Christian-run NHS surgery rebuked for not supplying ECPs

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 5:47 am

Quote:
Christian-run NHS surgery criticised for refusing to prescribe morning-after pill

A Christian-run NHS GP surgery has attracted criticism for posting a notice warning that some of its doctors refuse to prescribe the morning-after pill to patients on grounds of conscience.

The message on the door of The Links Medical Practice in Mottingham, south London advises patients that if “a consenting doctor is not available” to prescribe contraception they should contact a local clinic or chemist.

One of the practice’s patients was so outraged by what she perceived as the influence of religion on healthcare that she has decided to leave. The patient, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Independent: “I know the law allows doctors to do this but I don’t think it should”.

Hmm...

...do NHS surgeries get to choose what they can and can't prescribe? I must admit, I don't like the sound of this one bit.

Almighty_CRJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2013, 4:06 pm

Tequila wrote:
Quote:
Christian-run NHS surgery criticised for refusing to prescribe morning-after pill

A Christian-run NHS GP surgery has attracted criticism for posting a notice warning that some of its doctors refuse to prescribe the morning-after pill to patients on grounds of conscience.

The message on the door of The Links Medical Practice in Mottingham, south London advises patients that if “a consenting doctor is not available” to prescribe contraception they should contact a local clinic or chemist.

One of the practice’s patients was so outraged by what she perceived as the influence of religion on healthcare that she has decided to leave. The patient, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Independent: “I know the law allows doctors to do this but I don’t think it should”.

Hmm...

...do NHS surgeries get to choose what they can and can't prescribe? I must admit, I don't like the sound of this one bit.

Doctors can refuse to prescribe contraceptives on moral grounds as can Nurses & Pharmacists. They do have a legal responsibility of reference which explains the sign.

I think this is OK as Doctors should discuss ineligibility to take the pill as a matter of course.Pharmacists can prescribe the morning after pill. Seriously.

Now Abortion objection I have concerns about. You have various options when it comes to getting the pill. You need medical staff for an medically necessitated abortion & we can't go round trying to find a nurse who doesn't mind it. We may not have the options

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 May 2013, 4:13 pm

I think they're silly to object to a woman making sure here body rejects a small growing ball of cells. However, if they genuinely have religious concerns on the matter, they should be allowed to pass, as long as they help people find someone who will prescribe the drug. That seems to be the case here.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 4:45 pm

I think that’d be against their conscience, too.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 May 2013, 4:47 pm

Medical professionals shouldn't have to violate their personal and religious beliefs when the health of the patient isn't a concern as I said in a similar thread.

In regards to the 'morning-after' pill, I don't see why it shouldn't be available OTC. Moral dilemma avoided.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 5:46 pm

I'd be happy to ban people from using their religion as justification for refusing to prescribe the pill as long as people were also banned from wearing burkhas or any other religious paraphenalia in public, sharia courts and arranged marriages were banned and people were automatically deported for honour killings. All these things really offend me. This is never going to happen in a million years in this country so I suggest people deal with the non prescribing of the pills.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 9:45 pm

The doctor is a government employee, and the gov't. makes the laws, and the law says the pill is legal....
Any doctor who refuses to prescribe the pill shouldn't be employed by the NHS. Let them open a private practice if they're going to be silly.

Btw, the morning-after pill is available without a prescription in the U.S.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 4:04 am

YippySkippy wrote:
The doctor is a government employee, and the gov't. makes the laws, and the law says the pill is legal....
Any doctor who refuses to prescribe the pill shouldn't be employed by the NHS. Let them open a private practice if they're going to be silly.

Agreed. I simply am not interested what their religious beliefs are. The NHS should have a unified service, and I don't think it should be about pandering to the religious or other whims of staff.

If this was a private service, I'd completely understand them not wanting to give out the morning after pill.

That said, I may actually be very ignorant about the structure of the NHS. Are most NHS surgeries essentially private?

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 7:23 am

YippySkippy wrote:

Btw, the morning-after pill is available without a prescription in the U.S.

The morning-after pill is available without prescription in the UK too, you'll just pay an extortionate amount for it

It's the contraceptive pill you need a prescription for

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:50 am

The_Walrus wrote:
I think they're silly to object to a woman making sure here body rejects a small growing ball of cells. However, if they genuinely have religious concerns on the matter, they should be allowed to pass, as long as they help people find someone who will prescribe the drug. That seems to be the case here.

I hate when people think this. The morning after pill is a contraceptive, thus it prevents conception. It would not cause the body to reject a growing ball of cells. It would prevent the sperm from working. This is a common misconception about conception. This idea makes people think of it as "an abortion pill", which it is not.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:53 am

Quote:
The morning-after pill is available without prescription in the UK too, you'll just pay an extortionate amount for it

It's $40-$50 in the States without a prescription.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:59 am

PsychoSarah wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I hate when people think this. The morning after pill is a contraceptive, thus it prevents conception. It would not cause the body to reject a growing ball of cells. It would prevent the sperm from working. This is a common misconception about conception. This idea makes people think of it as "an abortion pill", which it is not.

RU486 is an abortion pill imo

You're getting rid of what would become a baby if conception has occurred, the stage is irrelevant

It's not a contraceptive - you take it after sex in case you have accidentally conceived; it does not prevent conception; it gets rid of it after it's happened

These UK ones work differently though, preventing ovulation

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contracept ... ption.aspx

Last edited by nessa238 on 09 May 2013, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:02 am

Jacoby wrote:
Medical professionals shouldn't have to violate their personal and religious beliefs when the health of the patient isn't a concern as I said in a similar thread.

In regards to the 'morning-after' pill, I don't see why it shouldn't be available OTC. Moral dilemma avoided.

The health of the patient can be a concern. Mental health in particular. Most people do not use it as regular contraception; it is often used by rape victims, who would never be able to care for a child while in that state. Some people, such as those with bleeding disorders, cannot risk a pregnancy.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:04 am

PsychoSarah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The health of the patient can be a concern. Mental health in particular. Most people do not use it as regular contraception; it is often used by rape victims, who would never be able to care for a child while in that state. Some people, such as those with bleeding disorders, cannot risk a pregnancy.

No one would want to force a pregnancy on a rape victim - that's an acceptable reason for abortion

People with bleeding disorders should make sure they use protection though, same with others who seem to think abortion is some kind of lifestyle choice

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:10 am

nessa238 wrote:
PsychoSarah wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

RU486 is an abortion pill imo

You're getting rid of what would become a baby if conception has occurred, the stage is irrelevant

It's not a contraceptive - you take it after sex in case you have accidentally conceived; it does not prevent conception; it gets rid of it after it's happened

Conception takes at least 24 hours, and up to 72 hours after sex. It is contraception. It prevents the conception event. I am in the United States. This is the reason why it is stupid for people to take a pregnancy test right after sex.

These UK ones work differently though, preventing ovulation

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contracept ... ption.aspx

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 10:12 am

Tequila wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Agreed. I simply am not interested what their religious beliefs are. The NHS should have a unified service, and I don't think it should be about pandering to the religious or other whims of staff.

If this was a private service, I'd completely understand them not wanting to give out the morning after pill.

That said, I may actually be very ignorant about the structure of the NHS. Are most NHS surgeries essentially private?

Your suspicion is correct in that, in a sense, most NHS GP surgeries are private yes. They are usually structured similarly to a law firm or an accountancy practice i.e. they are run by a group of partners. The NHS in essence pays the partnership to provide certain services although the terms of the relationship between the GP partnerships which operate under the NHS banner and the state are determined by central government.