Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pabbicus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2013, 5:51 pm

What is your opinion on them?

I'm of the opinion that it's simply not possible. It's just guessing. There can't be anything else to it.

That said, I have gone to one before(a friend is related to her so I didn't pay money) and I accept wholeheartedly that I am only in the process of talking to her because I miss someone so much I am desperate to feel any connection to or hear any news about her.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 5:55 pm

Legitimate psychics only exist in The Dead Zone, Medium, and other works of fiction.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

Not this topic again. My attitude is, I am psychic enough on my own with my intuition. Don't need them.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 7:11 pm

They are shams who usually take advantage of hurting or desperate people.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 7:15 pm

Psychics are frauds.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:00 pm

I was once a "psychic", so I know first-hand all of the tricks and cons they use to defraud people of their hard-earned wages, and to keep those poor souls coming back. I got out of that business because having that much power over others was simply frightening.

A "psychic" is a person who claims to be endowed with some sort of supernatural or paranormal ability to receive or interpret information in a way that normal people cannot, and that empirical evidence cannot detect. No psychic ability has ever been experimentally demonstrated to work reliably in test conditions. If it had, James Randi would be short quite a bit of cash by now (about $1,408,786.84 as of March 31, 2013). There is absolutely no valid material evidence (other than faith-based anecdotes) that there is anything going on here other than stage magic and conjuring tricks mixed with basic human gullibility psychological manipulation.

Quote:
The One-Million Dollar challenge

The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.

Q: How do you know when a "psychic" is telling a lie?
A: His or her lips are moving.

:lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:26 pm

^^^Did you have a psychic hot line number? :lol:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:33 pm

I once had a job reading tarot cards and I never employed any tactics to keep people coming back for more. I was honest and ethical about it and didn't keep people on the phone for very long. Some people do have ethics and I would never want someone to get a huge phone bill because of me. I tried to make it so they would get charged less than $30 talking to me which is somewhat reasonable, people spend more than that talking long distance. I was exceptionally conscientious about what I was doing. In fact, I scolded my friend for keeping someone on the phone for hours. She bragged about it and I told her it's plain not right to treat someone like that so they get a bill they cannot pay. I don't believe in that.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:38 pm

I distrust any so called "psychic" that charges for "psychic" services.
A true psychic would use their abilities to do well in an unrelated profession. And probably not even let very many people know about their gifts.

Actually we are a psychic species, but most of our abilities are suppressed by age 5 or so. Mostly by our own doing because we get spooked by what we sense.

Diagnosed in 2005

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:38 pm

Misslizard wrote:

No, I worked in my cousin's "New Age" store. All of my clients' readings were performed face-to-face.

Note that the key word is "performed" - it's all an act.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

No, I worked in my cousin's "New Age" store. All of my clients' readings were performed face-to-face.

Note that the key word is "performed" - it's all an act.

Was this store profitable? I'm thinking of someone who owns a book store that could probably rebrand to offer "New Age" products and services.

EDIT: on further thought, I'm not sure if the store owner is to ethical to do this. hmmm...

Last edited by VIDEODROME on 01 Dec 2013, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:47 pm

pete1061 wrote:
A true psychic would use their abilities to do well in an unrelated profession. And probably not even let very many people know about their gifts.

Evidence, please? If you don't know that they are there, how can you believe that they exist?

pete1061 wrote:
Actually we are a psychic species...

There is no valid material evidence to support that claim.

pete1061 wrote:
... but most of our abilities are suppressed by age 5 or so.

There is no valid material evidence to support that claim.

pete1061 wrote:
Mostly by our own doing because we get spooked by what we sense.

People get 'spooked' because they: (a) Don't know what is really going on; (b) They believe in myths and their own bias confirmation takes over; (c) They don't understand the difference between correlation and causation; or (d) They believe that there is no difference between correlation and causation, thus leading to the belief that there are no such things as coincidences

People believe in 'psychics' mainly because they are desperate for meaning in their lives, believing that they have influence over invisible forces makes them feel significant in an impersonal world.

Last edited by Fnord on 01 Dec 2013, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:49 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Not this topic again. My attitude is, I am psychic enough on my own with my intuition. Don't need them.

I remember a past discussion you and I had about this, and me explaining to you how there was nothing remarkably supernatural about your experience.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:55 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
No, I worked in my cousin's "New Age" store. All of my clients' readings were performed face-to-face. Note that the key word is "performed" - it's all an act.
Was this store profitable?

Only as long as I worked there - it closed about a year after I left.

VIDEODROME wrote:
I'm thinking of someone who owns a book store that could probably rebrand to offer "New Age" products and services. EDIT: on further thought, I'm not sure if the store owner is to ethical to do this. hmmm...

Working as a psychic was one of the most unethical things I ever did, but it did pay the rent until I got a real job.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 10:13 pm

MCalavera wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I remember a past discussion you and I had about this, and me explaining to you how there was nothing remarkably supernatural about your experience.

If everyone would open their own pathways no one would need the services of a psychic but if someone wants their tarot cards read for fun, I don't see the harm so long as you aren't charging them a ridiculous amount of money.

Everyone has the ability within themselves, it's just some need to tap theirs in order to discover and use.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Everyone has the ability within themselves, it's just some need to tap theirs in order to discover and use.

The only 'psychic' ability I've ever seen demonstrated is the ability to fool others into believing in something that doesn't exist.