Nigel Farage caught admitting he would privatise NHS

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 1:30 pm

Want to to have to pay at point of demand for your healthcare, like they do in America?

Vote Farage and co in and you might have to.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ni ... irror_main

My deviant art profile

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 1:48 pm

Is talk of privatized health care as toxic in UK politics as it is in Canadian politics?
If you want to sink your political hopes in Canada, just hint that you may hypothetically consider thinking of the possibility of pondering a private tier of service in your darkest, most private fantasies.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 2:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Is talk of privatized health care as toxic in UK politics as it is in Canadian politics?
If you want to sink your political hopes in Canada, just hint that you may hypothetically consider thinking of the possibility of pondering a private tier of service in your darkest, most private fantasies.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but here the NHS is very much a sacred cow (and rightly so, in my view). Talk of selling it off is such a taboo that even under the dark days of Thatcher the tories never dared go there, despite how much they would have loved to.

My deviant art profile

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 2:21 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Want to to have to pay at point of demand for your healthcare, like they do in America?

Public per capita health care spending in the US is almost twice that of the UK, and almost three times as high if you combine public and private spending. The NHS is in shambles, is it not?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2014, 2:55 pm

Humanaut wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Public per capita health care spending in the US is almost twice that of the UK, and almost three times as high if you combine public and private spending. The NHS is in shambles, is it not?

Your points seem somewhat contradictory.

Britain has the best healthcare system in the world, despite being chronically underfunded. Whilst the underfunding is bad, if it's still doing well then making it more like an inefficient system seems a terrible idea - particularly when that inefficient system screws over people too rich for assistance but not rich enough for private care and without industrial insurance. Obamacare is improving the ethics, of course, but it's not as efficient as the NHS or the Canadian system and doesn't achieve comparable results.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Your points seem somewhat contradictory.

What points?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

"Chronically underfunded"...

It's the single biggest ticket item. Unless Welfare has overtaken it?

The problem, as with pretty much everything else, is not a lack of resources, it's a lack of efficiency. I really don't see the need to employ 2% of the country's population...

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

Humanaut wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

The issue with the American method of delivering healthcare, despite how much funding may or may not be there if it isn't delivered universally the way it is in Canada or pretty much anywhere in western Europe, then the poorest are going to recieve a second rate service or be refused help and left to suffer, or even die because of otherwise preventable reasons and been left high and dry by a money making industry.
There is many allegories of people in the US being refused coverage for lifesaving help due to financial reasons. Decisions that are not made by doctors but by business people.

I agree that the UK NHS is underfunded but if you live in the UK then come what may, regardless of your circumstances, then you WILL recieve a competent level of healthcare at point of demand. This simply doesn't hold true in America.

The solution is not to sell the NHS, but to put MORE MONEY into it. Its not right to view healthcare access as a money making commodity but as a fundamental human right.

My deviant art profile

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 7:53 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I don't know how it is in Canada, but here the NHS is very much a sacred cow (and rightly so, in my view). Talk of selling it off is such a taboo that even under the dark days of Thatcher the tories never dared go there, despite how much they would have loved to.

I thought so. The attitude is the same in both countries the Tories better not privatize/ruin our public healthcare system.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 5:55 am

thomas81 wrote:
Its not right to view healthcare access as a money making commodity but as a fundamental human right.

Why do you believe that?

personal_box
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2014, 6:11 am

so he's a capitalist? your point? :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2014, 10:09 am

In his column in the Independent today, Mr Farage denied that he wanted to privatise the NHS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30045935

Magneto wrote:
"Chronically underfunded"...

It's the single biggest ticket item. Unless Welfare has overtaken it?

With the possible exception of defence, every area of government is underfunded. We don't have enough money to raise wages in line with inflation.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 11:29 am

The_Walrus wrote:
We don't have enough money to raise wages in line with inflation.

Just print more. That's what they've done in Venezuela.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 11:40 am

Printing money without forethought invariably causes hyperinflation.

Don't do it---hyperinflation caused the Nazis to emerge.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 11:42 am

Isn't Farage a right wing nazi?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Why do you believe that?

I believe there is a fundamental difference between essential services that are necessary to sustain life and peripheral services that lead to a augmented or 'happy' life. It is a matter of simple human decency to recognise and acknowledge this difference.

Commodifying the former, always leads to a scenario where people are suffering and dying because of preventable causes. I believe that is inexcusable, especially in countries with abundancy economies with elites living in grotesque wealth.

My deviant art profile