Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 10:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Some of them will say that contradictions are "put there" to test people's faith

It was the Devil who planted all the fossils.

ruveyn

We Russian do not call Lucifer a Devil' we view him as a fallen angel.

How do Russians come to believe all this nonsense? I was under the impression that Russians had a lot of common sense. In order to survive Stalin one need a lot of both luck and common sense. God sure was not on the side of Russia in the 20 th century.

ruveyn

Oh, I don't know. Maybe God had activated the syphilis and Parkinson's disease in Hitler at the right time in order to make him make all the wrong decisions in the Soviet Union.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh, I don't know. Maybe God had activated the syphilis and Parkinson's disease in Hitler at the right time in order to make him make all the wrong decisions in the Soviet Union.

You know if all you Believers chanted God-Did-It together in unison you would sound like a chorus of frogs.

ruveyn

10 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
[

Their are a lot of Russian Orthodox in my country. The Orthodox Church is the largest church and the largest religion in Russia. Stalin was the devil in my opinon.

Also in mine. Sookin Sihn comes to mind. What a piece of work that Groozhian thug was. If Stalin had lived a few more years he would have pulled off a Pogram that would have made Kyrstalnacht look like a pink tea party.

ruveyn

Yes very true Stalin was more then. Any other leader my country has had. A common myth about Stalin in Russia is that we prasie him...That is a lie no Russian ever loved stalin. The Soviets hated him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You know if all you Believers chanted God-Did-It together in unison you would sound like a chorus of frogs.

ruveyn

I'm sure that's probably true. :lol:

10 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

Well it depends on how the choir sounds :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 11:08 pm

Vladimir wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

Well it depends on how the choir sounds :lol:

:lol:

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 3:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Some of them will say that contradictions are "put there" to test people's faith

ruveyn

How do Russians come to believe all this nonsense? I was under the impression that Russians had a lot of common sense. In order to survive Stalin one need a lot of both luck and common sense. God sure was not on the side of Russia in the 20 th century.

ruveyn

If the god of the Bible (I assume that is the god you are referring to) existed, and wanted to intervene, why would he wait until then? Why wouldn't he intervene sooner, and more comprehensively? If his motivation were to reduce human suffering, wouldn't that be more effective?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Jul 2012, 9:23 am

Vigilans wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
The way this creationist describes it- that science is a "Biblical mandate" to help take care of the Earth, and that scripture holds precedence, perhaps more accurately, "veto" over any evidence that is contradictory- is very illuminating on the utterly non-scientific nature of creationism.
I would have thought that if the world really had been created by a god in 6 days, there would not have been any evidence that could contradict it. There would be lots of evidence supporting creationism and absolutely none supporting evolution, but it's the exact opposite. It seems evidence is not enough to break strong faith.
I once had someone attempt to explain to me, with a straight face, that fossils were deliberately planted by God for exactly this purpose.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2012, 9:39 am

Rocky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

If the god of the Bible (I assume that is the god you are referring to) existed, and wanted to intervene, why would he wait until then? Why wouldn't he intervene sooner, and more comprehensively? If his motivation were to reduce human suffering, wouldn't that be more effective?

For that matter, if He was intervening anyway, why not cut Hitler off waaaaaaay before the whole 'holocaust' thing ever happened? I mean, at about the time that Adolf swapped from, "You know, this sounds like a good idea," to, "Let's fire up the ovens!" I imagine and ALL-POWERFUL BEING with NO CONSTRAINTS ON ITS THEORETICAL ACTION might be able to float Hitler in the air and interrupt humanity's daily routine with a psychic message that starts, "So, you see this guy? I'm about to have a long talk with you about this guy, and how he's the perfect example of everything you should never do, ever."

Instead, we have skinheads to this day.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

Rocky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

I hope you realize I wasn't being serious.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
The way this creationist describes it- that science is a "Biblical mandate" to help take care of the Earth, and that scripture holds precedence, perhaps more accurately, "veto" over any evidence that is contradictory- is very illuminating on the utterly non-scientific nature of creationism.
I would have thought that if the world really had been created by a god in 6 days, there would not have been any evidence that could contradict it. There would be lots of evidence supporting creationism and absolutely none supporting evolution, but it's the exact opposite. It seems evidence is not enough to break strong faith.
I once had someone attempt to explain to me, with a straight face, that fossils were deliberately planted by God for exactly this purpose.

I have only encountered that once in person but countless times on the internet. The one time I have encountered it in person was when a couple of Jehovah Witnesses came to my door. I was bored so I asked them a few questions about science and paleontology. I couldn't take more than five minutes of them, honestly, so I bid them a polite farewell and told them "We're good Cat'licks in this household"

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

I do now. Without an emotican, I assumed that you were serious. Now that I think about it, your posts have seemed more reasonable than that. Most believers are reasonable about everything except their belief in a god. They compartmentalize. I am glad to hear that your particular "God Delusion" is more reasonable than that.

I am glad that there are believers here to debate with. Of course, my preference would be that everyone require sufficient evidence to believe anything. But until then, it is fun to debate.

Last edited by Rocky on 11 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

Rocky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

I do now. Without an emotican, I assumed that you were serious. Now that I think about it, your posts have seemed more reasonable than that. Most believers are logical about everything except their belief in a god. They compartmentalize. I am glad to hear that your particular "God Delusion" is more reasonable than that.

I am glad that there are believers here to debate with. Of course, my preference would be that everyone be a skeptic about everything. But until then, it is fun to debate.

I tend to feel so comfortable being in contact with other Aspies that I sometimes forget that a lot can get past us - myself included. I shall try to remember using an emoticon from now on, when the need arises. :lol:

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Maybe this "God" character just loves making people doubt so it can send all the doubters to Hell while the very few who do not doubt go into Heaven just to become part of the worship choir, the eternal worship choir. When ever a member of the worship choir wants to do something other than worship, so they can go explore Heaven, God says, "Get back to worshiping or I'll kick you into the flames!" As for the people in Hell, they could be for roasting marshmallows.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Jul 2012, 3:24 pm

Well, it certainly made for a short and fruitless discussion where anything normally taken as evidence was dismissed by an unthinking gainsayer. :?
When the response was basically "God did it", every time, it was rather pointless talking at all.
Amusing though, in a sad sort of way.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:00 pm

Vigilans wrote:
EDIT: Added the 10 points for those who can't watch the video

You have my thanks. That gives me a few spare minutes to go and look at some other compelling thread in here! :wink: