Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 4:45 pm

simon_says wrote:
Romney wants a constitutional amendment establishing marriage as between one man and one woman. Maybe his team believes that the minority who want that are especially motivated to vote on the issue. Or maybe he's compelled to do it to distance himself from his polygamist grandfather and/or the stranger elements of Mormonism.

I'm sure there is some political math behind it somewhere.

An odd part of that is that the executive branch plays no part in enacting constitutional amendments. It involves a super-majority (2/3) of the House and Senate, then 3/4 of all stated need to approve it to be ratified.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 4:55 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
In the cumming weeks, look for Mitt Romney to experience an epiphany and come out in favour of gay marriage, if he thinks that it will help him to win the election.

Though it must be remembered, Romney would lose his evangelical base were he to pull that stunt. Just recall how one of his - I think - communications people, who had been over qualified in his resume, had been forced to resign by the bitching and moaning of the evangelical bigots who seem to hold sway of the Romney campaign.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 4:34 am

I find this whole gay marriage thing so incredibly comical. I'm not even gay and when I see people talk about banning gays from marrying I want to go on a murdering spree. I mean I don't want to go actually kill anyway, it's more like I want to kill myself. It's like, how do I coexist with these people? What's going on, here? How can these people still be alive? That's not meant to be rude, I mean it kind of is, but it's kind of just like I'm dumbfounded. I see intelligent people all the time siding against gay marriage and it's weird. It's just really weird.

No, I will be very blunt when I say I don't have any respect for the position against gay marriage and I will never have a "logical debate" about it. I will simply rant and rave every time it comes up. It's just what I do.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 11:47 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
In the cumming weeks, look for Mitt Romney to experience an epiphany and come out in favour of gay marriage, if he thinks that it will help him to win the election.

I will laugh if that happens.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 2:25 pm

marshall wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

Do you know how Utah became a state. The Revelator of the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints had a message from God Himself to put an end to plural marriage. It so happens that this was the sticking point for Utah gaining statehood.

Why couldn't Mitt the Mormon have an epiphany?

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 4:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
marshall wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

Do you know how Utah became a state. The Revelator of the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints had a message from God Himself to put an end to plural marriage. It so happens that this was the sticking point for Utah gaining statehood.

Why couldn't Mitt the Mormon have an epiphany?

ruveyn

Again, the religious bigots who are barely able to stomach him, but are voting for him only because they despise President Obama more, would fall away, and just not vote this year (probably with a secret sigh of relief).

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 11:31 am

Mitt will handle that easily -- make Pat Robertson his vice president.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 11:38 am

Oldout wrote:

In such a case, I don't know if I'd die laughing, or die from mortification.

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 11:41 am

Bill, in either case bless you.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 12:22 pm

IMO...

Quote:
a. Protecting gays and lesbians against being fired for reasons of sexual orientation

Sure, as long as they can tone down the flamboyant behavior enough to avoid tension, and as long as Boy Scouts of America v. Dale is respected.
Quote:
b. Protections against bullying and harassment

NO! One rule of law for everyone! No hate crime legislation for anybody.
Quote:
c. Repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.

Hmmm...not sure.
Quote:
d. Right to visit partners in hospitals

I guess make the policies the same as if they had a heterosexual boyfriend/girlfriend.
Quote:
e. Protecting partners against loss of home in case of severe medical emergencies or death

I'll withhold comment until I am more familiar with the relevant laws as they exist now.
Quote:
f. Legal protection in some form for gay couples whether it be same sex marriage or domestic partnership (only 29% of Republicans oppose legal recognition in any form).

Sure, domestic partnership.

Quote:

Pat Robertson started going senile about 10 years ago and can't keep his doctrine or other beliefs internally consistent anymore.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 12:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Oldout wrote:

In such a case, I don't know if I'd die laughing, or die from mortification.

Well, I'm pretty sure Pat Robertson would argue against Romney's nomination to the hilt since he's 'not a Christian'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2012, 2:14 pm

John_Browning wrote:
IMO...
Quote:
a. Protecting gays and lesbians against being fired for reasons of sexual orientation

Sure, as long as they can tone down the flamboyant behavior enough to avoid tension, and as long as Boy Scouts of America v. Dale is respected.
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm...not sure.
Quote:

I guess make the policies the same as if they had a heterosexual boyfriend/girlfriend.
Quote:
e. Protecting partners against loss of home in case of severe medical emergencies or death

I'll withhold comment until I am more familiar with the relevant laws as they exist now.
Quote:
f. Legal protection in some form for gay couples whether it be same sex marriage or domestic partnership (only 29% of Republicans oppose legal recognition in any form).

According to this logic, rights for the heterosexual majority are inalienable, but rights for the homosexual minority are conditional - contingent on meeting a certain standard of behavior, which is naturally set by the majority. Thus, if we face discrimination, we have only ourselves to blame.

Boy, I can't even begin to describe how offensive these comments are. Either we have the right to equal rights & full citizenship or we don't. Apparently, it is your belief that gay people should have no expectations of equal rights & that second-class citizenship is right & just.

It's kind of like Turkey saying to its Kurdish minority, you can be free from discrimination and persecution . . . IF you stop speaking Kurdish & behave according to the demands of the ruling class. And even if those conditions are met, you will still be treated with suspicion & disdain.

On one other point, if the stat you cite is true, then there's a huge disconnect between the Republican Party leadership & its rank & file supporters. The Republican Party - if one is to believe its platform - basically has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to homosexuality. NO anti-discrimination laws. NO recognition of gay relationships. NO hate crime laws - if they list homosexuals as a protected class. NO openly gay soldiers in the military (they have vowed to reinstate the gay ban if they are returned to power). And if we are to judge the party by its actions, it's even worse: furious opposition to the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas Supreme Court decision, which struck down state sodomy laws; a long series of anti-gay initiatives on state ballots; support for a constitutional amendment forever outlawing same-sex marriage; and a long, documented history of fanning bigotry against gay people for political gain. To the Republican Party, homosexuality is a matter for the local vice squad, not for the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department. To the Republican Party, our love relationships are nothing more than dirty sex.

For us gay folks, it's been a long, frustrating march toward equality, & we're still a long way from achieving it. The Republican Party has consistently, furiously, ruthlessly opposed us every step of the way. Damn them & everything that they stand for.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 2:33 pm

Oldout wrote:
Bill, in either case bless you.

Thank you. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 2:34 pm

Billybones wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
IMO...
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm...not sure.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

According to this logic, rights for the heterosexual majority are inalienable, but rights for the homosexual minority are conditional - contingent on meeting a certain standard of behavior, which is naturally set by the majority. Thus, if we face discrimination, we have only ourselves to blame.

Boy, I can't even begin to describe how offensive these comments are. Either we have the right to equal rights & full citizenship or we don't. Apparently, it is your belief that gay people should have no expectations of equal rights & that second-class citizenship is right & just.

It's kind of like Turkey saying to its Kurdish minority, you can be free from discrimination and persecution . . . IF you stop speaking Kurdish & behave according to the demands of the ruling class. And even if those conditions are met, you will still be treated with suspicion & disdain.

On one other point, if the stat you cite is true, then there's a huge disconnect between the Republican Party leadership & its rank & file supporters. The Republican Party - if one is to believe its platform - basically has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to homosexuality. NO anti-discrimination laws. NO recognition of gay relationships. NO hate crime laws - if they list homosexuals as a protected class. NO openly gay soldiers in the military (they have vowed to reinstate the gay ban if they are returned to power). And if we are to judge the party by its actions, it's even worse: furious opposition to the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas Supreme Court decision, which struck down state sodomy laws; a long series of anti-gay initiatives on state ballots; support for a constitutional amendment forever outlawing same-sex marriage; and a long, documented history of fanning bigotry against gay people for political gain. To the Republican Party, homosexuality is a matter for the local vice squad, not for the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department. To the Republican Party, our love relationships are nothing more than dirty sex.

For us gay folks, it's been a long, frustrating march toward equality, & we're still a long way from achieving it. The Republican Party has consistently, furiously, ruthlessly opposed us every step of the way. Damn them & everything that they stand for.

You've got every right to be pissed off. No American's civil rights should be conditional.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 8:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmpf5-tuDEo[/youtube]

I think the whole debate over gay marriage is stupid. Doug Stanhope has the right idea.