Page 2 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 8:58 pm

The fact that so many species are extinct does not support the theory of evolution.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The fact that so many species are extinct does not support the theory of evolution.

That is a very large oversimplification of it

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:05 pm

Maybe there's a Theory of Extinction?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

What do you mean by that?

Though I did actually mention the vast amount of extinct species with the intention of using them as support for evolution, I am curious what made you say they "do not" support it?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

Vigilans wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Though I did actually mention the vast amount of extinct species with the intention of using them as support for evolution, I am curious what made you say they "do not" support it?

Theory of Extinction is just what it says. Life is transitory and just a brief chapter in the book of extinction. It's as if life is an accident more than anything else. It's not likely to happen. Theory of Extinction supports this.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Theory of Extinction is just what it says. Life is transitory and just a brief chapter in the book of extinction. It's as if life is an accident more than anything else. It's not likely to happen. Theory of Extinction supports this.

Extinction is a part of evolution. If species did not go extinct, then life would be completely homogenous. It is not, obviously. Extinction does mean wiped out in a cataclysmic disaster, either. Australopithecus is extinct, but it is also our ancestor

Life is probably more likely than most people think. The precursors to it are common throughout the universe. If you checked out that video I posted about abiogenesis, you can see a pretty good explanation as to how these precursors develop natural selection

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

Theory of Extinction puts the emphasis on extinction though, not evolution. It accentuates the randomness of life. Look at how rare it is, especially human life. Humans endlessly search the universe for some other intelligent life form but never find any. Either they are really good at hiding, really far away or just not there. Chances are they are really far away if you think in terms of probability, with the great distance the chance of meeting an alien in one person's brief lifetime is remote. Probably a greater chance of winning the lottery.
Theory of Extinction states the end is not an endless process of evolving, it's extinction.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:34 pm

Vigilans wrote:

lol

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:37 pm

I do believe in evolution but at the same time I'm skeptical with what they put out there in the media.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:45 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Theory of Extinction puts the emphasis on extinction though, not evolution. It accentuates the randomness of life. Look at how rare it is, especially human life. Humans endlessly search the universe for some other intelligent life form but never find any. Either they are really good at hiding, really far away or just not there. Chances are they are really far away if you think in terms of probability, with the great distance the chance of meeting an alien in one person's brief lifetime is remote. Probably a greater chance of winning the lottery.
Theory of Extinction states the end is not an endless process of evolving, it's extinction.

As I see it, if the fossil record is full of simply extinct animals, and not of earlier life that much of modern animals are descended from, then I fear we are on a collision course with mass extinction 8O , as most of the earth's species have been dying off.
So yeah, in that sense, it's actually a lot more comforting to believe evolution explains the fossil record.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Eh... that seems redundant to me really, and slightly nihilistic. "Its not even wrong". Kraichgauer has a good answer to that extinction theory

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm

It doesn't bother me because I know I am part of the universe and it's not me that decided it or controls it so I am not being nihilistic, just simply observing. I am part of the universe, it is not a part of me. I cannot control what it does or what happens in it, in the long run, meaning, one day I won't exist in the same form as I am now but I will always be a part of it no matter what.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm

I do wonder why such a great distance exists between objects in the universe. It's almost like no one is meant to find each other. Almost like a mean joke or like it's twisted and deviant way of keeping life forms from different places apart. Of course, that's not the scientific reason objects are so far away from each other, but it does make it very hard for life forms who have the notion to find each other, communicate and exchange information.

The best thing about the universe is there's so much out there. Resources are abundant if that distance could only be conquered.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 12:00 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Evolution is "survival of the fit enough", not the "fittest". If some random species is capable of maintaining itself, which means, basically, that each generation creates as many child as the one before or more, it will go on. It is not a very difficult requirement to meet.

Your argument is basically like saying: "If you have an A in an exam, but someone else had an A+, you failed!"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 12:10 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Evolution is "survival of the fit enough", not the "fittest". If some random species is capable of maintaining itself, it will, even though some other species better fills the exact same niche.

Your argument is basically like saying: "If you have an A in an exam, but someone else had an A+, you failed!"

I equate evolving with surviving. Something changes in the environment, a species adapts and it doesn't become extinct. However, if you look at history many species have become extinct on planet earth. They did not evolve and survive. Ye,t others have lasted millions of years, changing very little. Crocodiles for instance. Cock Roaches, I think, are another example. How can a species like a crocodile last for so long without changing much?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 12:27 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Evolution is "survival of the fit enough", not the "fittest". If some random species is capable of maintaining itself, it will, even though some other species better fills the exact same niche.

I equate evolving with surviving. Something changes in the environment, a species adapts and it doesn't become extinct. However, if you look at history many species have become extinct on planet earth. They did not evolve and survive. Ye,t others have lasted millions of years, changing very little. Crocodiles for instance. Cock Roaches, I think, are another example. How can a species like a crocodile last for so long without changing much?

The crocodile, and the mighty cockroach have found their niche, and don't have to change any in order to survive. The thing is though, cockroaches have become so dependent on humans for food and shelter that if we became extinct, it's thought that they would soon follow us. Or who knows, maybe they'd evolve in order to continue to exist.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer