Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MorganFTL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm

While not a sin in itself I feel extroversion does blind a person to the enlightenment that comes from self reflection.

If your too obsessed with what's going on around you then you become oblivious to what is going on within.

As Socrates said: "Know Thyself! The unexamined Life is not worth Living."

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

Extroversion is the need to seek out others and conform. Is conformity bad? I say not as ignorance is always bliss. The truth is always harsh and sometimes I wish I was an extrovert rather alone soul observing the truth of society from the outside.

MorganFTL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2014, 9:43 pm

Well one could also argue that extroversion is a type of willful ignorance which I feel is sinful.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

tomato wrote:
By sin I don't mean that it has to be viewed as such by religion or described as such in any religion. I just mean low vibration, unspiritual.

I forgot to ask if anyone else has the same feeling, that extroversion is a sin.

In this context I have also been thinking about different personalities. To me it seems like personality is very much dependent on spiritual evolution. I think that perhaps spritual evolution serves to correct sin and therefore people will have less and less sin to correct the more evolved they are, and the correction of sin is done through sinning, therefore, from another angle it might be seen as the more evolved you are the more you sin or the more evil you are. The least evolved are the most socially coherent, the most in harmony with others. As you evolve you become more and more alienated, more introvert, more autistic, less connected to others. And eventually you hate everybody, even your own parents. The least evolved are the most easily manipulated, the most evolved are probably manipulators. This is why I also believe that the politics that serves the purpose of controlling people, having power over people, is simultaneously what enlightens people. I could write a whole essay on this subject, it's one of my favorite subjects at the moment.

IMHO, there are things missing from your life. Things you haven't been able to observe/experience precisely because you were on the outside. By the same token extroverts, especially marked extroverts, don't have the same experiences as yourself. So that's not to say that they have it all, that they aren't missing anything either.

Anthropology is one of the first things that come to mind for me here, because of the distinction between field anthropology and armchair anthropology. One cannot understand many things about a culture until they've internalized it through repeated socialization, and most importantly socialization in all of the different settings within a culture most.

There are some great revelations on either side of the fence and whatever we do is a reflection of our own nature. I don't see how that can be a sin/less-philosophical. Let's not forget that Socrates, for example, must have been a very social sort and he is the father of propositional reasoning.

MorganFTL wrote:
While not a sin in itself I feel extroversion does blind a person to the enlightenment that comes from self reflection.

If your too obsessed with what's going on around you then you become oblivious to what is going on within.

As Socrates said: "Know Thyself! The unexamined Life is not worth Living."

I fail to see why extroverted people would have trouble reflecting on their own selves. Any person can be introspective, it's not as if there isn't time when we all aren't socializing.

You guys know what I've observed over the years? There are just as many introverted narcissists. Just as many delusional introverts. Just as many introverts who don't understand their own feelings.

MorganFTL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
I fail to see why extroverted people would have trouble reflecting on their own selves. Any person can be introspective, it's not as if there isn't time when we all aren't socializing.

You guys know what I've observed over the years? There are just as many introverted narcissists. Just as many delusional introverts. Just as many introverts who don't understand their own feelings.

A valid point but sometimes I wonder why extroverts are so desperate for outside validation and distraction what are they so afraid of or dislike so much within their own heads?

What I've observed is that the most social of butterflies are usually the most rife with self-loathing.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 11:33 pm

MorganFTL wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:

A valid point but sometimes I wonder why extroverts are so desperate for outside validation and distraction what are they so afraid of or dislike so much within their own heads?

What I've observed is that the most social of butterflies are usually the most rife with self-loathing.

So you've observed that the most social have issues. Somehow this doesn't sound at all like "extroversion is a sin". What it sounds more like to me is that you are kind of demonizing something merely because you don't understand it. There are gobs and gobs of things they are experiencing and learning that you can't, and vice versa.

Do they have to be afraid of or dislike anything in their own heads to seek outside validation? Or maybe is it because outside validation feels good? Did you consider that it was as simple as that?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

I see most things as neutral, the negative/positive connotation coming from how they are used and, of course, the specific yardstick you use when judging others.

Sure, (extreme) extroversion *can* be harmful. It can be useful too.

Your stance reminded me of Walter Benjamin: "The destructive character is cheerful and friendly and knows only one motto: Make Room"