought to consider. I don't really think of Hell's Angels as having romantic notions about the illegal nature of their businesses, but that might well be the case.

FYI: Not only is the *law* you mentioned based on a bad idea, it's implementation is far, FAR worse than the idea itself!

As far as the the medications that you mention that are alternatives to medical cannabis, many of them have side effects which range from unpleasant to potentially lethal. Drugs that are derived from naturally occurring compounds, particularly when there is a mixture of compounds being absorbed, tend to be not only more effective but have very unintentional and problematic side effects than synthetic compounds. Cannabis has certain anti-carcinogenic effects and it WAaaaaaaaaaaY less toxic than most chemotherapy drugs.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 2:46 am

It shouldn't be. As I stated in a post in a similar thread, the whole war on drugs is a farce and hasn't worked. You also have the issue of the constitutionality of drug laws and how drug offenses are treated by the justice system: For instance, you can get more time in prison for taking LSD than you can for both rape and murder combined, not kidding. Although since it seems most militant anti-drug folks think that one person smoking a joint is worse than millions of people being tortured and murdered in the Holocaust and hence have no problem with the aforementioned example, that might not change for some time. Alcoholism is bad, should we ban drinking, too?

Oh, wait a minute, we already tried that.

I'm sorry if I digressed any. /End rant.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 9:26 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
It shouldn't be. As I stated in a post in a similar thread, the whole war on drugs is a farce and hasn't worked. You also have the issue of the constitutionality of drug laws and how drug offenses are treated by the justice system: For instance, you can get more time in prison for taking LSD than you can for both rape and murder combined, not kidding. Although since it seems most militant anti-drug folks think that one person smoking a joint is worse than millions of people being tortured and murdered in the Holocaust and hence have no problem with the aforementioned example, that might not change for some time. Alcoholism is bad, should we ban drinking, too?

Oh, wait a minute, we already tried that.

I'm sorry if I digressed any. /End rant.

I thought that was for selling LSD, not just taking it...maybe it varies by state though or something, I really have no idea. Though I think LSD is a lot worse than rape and murder, and a lot more fun I would think.

Lillythepink
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

It suits the government for it to remain illegal.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 6:23 pm

Here's a couple gems from a DEA administrator.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFgrB2Wmh5s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ujs8mRkWM[/youtube]

I think she's high. Hypocrite!

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 6:53 pm

Lillythepink wrote:
It suits the government for it to remain illegal.

Anything that suits the government at the expense of the citizens is BS in my opinion.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

...to protect the children for goodness sake!

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2012, 10:06 pm

JNathanK wrote:

Its forbidden for adults too!

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 10:31 pm

JNathanK wrote:
Hopefully this is a joke

Lillythepink
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2012, 10:49 am

Its better to keep it illegal anyway.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

Lillythepink wrote:
why? It doesn't pose health risks, gateway drug has been Proven false countless times, and it needlessly puts a bunch of people in jail. It isn't even as bad as alcohol

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

Lillythepink wrote:

Why because you personally don't like it?