Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 5:40 pm

Sex determination through chromosome isn't the only way it is done in nature, there are animal, where chromosomes play no part.

Where chromosome are involved at best you could say it is a sort of catalyst in development (which can sometimes have unusual outcomes).

It is important to point out that you physical sex, may bare no relation to gender in the brain. Since the brain is 'self' is basically the person, if they feel their physical attributes don't match their gender

I guess nobody would really know (including me), unless you have been in their shoes. Why anyone would be bother aout what is basically someone else's choice the mind boggles.

Whilst there are gender stereotypes exist, in a relative world they can realize that they have been pinned to the wrong gender, becuase of physical sex being linked to these stereotypes, even if in a another culture the stereotypes are unique.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2014, 6:16 pm

Is there anything deeper? How do I know what my psychological sex is, if it's a distinct thing from the physical sex? In my mind, being male has no meaning other than having male physical characteristics; I would have no other way to decide in my mind what gender I am than look at the physical characteristics. When I'm not thinking about these characteristics or sexual things, I don't care about my gender. (I thought man and woman simply meant adult male/female human.)
(A (bad?) analogy: What is my pysychological hair color? I have no way to answer other than looking in the mirror, after which I will answer what I see.)

Societal stereotypes exist, but most people who don't conform to stereotypes at most think that the stereotypes are wrong, not their physical sex.

The thing doesn't bother me, I just don't understand. I agree that likely only an affected person can explain.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 6:27 pm

If we were just robots maybe.

If lived a box you may not consider gender, sexuality. You would have biological urges but would have not frame of reference.

It is really not a case of the natural hair colour, becuase if you didn't feel comfortable blonde you would dye it.

Gender "dysfunction" has been studies for years. It occurs naturally, often at an early age and fairly randomly.

People mutilate their genitals, just for body modification. If they feel more comfortable with a vagina or penis that is their business.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 21 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 6:29 pm

BTW there is nothing deeper as far as identity is concerned than self.

You can't have a brain transplant, becuase it would be a body transplant.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 6:29 pm

the big question is why does gender dysphoria vary per trans person?

some commit suicide at a young age because it's so intolerable, and others can make it to age 50+ without breaking down ...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 6:36 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
the big question is why does gender dysphoria vary per trans person?

some commit suicide because it is so intolerable, and others can make it to age 50+ without breaking down ...

They have different circumstance and personality. It is not really surprising suicide rates are higher, as it is harder to find acceptance.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 6:42 pm

I suspect that certain people aren't likely to commit suicide, whatever happens to them. Curl up in a ball and hope to sleep until the heat death of the universe, yes. Suicide, no.

I don't know, I've never seriously considered suicide, though I've threatened it in the hope of showing my parents how serious the issue is. Still, I honestly don't think I could make it with a meaningful life, it's gotten pretty intense this past year. Whereas my friend attempted suicide several years ago, and has been in the hospital a couple of times since then with drug overdoses...

I suspect I'm less the suicide type, and more the spree killer type. If I snap, I'm taking those who have made my life a misery with me.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:00 am

Magneto wrote:
I suspect I'm less the suicide type, and more the spree killer type. If I snap, I'm taking those who have made my life a misery with me.

I sincerely hope not.

Spree killing is an undeniably selfish act, what good will it do such a thing?

Ordinary people may have made you life a misery, simply by being different from you. However it is not always everyone else fault. Yes you will encounter bullies true, but these kind of actions are rarely discriminate. The impact of such tragic actions are far wider, and totally unjustified.

One of the key personality trait of spree killers, is seeing themselves as victim, but an inability to see others as having similar challenges in life. Often it come hand in hand with mood disorders like depression. Depression is like a microcosm, it is can be difficult for a person in it to know which way is up, it is disorientating an horrible.

I recommend that you go an talk to someone ASAP. Don't wait. Find someone who you trust reasonably well and confide in them.

I think childhood and young adulthood is a bit overrated, thankful it doesn't last for ever. I have advice for you later once you get over this difficult period, which I think you could benefit from some compassion but also some practical help.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:11 pm

Don't worry, I'll seek help if I ever seriously consider such an act. But being aware of it as a possibility is a good thing, don't ya' think, because it makes me more aware of my own thinking? Far better to be aware of one's montrous side and so be able to seek assistence in restraining it, than to continue on in ignorance until someone gets hurt...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm

Magneto wrote:
Don't worry, I'll seek help if I ever seriously consider such an act. But being aware of it as a possibility is a good thing, don't ya' think, because it makes me more aware of my own thinking? Far better to be aware of one's montrous side and so be able to seek assistence in restraining it, than to continue on in ignorance until someone gets hurt...

Your "monstrous" side is pent up anger.

If you don't vent a pressure chamber, it will explode. It is far better to find a release for anger and frustration now, that to wait till breaking point. You won't recognize the lead-up to the point of failure. That is what is meant by catastrophic.

Sure you aren't going do such a thing as far as you know, but you have anger and frustration that isn't making your life better. You should find a healthy outlet for it. If you feel trapped you should seek help, and also there are other ways to release anger healthy.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Nov 2014, 5:29 am

1024 wrote:
Is there anything deeper? How do I know what my psychological sex is, if it's a distinct thing from the physical sex? In my mind, being male has no meaning other than having male physical characteristics; I would have no other way to decide in my mind what gender I am than look at the physical characteristics. When I'm not thinking about these characteristics or sexual things, I don't care about my gender.

Behold! Cis privilege! :)

Naturally, cis people never think about gender v sex because we just assume they are one and the same. Trans people show that they are not.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 8:29 am

Walrus, how do you know he's not agender, but just doesn't realise it? I'm sure there are people who have no strong gender identity, who could change sex without being particularly distressed...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 9:55 am

Magneto wrote:
Walrus, how do you know he's not agender, but just doesn't realise it? I'm sure there are people who have no strong gender identity, who could change sex without being particularly distressed...

Pretty much sounds like me; however, I "get" the transgendered plight.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2014, 1:07 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
1024 wrote:
Is there anything deeper? How do I know what my psychological sex is, if it's a distinct thing from the physical sex? In my mind, being male has no meaning other than having male physical characteristics; I would have no other way to decide in my mind what gender I am than look at the physical characteristics. When I'm not thinking about these characteristics or sexual things, I don't care about my gender.

Behold! Cis privilege! :)

Naturally, cis people never think about gender v sex because we just assume they are one and the same. Trans people show that they are not.

However, they are the same. John Money,who came up with this idea, was a crazy and caused his example, David Reimer, to kill himself. If his base of his thesis end up kill himself due to his experiments I think it is a cause to not believe in this thesis.

Also, check your NON-CIS privilege. You are very sexist if the first argument you can bring up against some is that they are not apart of your special social group. You are the sick sexist individual as you see their so called privilege before the person.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2014, 1:30 pm

Orangez wrote:
Also, check your NON-CIS privilege. You are very sexist if the first argument you can bring up against some is that they are not apart of your special social group. You are the sick sexist individual as you see their so called privilege before the person.

I need to stop coming into this reactionary circle-jerk of a "forum". If it wasn't WP's eye-charring new layout and gradual fall into anarchic fuckwittery after the best and most reasonable mods left, it'd have been this s**t here.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

The David Reimer case reinforces the idea that sex and gender are distinct and that one's gender identity is rarely fluid. Essentially it represents a case of someone being forced through much of what transgendered individuals experience.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う