Homosexuality genetically determined. Implications?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 10:41 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

Why would homosexualiaty disappear if the species overall numbers are low? The ratio should be about the same -- there'd just be less of both. A population of 100 with 2% being homosexual shouldn't be different than a population of 1,000,000 with the same 2%. The only way it'd be less is if there's some actual choice involved by societal expectations/pressure, which doesn't seem to be the case with homosexuality.

Again, you need to be more measured with your comments.

Why would homosexuality disappear in small populations? Wrong question, that implies that it doesn't happen but some people just think it might do. It doesn't always, but it often does - see http://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/v ... ccess_etds for a summary (note that this is an old paper and evidence since isn't as supportive - some animals are homosexual even without mate competition.

Why does it happen? Probably epigenetics. I would hypothesise that the genes for homosexual behaviour are switched off when population density is low. Change in individuals is not always down to choice. Also, it is worth noting that this hasn't been observed in humans - unsurprisingly, given our understand of both science and homosexuality has only really taken off after global population density has skyrocketed. Areas with low population density are generally more homophobic, so a fair test at this point might be difficult.

I don't know if this is a legitimate observation on my part or not, but in situations in prisons and ships at sea, homosexual behavior is well known to take place, even when most who participate in it are otherwise heterosexual. Kinsey had observed how older men in the rural west had engaged in homosexual behavior even as late as the nineteen fifties, as the old west of their youth had still had few women, but a plethora of men.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

Personally, I think we're all too hung up on the question of whether it's a choice or not. It shouldn't matter... lots of things are a choice, including what religion you follow and people are protected under the law anyway.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Personally, I think we're all too hung up on the question of whether it's a choice or not. It shouldn't matter... lots of things are a choice, including what religion you follow and people are protected under the law anyway.

While I personally don't see it as a choice, I think you're right.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 5:11 pm

Ectryon wrote:
I dont want this thread to be derailed into talk about the probability that homsexuality is biologically determined. That's not really a PPR topic. This is more about how Politico religious homophobes would react

So you want to know how fundamentalists would react? Or were you implying in the OP that anyone who disagrees with homosexual behavior is homophobic and scientifically backwards? I don't see how it's even a question if it's about fundamentalists. Of course they wouldn't agree that it's physical.

Personally, I have two basic thoughts on it:

1. I've yet to see any strong evidence for homosexuality being genetic. Much like everything else to do with someone's personality, there is such a thing as neuroplasticity and it's hard to understand how all of the development works. Culture certainly seems to have it's hand in the demographics we see as well, and I don't just mean repressive versus non-repressive.

2. Seems like there's a burning desire on either side of this issue to make a claim towards either genetics or behavioral sciences, and the confirmation bias frustrates me. Especially because it shouldn't make a difference to Christians in the first place.