I don't care about rights or the constitution.

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 10:18 pm

How macho. Clearly you know nothing about history, or rights, or what it took to get them. It's sad really.

LoneSword7878
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2014, 11:55 pm

How typical. Clearly, you know nothing my ability to define myself. It's aggravating really.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 12:47 am

AspE wrote:
How macho. Clearly you know nothing about history, or rights, or what it took to get them. It's sad really.

I really dislike people like you. You clearly don't have any opinion about the subject yourself and you just regurgitate what you have been feed by society. Then, you go on and shame people who don't follow what the society wants you to think. You, sir, are the sad one trapped in the chains of society.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

So sounds like you resent the fact that there is a constitution or a government which 'allows' you to exercise your 'rights' or to just be human. I just wonder how do you propose to exist without the Constitution or something similar to it? As I see it, without a government whose powers are defined (and restrained) by some sort of structure, there will be anarchy and your ability to do all these things you want to do can be ended by pretty much anyone at any time who would fear no consequence in killing your or killing anyone else.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
BTW nobody thinks you are an a-hole, or anything that strong. They don't think your point is that profound.

Actually I said that what he wrote gives me the impression that he is an a-hole.

See feeling strongly about this is kind of the reaction he is looking for.

I mean if he truly feels like this, why is he bothering to tell anyone, rather than just living it?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 6:07 pm

AspE wrote:

The whole point of the thread is that the OP thinks he's the first person to think of the concept of natural rights...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights

To the OP,

Nice try but you're several hundred years too late...

Don't feel bad. It happens to me all the time! :P

Quote:
Charles H. McIlwain likewise observes that "the idea of the equality of men is the profoundest contribution of the Stoics to political thought" and that "its greatest influence is in the changed conception of law that in part resulted from it."[11] Cicero argues in De Legibus that "we are born for Justice, and that right is based, not upon's opinions, but upon Nature."[12]

*Cicero is a REALLY old guy... like about 2000 or something! :lol:

WrongBrain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

I don't care about a repressive society that would execute you for writing this post on this forum.

LoneSword7878

18 Nov 2014, 7:26 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
AspE wrote:

The whole point of the thread is that the OP thinks he's the first person to think of the concept of natural rights...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights

To the OP,

Nice try but you're several hundred years too late...

Don't feel bad. It happens to me all the time! :P

Quote:
Charles H. McIlwain likewise observes that "the idea of the equality of men is the profoundest contribution of the Stoics to political thought" and that "its greatest influence is in the changed conception of law that in part resulted from it."[11] Cicero argues in De Legibus that "we are born for Justice, and that right is based, not upon's opinions, but upon Nature."[12]

*Cicero is a REALLY old guy... like about 2000 or something! :lol:

What do you mean? Tell me more.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:38 pm

^^^
Just follow the link I posted or google 'natural rights.'

I might be wrong, but this seems to be what you're talking about.

Pay particular attention to a guy named Locke.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:21 pm

Orangez wrote:
AspE wrote:

I really dislike people like you. You clearly don't have any opinion about the subject yourself and you just regurgitate what you have been feed by society. Then, you go on and shame people who don't follow what the society wants you to think. You, sir, are the sad one trapped in the chains of society.

What if you were denied the right to own property? Historically many people were. Go try to buy a house then, see where your maverick attitude gets you.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

Orangez wrote:
AspE wrote:

What if you were denied the right to own property? Historically many people were. Go try to buy a house then, see where your maverick attitude gets you.

LoneSword7878

18 Nov 2014, 10:23 pm

Does anyone bother to ask where rights even come from? If rights are given to us by the powerful, there is no freedom for it is something that is personally obtained. I don't know what AspE's problem is, but personally I don't need any social constructs to live my life because I live through experience. Also, the way I see it, the bill of rights is just a list of opinions that can be ignored.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

LoneSword7878 wrote:
Did anyone bother to read that article and watch those two videos? To answer some people's questions, I do not care about many of the things that are being debated right now like healthcare, guns, or religion. I am also tired of everyone telling me over and over how sacred the constitution and my rights are. In fact, the more I hear how sacred they supposedly are, the more I want to destroy them. I also am not obligated to meet anybody's expectations except my own. Like I said, go ahead and call me an a-hole if you want, but for goodness sake, read the whole thing and think it over before you comment.

The only thing I care about as an individual human being is living my life to the fullest.

My freedom is not measured by anything that is written by other people because it is something that I was born with.

So we're supposed to talk about your feelings and say that "you're right because that article and the videos you shared with us"? Well surprise, surprise but that is BS. If you expect everyone to respect your opinions you have to establish them using logical arguments just like anyone else ought to. How are we supposed to argue with someone's feelings? And how are your ideas supposed to work functionally? These sorts of things are written down because that is how the real world functions. Whether or not you care about any of it has nothing to do with anything.

Apathy isn't inherently a virtue. It's a bland, insensitive state.

LoneSword7878

19 Nov 2014, 1:36 am

I have the power to defy these things because I am individual, and ,no, I am not expecting everyone to understand and support me.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:26 am

LoneSword7878 wrote:
I have the power to defy these things because I am individual, and ,no, I am not expecting everyone to understand and support me.

That wasn't what I was asking. How are we supposed to engage with what you've said in any meaningful way?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

LoneSword7878 wrote:
Does anyone bother to ask where rights even come from? If rights are given to us by the powerful, there is no freedom for it is something that is personally obtained. I don't know what AspE's problem is, but personally I don't need any social constructs to live my life because I live through experience. Also, the way I see it, the bill of rights is just a list of opinions that can be ignored.

Rights come from the society which acknowledges those rights. The bill of rights protects both the informed and the ignorant, so you're lucky there. Do you even know what your rights are? Try ignoring being arrested with no right to a lawyer or trial. Try ignoring when some stronger person takes all your stuff. Try ignoring not being allowed to express your opinion without getting shot.