Why are these women being locked up with men?

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:48 am

I'm going to pull a Dumbledore here and quote from Chapter 35 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: "King's Cross":

Quote:
"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

And let me introduce you to an area of psychiatry which is wed to philosophy: phenomenological psychiatry, a branch of psychiatry that tries to understand mental illness by getting inside the person's head and capturing their experiences, which can bring great insight into the nature of the different mental illnesses.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:59 am

beneficii wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:
Why are these women being locked up with men?

i would think that if men who claimed that they were women were being locked up with women, then many toms dick and harry would be using it as an excuse to get some action from desperate female inmates.

Yes, because as we all know, distinguishing between someone who has lived years as a woman and a man who just comes up with the idea on the spot is clearly impossible. [/sarcasm]

you did not include an opening sarcasm bracket so i do not know where the sarcasm begins. maybe back a few posts ago but i will not bother to check.

anyway, why does it take years of thinking you're a woman to make you a woman? what is the case when you first start thinking you are a woman? what happens if you decide you are a woman at 17 and go to jail at 18?

also, if all it took was "years" of thinking you are a woman to be a woman, then many smart young criminal men would ensure their futures by claiming they were woman at an early age so that they know that if they ever go to jail, they would be locked up with who they desire.

the transgender people would probably protest morally if someone was dismissed as not authentic because they have "only just realized" they were the opposite sex, so if it is the case (as they may assert) that the length of time one has been in the notion that they were the opposite sex is irrelevant, then many men pending prison time would decide they were women at the drop of a hat and chaos would ensue.

i think men are inherently incompatible with women in a prison setting because of obvious reasons. strength, assertiveness, brutality and other things would ensure that men rise to the top of the pecking order, and the women would be mainly groupies if they were to prevail.

it goes without saying that a man who smuggles himself disguised as a woman into a prison would be a cause for concern on a level that it is not economically viable to investigate or monitor.

if they could have segregated sections of prisons where they could be incarcerated with only other transgendered people (of the same notional sex), then that may be a solution if there are enough of them to make it viable which there probably would be.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:15 am

b9, go read up on transgender people before returning to this thread. I find your lack of knowledge... disturbing.

I mean, seriously claiming that men would choose to go through the rigmarole of pretending to be transwoman, with all the shaming and abuse that entails, just so they could get locked up with women? Only to find that they don't have any sex drive now, because of the hormone therapy they had so they could complete their disguise? And that even if they did, they're now about as strong as the other women as a result of the therapy, so they'll find it hard to force themselves on a woman - assuming they could get an erection, which they can't because of the aforementioned hormone therapy...

Putting transwomen in women's prisons would not mean allowing any male who claims to be a woman to go there. Well, maybe, if he manages to deceive the psych evaluation, but now he has to deal with a prison that is legally bound to give "her" the medicine "she" needs...

b9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

Magneto wrote:
b9, go read up on transgender people before returning to this thread. I find your lack of knowledge... disturbing.
sorry about that.

Magneto wrote:
I mean, seriously claiming that men would choose to go through the rigmarole of pretending to be transwoman, with all the shaming and abuse that entails, just so they could get locked up with women?

it depends on how desperate they are i suppose, and i also suspect that desperation is a common phenomena amongst criminals. that is a tinderbox in itself.

Magneto wrote:
Only to find that they don't have any sex drive now, because of the hormone therapy they had so they could complete their disguise? And that even if they did, they're now about as strong as the other women as a result of the therapy, so they'll find it hard to force themselves on a woman - assuming they could get an erection, which they can't because of the aforementioned hormone therapy...

it is not conclusive to my satisfaction that the mere papers that indicate that a male has been medicated is proof of their innocuousness in a woman's setting.

Magneto wrote:
Putting transwomen in women's prisons would not mean allowing any male who claims to be a woman to go there. Well, maybe, if he manages to deceive the psych evaluation, but now he has to deal with a prison that is legally bound to give "her" the medicine "she" needs...

it is better to be safe than sorry i guess. it would cost too much to hire psychologists and other people necessary to confirm the fitness for introduction into a female prison for every person who files on by trying to get in with a wig and a dress on.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:19 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Because they're men?
... If you identify as female, you're female. End of story, and don't go on to say anything different.

Ahh ... the Subjectivist Fallacy ... rarely has there ever been a finer example.

If you are a man who identifies himself as a woman, then you are a man who identifies himself as a woman - that is all.

Men who identify themselves as women are being locked up with men who identify themselves as men, no more and no less.

Man-on-man brutality in prison is nothing new. No women are being harmed.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 11:17 am

Fnord wrote:
If you are a man who identifies himself as a woman, then you are a man who identifies himself as a woman - that is all.

Men who identify themselves as women are being locked up with men who identify themselves as men, no more and no less.

What does it take to be a woman ?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:08 pm

As I read the article (which is about detained asylum seekers, not prisoners) it looks like solutions have already been arrived at, just not implemented. Implementing the solutions that are on paper but not in practice is what needs to happen. The wrongness of detaining (they aren't criminals) transwomen with men has already been accepted by the immigration authorities, according to the article. That hasn't trickled down to the ones doing the actual sorting of detainees.

Quote:
By their own standards, placement of transgender detainees should not be based ?solely on the identity documents or physical anatomy of the detainee.? The new rules encourage staff to consider detainees? own gender identity. The same handbook says solitary confinement should be a last resort to house transgender people.

Some advocates say even the facilities that are supposed to follow the new rules, simply don?t. ICE would not comment on that allegation.

So the guidelines are already in place. Their gender identity is a done deal, according to the guidelines. But those guidelines aren't being followed- which is the actual problem.

These are asylum seekers being held pending judgement of whether to give them asylum, not prisoners. It is unsurprising that there is a skew towards gay and transgender since they are fleeing countries where that is not allowed. Since they are not prisoners (but rather detainees) I see no reason to treat this as a prison rape problem. Why can't they simply deport the attackers rather than keep them here as possible future immigrants? Anyway, there is no absolute mandate why we have to stick to the gender binary and only have 2 places to sort people into. Why not 3? They actually came up with that solution too:
Quote:
Immigration officials say they have a model facility in Southern California that only houses gay and bisexual men and transgender women. While some 75 transgender detainees are housed across the country every night, the California facility only houses an average of 44 gay, bisexual and transgender individuals at a time.

I think that^^^ is an excellent solution. It needs to be expanded.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Because they're men?
... If you identify as female, you're female. End of story, and don't go on to say anything different.

Ahh ... the Subjectivist Fallacy ... rarely has there ever been a finer example.

No, it is not an example of the relativist fallacy.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:51 pm

Jannisy,

Exactly. The guidelines already recognize the importance of gender identity and current lived experience, but for whatever reason that has not filtered down to the actual people in charge of implementing them.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 5:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
... the Subjectivist Fallacy ...

...is only applicable if the principle of non-contradiction is adhered to. Since we don't live in the Dark Ages anymore, we have access to paraconsistent logics which are quite capable of evaluating collections of propositions which might appear contradictory under a primitive syllogistic analysis.

But that's probably overkill; a first-order logical quantification of the proposition in question is sufficient to dispel the accusation of subjectivism.

Let P be the set of all human persons;
For any p in P, let gi(p) be the gender which p identifies as;
For any p in P, let ga(p) be the function which returns whatever gender-identity andrethemoogle would assign to p;
For any p in P, let gf(p) be the function which returns whatever gender-identity Fnord would assign to p on the basis of whatever decision-structure causes Fnord to make such a determination (presumably some subset of biological characteristics but it doesn't make a difference to the logical structure of the argument);

All andrethemoogle stated was:
For the subset Q of P such that, for every q in Q, gi(q) = female; then for any q in Q, ga(q) = gi(q).

Your response parses to:
It is not necessarily the case that, for every q in Q, gf(q) = gi(q).

It's not a subjectivist fallacy to employ operational definitions when describing phenomena which the description-provider(s) cannot experience directly (such as the internal mental states of other people). However, the dismissal of any treatment of subjective phenomena as necessarily fallacious, via appeal to the relativist fallacy, is itself always and necessarily a petitio principii fallacy.

Hail Eris!

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Nov 2014, 6:37 pm

The division between male and female prisons doesn't have anything to do with how you identify, its just biology and only that. Nobody would advocate putting female-to-male transgenders in male prison, the same applies to male-to-female. You go where your parts match, the only leeway I think would be if you've had full SRS and no longer have those parts. Some jails and prisons house homosexuals and transgenders in their own unit which I guess could be an option if need be but putting somebody of the opposite gender biologically into the prison they "identify" as because feelings doesn't seem very logical to me and is asking for a lot of problems.

As I mentioned before, I dislike the whole idea of incarceration and don't think anybody should be at risk of sexual assault regardless of their gender. I think by addressing this issue this one would become largely moot.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:42 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The division between male and female prisons doesn't have anything to do with how you identify, its just biology and only that. Nobody would advocate putting female-to-male transgenders in male prison, the same applies to male-to-female. You go where your parts match, the only leeway I think would be if you've had full SRS and no longer have those parts. Some jails and prisons house homosexuals and transgenders in their own unit which I guess could be an option if need be but putting somebody of the opposite gender biologically into the prison they "identify" as because feelings doesn't seem very logical to me and is asking for a lot of problems.

As I mentioned before, I dislike the whole idea of incarceration and don't think anybody should be at risk of sexual assault regardless of their gender. I think by addressing this issue this one would become largely moot.

It'd be nice for people in this country to all have access to SRS. Have you considered donating?

http://jimcollinsfoundation.org/

http://jimcollinsfoundation.org/why-is- ... on-needed/

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:56 pm

Thread unlocked due to popular demand.

Carry-on, folks.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)