Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:16 pm

:roll:
I doubt they're racist as a group but even if they were; so what? Theirs is a closed society and they don't have much to do with outsiders.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:35 pm

No Social Security or Obamacare for them

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ca ... 8C11345954

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:37 pm

There are Mennonites here.They are real nice people.They had a health food store for awhile in the next larger town.I had a real nice conversation in there with one of the elders.He was the sweetest old man.He wanted to talk some about religion than told me as an elder he felt he had to rebuke me for not being in church :D he said,"I can tell you're of the spirit but you need to get with the body."Maybe he was trying to recruit me :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:41 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
You never hear of anyone becoming the Amish, that they're all white is no surprise. I agree they're put on a pedestal too much, but I have seen some bad press in my area and I've been told that they can be cruel to their animals. Nobody cares if they are semi-communist because so few people know a lot about them and they aren't trying to impress they're beliefs on anybody. I think they get put on a pedestal, at least in my area, largely because of their response to the Nickel Mines school shooting.

This is the thing that gets me. In Lancaster county, Pennsylvania which is mostly Amish and has very pricey real estate, the Amish make money with puppy mills and they are just as bad as any puppy mill anywhere else. Where I live there are puppy mills, too, and people make a huge fuss about how inhumane they are and it's wrong to have them. They try to pass laws against them and they hate the ones who own them.
If it's Amish who have them, you never hear anyone criticizing because it's like they are a sacred cow and whatever they do is automatically deemed above reproach. It's such a double standard.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm

I just don't see why Amish should be allowed to be beyond reproach and so separate no one else is unless you count Indians but the Amish were never in a similar situation they migrated to this country and no one took anything from them or made them move to another location. Once here, no one tried to murder them they were never forced to fight for their lives. If they had their way, they wouldn't ever send their kids to school and they would never pay any taxes. They would be like their own nation.
Only because they are so backward, religious and caucasian-inbred do people not hassle them more.

When my friend wanted me to watch Amish Mafia and I refused he would get even by not talking about something I was interested in. All this just because I find shows about Amish incredibly dull and avoid them like the plague. I just don't get this interest in Amish people. He would go to Amish markets and hang out for fun and I would be blase about that and it would aggravate him. It must be a Pennsylvania thing and I would need to be a Quaker to understand it. Same with Groundhog Day he had an obsession with that and I know groundhogs never predict the weather accurately. Again, it must be part of The Quaker Experience.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm

Are Amish racists what?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:20 pm

luanqibazao wrote:
Are Amish racists what?

No, just stay to themselves. And only marry each other.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:24 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There are Mennonites here.They are real nice people.They had a health food store for awhile in the next larger town.I had a real nice conversation in there with one of the elders.He was the sweetest old man.He wanted to talk some about religion than told me as an elder he felt he had to rebuke me for not being in church :D he said,"I can tell you're of the spirit but you need to get with the body."Maybe he was trying to recruit me :D

Here in Washington, we have a group of people called Hutterites who dress like the Amish and stick only to their own. My country and small town relatives hold them in low opinion, and say they have sticky fingers. Other than seeing them around from time to time, I actually know little about them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:36 am

Raptor wrote:
:roll:
I doubt they're racist as a group but even if they were; so what? Theirs is a closed society and they don't have much to do with outsiders.

You can say that about any group. They just want to do what they want to do and forget about you and me yet when they do, society and the government won't let them unless they are Amish then they get to live above everyone else and do what they want.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
luanqibazao wrote:
Are Amish racists what?

The words appear to be English, but the grammar must be from a language unfamiliar to me ....

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:43 am

It's nice being able to argue about the Amish again :twisted:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:14 am

luanqibazao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
luanqibazao wrote:
Are Amish racists what?

The words appear to be English, but the grammar must be from a language unfamiliar to me ....

Give it some thought, bub.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:33 am

Just to test this we need to send in some black reporters from the inner city and film the Amishes's reaction.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:34 am

I gave it some thought, toots. Your remarks, while true, do not follow from my question.

I may as well reply: Only through the 1974 model year; afterwards they all had a single pipe and catalytic converter.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:46 am

luanqibazao wrote:
I gave it some thought, toots. Your remarks, while true, do not follow from my question.

I may as well reply: Only through the 1974 model year; afterwards they all had a single pipe and catalytic converter.

You asked if the Amish were racists. I gave you an answer.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:24 am

They are narrow minded primitive bible thumping farmers! They are uneducated and prefer to remain stupid for their lord and savior for science is the devil!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList