Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:07 pm

It's off to the races!

Quote:
Every few months I find myself reading something written by a person with no actual psychological, psychiatric, or medical training expounding on why they believe transgender people aren't real, shouldn't be allowed to transition, or just need some old-school "reparative therapy" complete with screaming, pillow whacking and cuddling with a "therapist."

Recently there has been a spate of blog posts raising the specter of transgender people regretting transitioning. They cite their two favorite studies, without actually looking at what the actual studies said, and drag out some old anecdotes. In short, they try to muddy the waters the way climate-change deniers or creationists do by throwing up a cloud of chaff and hoping no one will look any closer. And then there's the fact that the authors of these blog posts also think that same-sex marriage will abolish all marriage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tan ... 60626.html

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm

The biggest regret perhaps would be to grow old and live in a fake shell your whole life.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 5:14 pm

In Iran gays who are not trans are pressured into having the change, because that is more accepted.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

inb4 PPR's cultural reactionaries and denialists get the thread locked pretending that transgender issues aren't 'real'. :lol:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

I can't say I've ever regretted thinking I'm an Uruk from Mordor, so I agree entirely.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Nov 2014, 8:09 pm

I would personally not recommend chopping off your genitalia, I do think regret of that specific procedure could happen and its irreversible. You can still live as the gender you identify without irreversibly mutilating your natural body, you are more than your genitalia. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around doing that but I guess I don't have any authority to say that, at that point tho I don't think it is healthy IMO. I certainly don't believe in conversion therapy or whatever, I believe you brought up the tragic case David Reimer and the quackery of John Money in another thread which is something we're on the same page as.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:14 pm

drh1138 wrote:
inb4 people who think the rules exist to prevent them from encountering ideas they don't like nag the mods into locking :lol:

Fixed that for you.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:14 pm

Genital mutilation is okay if it's to be another sex.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:16 pm

Genital mutilation is okay if it's to be another sex.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
drh1138 wrote:
inb4 people who think the rules exist to prevent them from encountering ideas they don't like nag the mods into locking :lol:

Fixed that for you.

Except when it's blatant transphobia, the user needs to be disciplined. We are all on the spectrum here, we of all people should respect others and not judge them.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:44 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Except when it's blatant transphobia, the user needs to be disciplined. We are all on the spectrum here, we of all people should respect others and not judge them.

This is PPR, the whole point is for people to argue about beliefs, and opinions on transsexualism are definitely fair game for discussion. You don't get to come in and decide what the "correct" opinion is and have people punished who feel otherwise, that's not how it works.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I would personally not recommend chopping off your genitalia, I do think regret of that specific procedure could happen and its irreversible. You can still live as the gender you identify without irreversibly mutilating your natural body, you are more than your genitalia. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around doing that but I guess I don't have any authority to say that, at that point tho I don't think it is healthy IMO. I certainly don't believe in conversion therapy or whatever, I believe you brought up the tragic case David Reimer and the quackery of John Money in another thread which is something we're on the same page as.

First, your genitalia is never "chopped off."

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2014, 11:10 pm

Jacoby wrote:

If you had an earlobe on your forehead, you'd probably look to having it removed or altered. I'm an outsider, granted; but having a close friend who is transgender, HRT and SRS isn't something horroriffic on the level of creating Frankenstein's monster.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Nov 2014, 12:18 am

I can't speak for them or what's best for them, that's just my opinion on that specific surgery from an outside perspective. It's not the thought that it's unnatural or wrong for them to want that outcome, it's just I don't think it fixes or analogues anything. It may be what somebody wants to do but it might not to be the most healthy thing imo.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 3:15 am

Jacoby wrote:
I can't speak for them or what's best for them, that's just my opinion on that specific surgery from an outside perspective. It's not the thought that it's unnatural or wrong for them to want that outcome, it's just I don't think it fixes or analogues anything. It may be what somebody wants to do but it might not to be the most healthy thing imo.

As long as the surgery is done properly and the patient follows the doctors orders to a tee, I don't see what's unhealthy about it.

It fixes the problem for those who are transgender and do not want the genitals they were born with. Not all those are transgender want the surgery, but the majority of people who are trans that I've spoken to do want or have gotten the surgery done so they feel right.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 3:19 am

Jacoby wrote:

The brain has the body "mapped", so a trans man/woman may feel discomfort because of the incongruity of having the wrong genitalia. Presently, medicine has not figured out how to tinker with the brain to offer trans people another means of relieving this discomfort. So, this is best method available, and it does "fix" something.