26 Nov 2014, 11:31 am

Liveirarica wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
What I meant to say was clear and that is Word of God is literally from God (as in, written by God) rather than inspired (as in, what you are referring to), I never said that the words aren't allegorical.

God wrote something? Literally?
Obviously through revelations from his "apostles", but it's his words and they were commanded to write every single word that he said, not just inspired.

O.k. soo there was no actual writing in regards to this being. You ever hear the story about the kid who said he has blue shoes with a red stripe, and pass it on. It goes down the line, and after a few kids it ends up being a purple glove with a yellow string. Same concept. Somewhere down the line, I actally thought god wrote something, until you corrected it. But now you have to go back to where you heard it from, and he is dead. Actually a whole group of them, that had all kinds of things to say. Dead. A multitude of misinterpretation. That is my interpretation.
Do I really need to spell things out? God told the stories and WRITTEN BY his supposedly "apostles", there is a difference here. It's still "God's words", they are just not dramatized and fictional stuff added by the apostles as they weren't biblical inspires, got it?
So when people made later changes, they were instructed to by God as well?
No.

It's not even the same language?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 11:39 am

If you have 12 Apostles, you'll have 12 different takes upon what "God" dictated to them.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:13 pm

logically, the burden of proof lies with the one making the positive assumption. no one needs to prove god doesn't exist. the burden of proof is on those who claim god exists. it is impossible to prove a negative. i believe in fairies. prove that i'm wrong.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:21 pm

cathylynn wrote:
logically, the burden of proof lies with the one making the positive assumption. no one needs to prove god doesn't exist. the burden of proof is on those who claim god exists. it is impossible to prove a negative. i believe in fairies. prove that i'm wrong.
I DO NOT BELIEVE IN FAIRIES!! ! *fairy starts choking and dies* Muahahahha!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Liveirarica
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2014, 11:29 am

yournamehere wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
What I meant to say was clear and that is Word of God is literally from God (as in, written by God) rather than inspired (as in, what you are referring to), I never said that the words aren't allegorical.

Obviously through revelations from his "apostles", but it's his words and they were commanded to write every single word that he said, not just inspired.

O.k. soo there was no actual writing in regards to this being. You ever hear the story about the kid who said he has blue shoes with a red stripe, and pass it on. It goes down the line, and after a few kids it ends up being a purple glove with a yellow string. Same concept. Somewhere down the line, I actally thought god wrote something, until you corrected it. But now you have to go back to where you heard it from, and he is dead. Actually a whole group of them, that had all kinds of things to say. Dead. A multitude of misinterpretation. That is my interpretation.
Do I really need to spell things out? God told the stories and WRITTEN BY his supposedly "apostles", there is a difference here. It's still "God's words", they are just not dramatized and fictional stuff added by the apostles as they weren't biblical inspires, got it?
No.

It's not even the same language?
Who would know. Some say Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin. There are quite a few.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2014, 1:11 pm

Shep wrote:
The challenge
Prove, using science and science alone, that there is no higher being, keeping in mind the following:
I wouldn't want to! The planet was sneezed from the nose of the Great Green Arklesiezure. Everyone knows that!

Quote:
1 - Science must be considered "peer-reviewed". No basement-dwelling aethiests like the above thread was littered with. I'm talking PhD-certified scientists proving there is no higher being. Direct links (or usable citations) to PhD-level content must be provided to back up any claims.
If you are talking about theories of the origin and nature of the universe other than the Great Green Arklesiezure, then I doubt you would understand the workings of super-symmetry or d-branes, but feel free to give it a try. See if any of this material is relevant.

http://newton.kias.re.kr/~brane/2004/Y.%20Kim/fms.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep--th/9812219.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1108.4424.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1306.1284.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1311.1521.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.3082.pdf

I never could quite master it, so I just stick to the blessed Great Green Arklesiezure and my Lord and Master Ningishzida. Hail to the Underworld!

Quote:
2 - Any science that is based on things originating from religious texts (e.g. praying, baptism, afterlifes, etc.) cannot be included. Why? Simple: if science really has proven there is no God, then this makes a direct assumption that said books are pure fiction.
Not all forms of Buddhism require a deity, nor do all forms of paganism.

I think that you have been misdirecting your prayers, though. The only deity who really answers your pleas is my Lord and Master Ningishzida, although the most reliable way to contact him would be to sacrifice several human vict...uh...volunteers, which would not be very nice. Us followers of Ningishzida are still trying to figure out what the Lord of the Underworld would want to do with them, but that remains a mystery.

Quote:
3 - Along the lines of point 2, Anything targeting a specific religion is invalid for this challenge. Why? Again, simple: just because one religion is wrong does not mean higher beings don't exist. The science must target any and all higher beings. We can debate the authenticity of a particular religion all day every day for the rest of our lives. I'm solely interested in researching this claim that has been made and not backed up as of yet.
You still have to define a "higher being" besides affirming the existence of the Great Green Arklesiezure. Saying "disprove something! Anything!" and then saying, "No, that's not it!" is a Where's Waldo game that no self-respecting person is going to play with you.

Playing these kinds of annoying games is rude, and it's time someone called you out on it. Clearly define what it is that you want to discuss, or you could just man up to the fact that the universe was truly sneezed from the nose of the Great Green Arklesiezure.

Quote:
4 - Science is NOT the same thing as philosophy.
Actually, science is really a more rigorous extension of philosophy that is based on a massive application of empiricism. Empiricism means working with empirical data. No empirical data, no claim to either the affirmative or the contrary.

Quote:
Keep in mind: I'm starting up a church, so this is very relevant to my interests.
I pity your congregation. You are more interested in trying to prove the skeptics wrong than trying to nurture people's spirits and support their faith. That's very poor form for a religious leader.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

28 Nov 2014, 3:12 pm

Things in th universe are not unlike riding a wave.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:10 pm

^^^

True and the easiest way to Understand GOD IS IT (god) IS not that complicated unless one makes IT as such....

i prefer to be the wave as well.. and LET the rest of GOD's realm be field and particles...

THE best thing about fluid intelligence is...

It moves..

Whereas Crystallized Intelligence is just that....

STATIC. ;)

COOL AVATAR.. by the way..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

30 Nov 2014, 10:48 pm

^^^thanks.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 1:26 am

Liveirarica wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Liveirarica wrote:

No.

Well then, we don't know what's inspired and what's not. For example, the story where Jesus talks to the woman at the well and tells her she's had many husbands, when Jesus says, "go and sin no more," those words are believed to have been added by a later editor, just one of many little edits.

The Pentateuch was originally thought to have been written by Moses. But scholars now agree that it had at least 3 main authors and several editors adding lots of bits to make it fit together. Yet Jesus refers to it as Moses writing. Was he inspired or ignorant?

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.