So, apparently I could possibly be deported...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 9:20 am

With regards to http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... byelection

Really living up to his name, isn't he? But, with dread I think of historic precedents and where they realistically led... (Gandhi's quote applies even to fringe opinions, whether insane or genius).

No way am I going back to a place that has a human density of 1,562/km². I'd rather suffocate in deep space than be that close to random idiots... >.<

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 1:53 am

No interest in this? I'm not overblowing it a bit in my head, am I, in thinking this may even possibly end up in a similar situation of Nazi Germany? I mean, it's how it began too... not that UKIP will end up with a majority in parliament... but people's hatred can go far.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2014, 5:08 am

I don't think you need to worry.

Douglas Carswell was on Question Time last night and he firmly condemned the remarks, pointing out that they weren't UKIP policy and he didn't even think they were Reckless' true opinion, he just spoke sloppily at the end of a long day. Of course, take that with a pinch of salt.

The reaction of the audience told you everything you needed to know. Most people are opposed to UKIP's policies.

Polling at 14% is impressive considering that they and the BNP combined only hit 5% in 2010, but there's still 86% who do not support UKIP, and they're hugely unpopular amongst that 86%. It's perhaps a bit unfair on the sensible members of the party like Carswell.

Actually, scrap that - a quick look at Carswell's views show that he's opposed to gay marriage and doesn't believe current climate change is driven by man, though he claims to now support the continuing existence of the NHS. He's clearly not someone who can object to the loony tag, even if he is still smeared by accusations of racism based on little more than association with UKIP.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 10:06 am

We won the by-election with a near 3,000 majority. Good result; let's hope we retain the seat at the general election. I think we will. I hope this causes havoc amongst the Tories (and I hope that Labour MPs like Simon Danczuk join us.

Mootoo wrote:
But, with dread I think of historic precedents and where they realistically led...

I can't think of any historical precedent that applies. I can't think of anywhere that has done what we want to do. We want to leave a political union and return to being a self-governing, independent nation with its own immigration controls. Not really radically different from what other countries like Australia, New Zealand or Canada have now, as a matter of fact.

If you're here legally, you can stay. UKIP have never objected to those EU nationals already here being able to stay - but we do want to instigate border controls for future arrivals.

(Not that I often trust Question Time audiences - they appear to be very skewed. I remember the episode from, I think it was from Boston or near there in Lincolnshire, and the audience were very anti-UKIP in an area where there is a lot of UKIP support.)

Incidentally, where are you from, OP? :)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

The reality is Polish and other immigrant has contributed a huge amount. They are hard working. People talking them down, it isn't really anything that is their fault. They are also one of the best allies we have had.

Yes there are people that come who to abuse the system. I support leaving the EU, broadly pro-economic immigration, but no benefits till several years of tax contribution.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 3:46 pm

We have to stop being hypocrites. Brits have emigrated all over.

Not just the retires in Spain who climate winter fuel allowance whilst complaining about the immigrant back home.

It the Mediterranean there are many Britons working in the tourism industry. Also all over the world. Arguably these job can be filled by locals, but I'm not complaining.

Immigration will become almost irrelevant soon. Many professions like my own, migration is irrelevant becuase anybody the world can compete with me, and I have clients in many different countries. Again i don't complain.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2014, 7:01 am

Reckless has clarified his remarks. He thought he was towing the party line (which he disagreed with) that EU migrants would have to leave after we left the EU, but Farage has now done a u-turn on party policy and allowed them to stay. I do not know whether Reckless or Tequila is right about the former policy (and thus whether Farage changed anything at all). If it's another sudden u-turn then how can anyone trust anything UKIP say?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:35 pm

If they throw out the foreigners, who is going to do those jobs?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

Why, natives of course! Yes, you, stone-henge man! Whoo, natives have such guts... like.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:13 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Why, natives of course! Yes, you, stone-henge man! Whoo, natives have such guts... like.

But the natives often don't want those jobs.