Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 9:22 am

Wow.

A study establishing what is common sense to most people.

The "elite" think they are better because they are raised to think that way about themselves.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2014, 5:07 pm

I would consider, "rich" and "elite" two different things. Someone who is elite very well might become rich, and might consider themselves better than others because of their special degree of knowledge or ability in a particular area.

A rich person needn't have done anything to become wealthy, and by getting what they desire while others don't because of nothing other than their wallet, they may presume it is a measure of social worth. These examples pretty easily stand out. Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian comes to mind. Of course, they come with the baggage of our warped celebrity culture, but I mean even before that.

But why do the rich think they're better than the rest of us? Why does anyone (and everyone) think they're better than some other people, even if they don't want to admit it? Because we're all biased toward our own self interests, and can't possibly understand anyone else's situation as well as we think we understand our own.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:19 am

The rich do not have to worry about the basic needs of life. Eating, paying bills, clothing themselves are all taken for granted. So of course they will see the world differently. They worry about more trivial things like 'am I attractive?' or the celebrities worry about whether they are famous enough, or getting the right publicity. Other rich and powerful will worry about their power hunger being satisfied.

In Britain our current government is made up of millionaires who have never worked or had to worry about paying bills just like those the article talks about in congress.

Being rich means you are free to engage in the highest of Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Self Actualization.