Page 7 of 15 [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:07 pm

And yes the distinction is A instead of THE, as a child of GOD is A CHILD OF GOD, not THE CHILD OF GOD.

And people can certainly STRAY, WITH LANGUAGE, CULTURE AND OR RELIGION AS THEIR LEADER, INSTEAD OF GOD LIVING AS ONE INSIDE THEM OUTSIDE THEM SO ABOVE SO BELOW AGAIN AS ONE.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

I might not have nailed the third part of that perfectly so I'll have to check again in a few months to see of that dismount was correct. It's part of the vibratory attunement ceremony if I remember correctly and the suggestion really is to our state of evolved consciousness - more to our being 'centers of expression for the Primal Will to Good which eternally creates and sustains the Universe' (Pattern on the Trestleboard verse 1).

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:22 pm

YES, i think even science now is starting to finally understand through studies like the new ones per Bonobos, that genetically that is our natural way of being centered in expression AS primal WILL for Good, when unadulterated by the standard intelligence of language and culture and instead following instinct and intuition for connection toward the greater good...:)

I've always felt like that was the natural way to me, but perhaps it's easier to see when others make one an outcast and one is still loved by core of family, pets, and can see that love does exist from the time one is born, in trust of love and nature as making sense in that instinctual and intuitive way of knowing trust and faith in all that is.... where no one even cares to share lies from the 'greater' herd down darker paths of life.....AND hope still lives....as love.....

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 12:43 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHxuA8ZNvlU[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 4:44 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
As Rev. Ann Davies would have said - I think like a God, I act like a God, for I am the offspring of a God.

"As we are now, god once was. As god is now, we may become"

I think they mean we're all gonna die.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 4:36 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

Oh my, another copout? Thanks for making it clear beyond a doubt now.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 9:24 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

No copout there is no god its all make believe you can challenge National Geographic or Stephen Hawking but you will lose, god is made up along with other gods you are wasting your time in an imaginary friend, you have been conned by a con artist who made this all up many many years and wasted your life. Religion is pointless and useless as well as primitive the logic is flawed and reasoning is another bane to it all in order to be a devote follower to a god you must give up al your free will and allow yourself to be controlled by some imaginary being that does not exist its all a waste and a joke, im not trolling thats how i see it and i do not care, I prefer to be independant and in control of me. I am free I have free will and if god is real he has no control of me, if he expects me to do what he wants he can go piss off, free will is his failure anyway hence god is not perfect and is flawed with insecurity issues if he is real! If your real whcih I doubt I say piss off God your a loser and a failure with insecurity issues with no intelligence at all, I laugh at you!Hawaiins stil believe their volcanoses are gods but science has dismissed their so called volcanic gods as mearly volcanoes acing accordingly to geolic activity acting acordingly and are no more than just volcanoes over a hot spot!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:50 am

God isn't real and quoting the bible isn't going to get you anywhere why should we care what Romans says? There is no god there is no proof for a god to exist and there never will be and the no proof he doesnt exist is a bigger copout those god explainations are shrinking at an alarming rate my friend and as the years go by church attendance has also dropped it is all a waste of time and people are wising up and not falling for the snake oil con artist who says there is a god anymore.

Lukecash12 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2012-04-the-state-of-religion-declining-belief-in-god-worldw This is reality religion is on the decline...there is no god and if there is he is failing!

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
Well let's get started then:

1. וַיִּבְרָא אֱלֹהִים אֶת-הָאָדָם בְּצַלְמוֹ, בְּצֶלֶם אֱלֹהִים בָּרָא אֹתוֹ: זָכָר וּנְקֵבָה, בָּרָא אֹתָם.

?ō·ṯām. bā·rā ū·nə·qê·ḇāh zā·ḵār ?ō·ṯōw; bā·rā ?ĕ·lō·hîm bə·ṣe·lem bə·ṣal·mōw,
I've never been able to read Hebrew without risking tearing out my vocal chords.

Quote:
Now let's look at three key words used here: elohim, beselem, and besalmow. Elohim was a descriptive name given for God which means "one who holds dominion". Beselem means "a representation of". Besalmow means "a representation of the aforementioned". Now what does this mean? What it means is that what we are a representation of is explicitly what elohim is a descriptor of. Because we as a species have dominion over our environment, that makes us moral actors.
Poor argument. The meaning of "Elohim," to the ancient Hebrews, had a meaning relatively close to that of Ba'al, the key term being embodied in the lamedh. However, where Ba'al refers to a "house god," which is what the bet really refers to, aleph suggests a reference to a personal god, particularly one associated with comfort and familiarity.

Therefore "El" would simply mean "My kindly lord."

Mem refers to a body of water, theoretically.

The yodh serves as a prefix to the mem, modifying it to the third-person singular. This suggests that "My kindly lord" is not composed of water but does something "with" water.

Assuming we understand he to mean "that" or something similar, we could render the translation of it thus possibly:

"My kindly lord that rules over water."

Which tends to support my own view that this tale might have been descended from an ancient ruler who engineered an irrigation system that was relatively advanced for the time.

This is also what makes the linkage of Enki with El Shaddai so plausible, since Enki is also a god tied to water and has similar myths associated with him. It's all postulation and guesswork, but it's a step up from wanking, I figure.

Naturalist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 5:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think God exists as a philosophical concept. This concept is essential to some people's survival. This is why I don't argue existence/nonexistence too vociferously.

Ditto the above. Technically you cannot argue that God / gods do not exist, since at the very least they exist as cultural constructs. Says the not-religiously-inclined anthropologist employed by an evolutionary biologist.

From an evolutionary perspective, positive thinking is a psychological asset which aids in survival. For some individuals, religion / faith is a framework for constructing positive thought patterns. So it does serve a purpose, else it would never have been brought to existence in the first place. (Sorry Dawkins, I am with E. O. Wilson on this one.)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 11:12 pm

^^^ Amen on that, too. :)

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2014, 6:44 am

I can argue that God exists but gods don't!

because God is not a god. :mrgreen: A universal spirit, a whole who we are all part of in the spirit side of existence, fits within modern broad use of the label God, as we use it to denote any universal intelligence, but it is certainly not a god, a powerful magic being as the ancients imagined.

My theory is that the spirit side of existence is an aspect of time. This identity seems to follow because neither time itself nor the experience of it can be imagined to have a permanent ending, though they can have jumps - every time moment is an event, a happening, and that involves change into a resultant state, but the resultant state is another later event, so the chain is unbreakable. There is variable local time and there is a serial history of the cosmos. This makes exactly the same pattern as postulating that each personal being is time in its local particle form, and the total of them together add up to the infinite particle of universal time who is called God but is not a god. :ninja:

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2014, 9:01 am

Naturalist wrote:
Ditto the above. Technically you cannot argue that God / gods do not exist, since at the very least they exist as cultural constructs. Says the not-religiously-inclined anthropologist employed by an evolutionary biologist.
Like Ningishzida! Hail to the Underworld!

Quote:
From an evolutionary perspective, positive thinking is a psychological asset which aids in survival.
So there is something positive about "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him, but all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves" (Num 31:18-19)?

Quote:
For some individuals, religion / faith is a framework for constructing positive thought patterns. So it does serve a purpose, else it would never have been brought to existence in the first place.
It seems to me like a complicated history of ancient politics. In fact, one of the great curiosities is that the Greek word for their chief god is etymologically related to the Zoroastrian word for "devil," yet the people of India, who have a historical relationship with the Greeks going back to the time of Thales of Miletus or earlier, call a troublesome set of entities by the same word that the Zoroastrians have for their god, which is descended from the name of the head of the Assyrian pantheon...who was named for a city in modern-day Iraq that was once so grand and proud, its ruin stands today, its archway still intact.

Imagine Ashur at its height, when it was clean, maintained and possibly painted. Imagine the commercial traffic, which continued until...around the start of the European Renaissance period, when the followers of Tengri butchered its populace. An ancient city, vast and wondrous, filled with noise and bustle, the smells of foods cooking, perfume, rubbish and human and animal waste, where feuds and intrigues as ancient as the city itself were carried out between the descendants of those whose hands were involved in building it.

The distinction between an atheist and a humanist is that an atheist merely denies that there are gods. A humanist acknowledges that there are gods, but the humanist also offers a more elegant and more truthful vision of what they actually are.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 11:47 am

Almost every story has its humanistic and more technical version - for Judaism is't the Kabbalists, for Christianity it's the Hermeticists such as the Rosicrucians, Martinists, and Freemasons, and for Islam you have varying degrees of Sufism which to my understanding might mean one thing in the standard sense but something much closer to it's own sort of Islamic Rosicrucianism in its organized sense.

People still mine a lot out of the Egyptian mysteries and it seems like they developed their minds quite far in a given direction. One could say that their deities symbolize natural forces and that the stories of Osiris getting chopped into 14 pieces or the subsequent stories of war between Horus and Set all seem to have a spiritual grip on natural processes whether in nature or in consciousness - any religion that sufficiently mystic in nature seemed to work hard on touching base both inwardly and outwardly, ie. seeing reflections of ones self in nature and reflections of nature in ones self (bringing things in and out of that membrane where the pentagram, pentagon, and 5 symbolized the microcosm of man and the hexagram, hexagon, and 6 represented the macrocosm).

Even if there were little more to both western and eastern tantras than neurolinguistic programming and making one's own assorted brain apps with enough creative visualization diligently practiced over years, these religions of old are really a goldmine for positive psychology to probe and reach into. As Naturalist I think was aluding to we have the trouble of essentially living subjective existences and when we try to just jump up and down on that dogmatically we find ourselves in all kinds of problems as our own subconscious minds, animal instincts, etc. retaliate in the same manner they would if someone was an ultra-puritanical or Victorian type of theist. Symbolism, narratives, imaginative plays, these are critical in accessing ourselves and striking the right balance and equilibrium so that doing what we believe is right doesn't constantly have some inward force abrasing against it and making it a losing battle.

The other thing about many gods into one God - seems consensus these days and quite possibly this outlook was as popular in the 1000 BC to 500 AD timeframe in many places also - is that it's considered the living force of the universe branching off into different polarities - first male and female (God and Goddess) and from there every goddess who ever was is an aspect of that Goddess, every god that ever was is an aspect of that God. This seems to have at least been made to be a public doctrine on some level when Isis was addressed as the 'Isis of 10,000 names' and the sequence where Lucian in the Greek classic 'The Golden Ass' is at the end of his rope, trying to get himself turned back into a human being again (from being a donkey) and Isis comes out of the sea to meet him and during her speech to him addresses many of the different names she's prayed to and adored as but ultimately that Isis is, in a manner of speaking, the highest level container of her identity. Someone with enough Catholic or Orthodox background might find a bit more room to call her Sophia and in doing that continue the line by adding Mary to the many high profile identities of Isis.

I still need to do more research on where this starts, I think it's where Kabbalists and Qabalists differ, the later are more theosophic in nature but it seems quite plausible also, particularly if formal Jewish Kabbalists place the 'seven planets' on the Tree of Life (ie. the 10 sphere 22 path diagram) that you also have the 'Seven Elohim' which then, when you look at astrology, aggregates the personality and functional traits of the different aspects of God into each of these spheres and, similarly, right there you have an AC/DC step up and step down converter between polytheism and monotheism. Now that we know that the sun and moon are not planets, we have Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, several transneptunian objects as well as a planetoid right in the more local asteroid belt and acknowledge 150+ moons in the solar system really doesn't seem to effect these being logical structures or containers for certain types of drive, logic, behavior, and different breakdowns and aspects of the human personality. Add the 22 major arcana of the tarot to the paths on the tree of life and it gets even more interesting but... I'll leave that one for another day. Point being - many gods/goddesses are a bit like stalagtites off the one God, and perhaps the three Abrahamics as they've existed for the past 1,500 to 2,500 years really have been an attempt to keep people from sacrificing kids to manmade deities and getting confused for what was spiritually up or down - unfortunately they've had their own mixed blessing and barbarisms (ie. war and forced conversion on one hand - hospitals, education, and charity on the other).

Seems like we might be as a culture at a point where we really need to use our introspective muscles to figure out what we are and where we're going. We already know that ideological barbarism and totalitarianism are bankrupt policies, we also realize that if we get the wrong idea about materialism and outward science we easily come to the conclusion that the best way to solve human suffering is to voluntarily go extinct prior to getting off the planet and spreading because we're decaying in a purposeless existence under that outlook and we're united in common desolation more so than love. That's the conundrum we really have to beat and I think ideologically sorting that out in the public sphere - the properly articulate and 21st/22nd century level of education and human decency sorting out that middle path between religious despotism and society-erasing nihilism. This is where I think psychology and faith will really need to have a very powerful dialogue.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Even if there were little more to both western and eastern tantras than neurolinguistic programming and making one's own assorted brain apps with enough creative visualization diligently practiced over years, these religions of old are really a goldmine for positive psychology to probe and reach into.
Actually, Yoga was one of the three logical schools of philosophical thought, along with Samkhya and Lokāyata, according to Kautilya. The heterodox sect that bears the same name as the last of those, Lokāyata, is also another name of a school of thought related to that of the Hellenic Sophists, known as Cārvāka and actually pioneered by a contemporary of Buddha, as far as anyone can tell. Yes, there were atheists in the 6th Century BCE...they weren't very popular then, either.

Quote:
As Naturalist I think was aluding to we have the trouble of essentially living subjective existences and when we try to just jump up and down on that dogmatically we find ourselves in all kinds of problems as our own subconscious minds, animal instincts, etc. retaliate in the same manner they would if someone was an ultra-puritanical or Victorian type of theist. Symbolism, narratives, imaginative plays, these are critical in accessing ourselves and striking the right balance and equilibrium so that doing what we believe is right doesn't constantly have some inward force abrasing against it and making it a losing battle.
Well, many skeptics make one terrible error in their assessment of religion. Our brains do a large number of things. Constructing in our minds a relatively unblemished mirror for the truth...is only one of them, and it is not always the most immediately helpful. Once you have gotten past that, religion does not seem all that strange.

The Japanese discovered a curious discrepancy between British and American soldiers during World War II. The British took a lot longer to break under torture, and they questioned these soldiers on why they were fighting. The British said, "I am fighting for my king!" whereas the Americans said they were fighting for something like "freedom" or "democracy" or perhaps a flag. The Americans were harder pressed to say why they were fighting.

The fallacy that is held dear my many rationalists is an underlying assumption that humans are, by nature, rational rather than emotional...that we are somehow "above" base animal impulses or self-delusion...that somehow pure reason is a path to eudaimonia. Nay. To deny our more passionate nature is itself a departure from reason, and we thereby guarantee that we will be ruled by it.

Quote:
I still need to do more research on where this starts, I think it's where Kabbalists and Qabalists differ, the later are more theosophic in nature but it seems quite plausible also, particularly if formal Jewish Kabbalists place the 'seven planets' on the Tree of Life (ie. the 10 sphere 22 path diagram) that you also have the 'Seven Elohim' which then, when you look at astrology, aggregates the personality and functional traits of the different aspects of God into each of these spheres and, similarly, right there you have an AC/DC step up and step down converter between polytheism and monotheism. Now that we know that the sun and moon are not planets, we have Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, several transneptunian objects as well as a planetoid right in the more local asteroid belt and acknowledge 150+ moons in the solar system really doesn't seem to effect these being logical structures or containers for certain types of drive, logic, behavior, and different breakdowns and aspects of the human personality. Add the 22 major arcana of the tarot to the paths on the tree of life and it gets even more interesting but... I'll leave that one for another day. Point being - many gods/goddesses are a bit like stalagtites off the one God, and perhaps the three Abrahamics as they've existed for the past 1,500 to 2,500 years really have been an attempt to keep people from sacrificing kids to manmade deities and getting confused for what was spiritually up or down - unfortunately they've had their own mixed blessing and barbarisms (ie. war and forced conversion on one hand - hospitals, education, and charity on the other).
Well, the pantheons were a political maneuver, to a large extent. Artemis, for instance, was probably an attempt to integrate northern migrants, who had a bear-cult related fertility ritual going back wayyyyy far back in prehistory, into ancient Greek society. I think there is a possibility that the Greeks were first exposed to Artemis back in the 7th Century BCE when they had the colony in what is now Marseille, France, but as far as anyone can tell, her Gallic counter-part, Artio, might go back to an area near Bern, Switzerland, or it may have origins in Minoan Crete. In any case, it is probably of more northern origin because the holarctic is littered with instances of the bear-cult. We could get a little more playful with conjecture, here, and we could suggest that the Minoans might have originally imported the idea as a consequence of northern tribesmen migrating to them en masse as the changing salinity of the Black Sea disrupted the functions of preexisting human settlements, but then again, that would have been at least thousands of years prior to the dawn of Mycenaean civilization.

The way these pantheons end up getting started is really sort of charming. Tribal peoples would spend centuries alternately killing each other and intermarrying, and eventually, their descendants would go, "Hey, Ugh...why do we keep going to war?"

"I'm not sure, Og. I think it's because your great-great-grandad said that the sun created everything, and my great-great-great-grandad said that water created everything, and both got mad."

"Well, I was thinking, Ugh...both of these ideas make sense, so surely both our ancestors must have been on to something."

"Yeah, maybe they're, like...related?"

"Mine gets to be the chief god."

"Why?"

"Because I've got the bigger club."

"But!!"

*bonk*

Quote:
Seems like we might be as a culture at a point where we really need to use our introspective muscles to figure out what we are and where we're going. We already know that ideological barbarism and totalitarianism are bankrupt policies, we also realize that if we get the wrong idea about materialism and outward science we easily come to the conclusion that the best way to solve human suffering is to voluntarily go extinct prior to getting off the planet and spreading because we're decaying in a purposeless existence under that outlook and we're united in common desolation more so than love. That's the conundrum we really have to beat and I think ideologically sorting that out in the public sphere - the properly articulate and 21st/22nd century level of education and human decency sorting out that middle path between religious despotism and society-erasing nihilism. This is where I think psychology and faith will really need to have a very powerful dialogue.
I think the answer is to bring back the chthonic gods. *nods* A very wise move, I would think it. Hail to the Underworld!

CreamOfConnor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Lets face it god does not exist nor does any god exist these are primitive explainations used to explain what science logic and realization of reality could not until now! Lets face it there is no such thing as a god you are wasting your time and allowing yourself to be a thrall to a made up concept! Hence religion is useless worthless and a waste of time! You are not free with religion but willlfully allowing yourself to be a slave to a make believe belief! Free yourself and be an athiest! There is no god and science has proven it he is make believe!

God is an unfalsifiable hypothesis, and unless people start coming back from the dead, we'll never know.

-Edmund Spenser