Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 12:13 am

Major political social blocks in America are mislabeled.

Democrats - liberal, social justice warrior, the left. They are operationally The Conservatives.
Republicans - right wing, alpha b*tch, conservatives, . They are operationally The Reactionaries.

Democrats=Conservatives
Republicans=Reactionaries

Not represented in government but a very sizable social minority block,
Libertarians - they advocate more personal freedom making a lot of things illegal legal. Less government regulations, protection rackets and entitlements. This is a very big threat to all those slurping and oinking at the government regulation/entitlement trough. So libertarians are represented as not part of the common cud chewing normal society.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 1:42 am

I don't know what a reactionary is, but I always wondered why people consider democrats to be liberal. Liberals are supposed to be relaxed with taboo subjects. Look at all the laws democrats pass prohibiting sexuality and nudism.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2014, 2:14 am

America's political vocabulary is fairly unique amongst the world. 'Conservative', 'liberal', and 'libertarian' all mean something different in America.

Following your example, the Libertarians are actually Liberals.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:21 am

Yes, the Democrat Party in the US is anything but liberal. Left-wing is right though.

The Republic Party is more liberal, though it's still not fully liberal. They are conservative in certain values, which is why they aren't fully liberal. Right works.

The Libertarian Party (is that the often maligned "Tea Party?") is the real liberal one.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:40 am

If Libertarians where more willing to acknowledge the necessity of welfare/social safety network to help those facing poverty, than I'd be more willing to support them. But just the fact they refer to them as 'entitlements' which has a negative connotation gives a pretty good idea of what they think of such government programs.....then again if they had a plan to eliminate poverty and thus eliminate the need for such government assistance to citizens than I'd be all for that, but thus far I have not seen them come up with a plan for that. I like their stance on personal freedoms for the most part though, just still a little too right wing...as are the democrats and republicans.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2014, 6:33 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
If Libertarians where more willing to acknowledge the necessity of welfare/social safety network to help those facing poverty, than I'd be more willing to support them. But just the fact they refer to them as 'entitlements' which has a negative connotation gives a pretty good idea of what they think of such government programs.....then again if they had a plan to eliminate poverty and thus eliminate the need for such government assistance to citizens than I'd be all for that, but thus far I have not seen them come up with a plan for that. I like their stance on personal freedoms for the most part though, just still a little too right wing...as are the democrats and republicans.

Some (myself included) actually do support a negative tax rate up to poverty level.

The other component of getting people integrated into the workforce is abolition of minimum wage laws, removing barriers for the young, disabled, and otherwise disadvantaged low-skilled workers to enter the labor market. Of course, to the statists and well-meaning but misguided bleeding hearts who approach economic matters with their hearts instead of their brains, to suggest such a thing is political suicide. :roll:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Nov 2014, 7:17 am

The Democratic Party is a centre-right, moderately conservative party with authoritarian streaks that is also the default home of left-liberals, progressives and other centre-left types in America.

The Republican Party is a solidly right wing, conservative party with an authoritarian streak that is also the default home of neoliberals, libertarians, conservative reactionaries, constitutionalists, and other solid or far right political persuasions in the USA.

The far left don't really have a home. Anarchists of all colours don't have a home. The extreme right don't have a home. Many of the groups that might use the major parties don't really make any progress on their goals. The best any of these groups can do, unless they somehow gain critical mass within their party, is to vote for a minor party.

This characterisation that there are three political positions is just as infantile as the idea that there are only two, but it's all the more annoying that it is made by smug pseudo-intellectuals who think they've "broken free of the system".

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Nov 2014, 7:19 am

drh1138 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Some (myself included) actually do support a negative tax rate up to poverty level.

The other component of getting people integrated into the workforce is abolition of minimum wage laws, removing barriers for the young, disabled, and otherwise disadvantaged low-skilled workers to enter the labor market. Of course, to the statists and well-meaning but misguided bleeding hearts who approach economic matters with their hearts instead of their brains, to suggest such a thing is political suicide. :roll:

The young and disabled already have exemptions in minimum wage laws in America, so evidently it isn't political suicide.

Also, the economics are not nearly as clear cut as you think. Multiple studies show little or no effect on employment when the minimum wage rises.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:20 am

Dillogic wrote:
Yes, the Democrat Party in the US is anything but liberal. Left-wing is right though.

The Republic Party is more liberal, though it's still not fully liberal. They are conservative in certain values, which is why they aren't fully liberal. Right works.

The Libertarian Party (is that the often maligned "Tea Party?") is the real liberal one.

The Tea Party movement isn't homogeneous. It consists of socially moderate conservatives who support a radical gutting of the social safety net, libertarians, bible-thumping social reactionaries, Southern good ol' boys, Klansmen, John Birch Society members and many more diverse groups.

Obviously Birchers, the KKK and bible-thumping reactionaries aren't libertarian in the slightest.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 11:34 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Obviously Birchers, the KKK and bible-thumping reactionaries aren't libertarian in the slightest.

The sad thing is that almost every public figure who claims to be libertarian either has never bothered to look up the term libertarian or has just co-opted the name to try snagging a few extra votes.