Anti-abortion and animal rights at the same time

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:03 am

Usually anti-abortion is on republican camp while animal rights are on democrate, hence they dont usually go together. But in my case they do. I simply feel bad for ANYONE being killed, especially if the one being killed can not defend themselves. This automatically makes me anti abortion and animal rights at the same time.

If you ask me about my other believes I am Christian and, therefore, republican. So in this respect anti-abortion part is to be expected while animal rights is to be a big surprise. But in reality, even if you take the anti-abortion belief, I held this view even back when I was atheist. So, regardless of my belief system, I just feel sorry for defenseless being killed and that is where both of my believes come from.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2012, 10:58 am

All life is sacred!! !! :D

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 11:03 am

Roman wrote:
...If you ask me about my other believes I am Christian and, therefore, republican. ...

:?

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

I think what Jakob means is that most Christians aren't Republicans.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think what Jakob means is that most Christians aren't Republicans.

Nonsense!

Jesus Christ voted for McCain!

Ever since then every christian has registered Republican.

Unfortunately many arent aware that the opposite is also supposed to be true- that all republicans are supposed to be christian.

Many nonchristians unknowingly register Republican.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

That's the problem with political parties. You may have views which are reflected in the policies of a particular party. But, that party may also have a policy or two which are in opposition to your beliefs. I've had similar predicaments in deciding who to vote for.

However, I don't understand how being Christian automatically means you have to be a Republican.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

I think naturalplastic is being flippant.

Guppy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2012, 5:57 pm

It's impossible follow Jesus, as Jesus preached, without being an anti-capitalist Anarchist.

Truefax.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

Well I'm pro-choice myself, which doesn't mean I'm for abortion so much as I think it's none of my business to tell a woman what to do with her body or her life.

I won't argue either of those things with you, but this statement threw me for a loop:

Roman wrote:
I am Christian and, therefore, republican.

What? There are no Christian Democrats or liberals? Come on now. I'm sure there are.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 5:45 am

Regarding the link between republican and christian, statistically there is one. While some liberal christians might be democrates, if you take christian fundamentalists they are almost always republican.

Now I dont agree with their reasons. At least if you take gospels much of what Jesus preached is helping the poor which would be on democrate camp. But as illogical as it is, there is still some weird reason that leads most christian fundamentalists to be republican. I guess this is just as weird as the fact that anti-abortion and animal rights statistically dont go together despite the fact that logically they should.

As far as MY being "christian and therefore republican", basically I am afraid of antichrist (that is the christian part) and republicans tend to favor smaller government and, therefore, oppose antichrist (and that is basically what makes me republican). Abortion doesnt count because I would be anti-abortion even if I was atheist.

As far as other issues, it is not that clear on a balance as to which party is more christian than the other. Democrates are more christian because of helping the poor, while republicans are more christian because of being anti gay (I deliberately dont mention abortion because I would have been anti abortion even if I was not a christian). So the most one can say about either of the two parties is that it is "the lesser of teh two evils"; yet that is not what most people are saying. Christian fundamentalists would side with republican party on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE including its pro-rich stand, and that is the part I disagree with.

To me, I am pro republican because I am pro small government, PERIOD. So you might call me a single issue voter. That single issue is linked to my christianity since I know antichrist would head big government. But what makes me different from christian fundamentalists is that in my case there is ONE issue that makes me "christian and therefore republican" while in their case it would be dozens of issues (including low taxes despite the fact that Jesus never said a single word about it).

Last edited by Roman on 04 Aug 2012, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guppy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2012, 5:47 am

Sigh.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 6:15 am

Well Im glad you finnally cleared THAT up.

Except it isnt very clear.

you're a typical evangelical -so you vote Republican .
But you're NOT a typical Evangelical-because you have a different reason for voting Republican than most Evangelicals.
You do so because you're afraid of the antichrist.

But according to Revelations the Antichrist is inevitable. We gotta go through the end times to get to the good times of christ returning.

So how you vote cant make any difference on that "issue".

And besides- the antichrist might come from the private sector.

The Bible doesnt specify.

So you kinda lost me.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 6:22 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But according to Revelations the Antichrist is inevitable. We gotta go through the end times to get to the good times of christ returning.

While its true antichrist WILL come no matter what, I am trying to postpone his coming as much as possible in order to have more time to prepare. The bible says people will be beheaded for refusing the mark of the beast. Now if someone were to put the knife to my throat today I am not sure I will be able to willingly get beheaded. So I hope I will be able to prepare myself mentally for beheading if I have more time.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 7:17 am

Roman wrote:
So I hope I will be able to prepare myself mentally for beheading if I have more time.

I'm so tempted to make a remark along the lines of "you are off your head" but as a moderator I'd have to censure such a remark. Naughty TallyMan! :shameonyou:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 7:18 am

Roman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

While its true antichrist WILL come no matter what, I am trying to postpone his coming as much as possible in order to have more time to prepare. The bible says people will be beheaded for refusing the mark of the beast. Now if someone were to put the knife to my throat today I am not sure I will be able to willingly get beheaded. So I hope I will be able to prepare myself mentally for beheading if I have more time.

So you're convinced that the Antichrist will come in your lifetime?

Theyve been awaiting both christ and the antichrist for 2000 years so the odds are kinda against him coming any particular presidential term.

Guppy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2012, 9:20 am

TallyMan wrote:
Roman wrote:
So I hope I will be able to prepare myself mentally for beheading if I have more time.

I'm so tempted to make a remark along the lines of "you are off your head" but as a moderator I'd have to censure such a remark. Naughty TallyMan! :shameonyou:

I'm very tempted to make similar remarks regarding this nonsense.