Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 5:42 am

Is charisma the poisoned chalice of politics?

People often complain about that nature of successful politicians, but to me I think this is more reflection how we pick leaders. Then after we are like "oh I didn't realise it would turn out this way".

Charisma on it own isn't necessarily bad, but it so often associated with negative personality traits and even disorders.

Given two candidates with the same policies, the one who lacks charisma will often be berated for it.

Honest politicians have an impossible job to mange expectations. The expectations of voters aren't so realistic, let's be honest. Really, people not only what some manifesto in stone, they often overestimate the degree to which other people agree with them. This is the mindset that is ripe for this style of politics.

So much of campaigning is about destroying the creditability of the other candidates, and avoiding in-depth

The negative campaigning in recent year has stooped to ridiculous levels. but the electorate is complicit in this behaviour.

You can't complain about works. Lying convincingly works becuase many people wan to be told what they want to hear. Negative campaigning works becuase tribalism is an undercurrent in society.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 7:23 am

There has to be some neurological trick to it. For some illogical reason, many people equate charisma with integrity, wisdom and other good things.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Nov 2014, 7:33 am

It is what it is, I know people hate that saying but it can be good or bad. Being persuasive and being able to effectively communicate are great skills for a politician to have obviously, charisma has been utilized for the greatest good and the greatest evil.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 7:35 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Is charisma the poisoned chalice of politics?

Not according to the dictionary.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 7:58 am

Humanaut wrote:
Not according to the dictionary.

??? It is precisely the dictionary definition I'm talking about.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 10:38 am

The poisoned chalice of politics is not mentioned in my dictionary.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

Certain people are called charismatic but they just seem like empty people who are good at reading a teleprompter.

Yes it does seem to be the poisoned chalice of politics, that is very eloquent and true.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 1:46 pm

Politics in the US is moved by emotion more than fact so without Charisma there is no politician who truly AFFECTS those he may or does represent.

President Obama is extremely Charismatic and without that quality there is no way he could have be elected.

People are naturally attracted to folks with Charisma and those who are Charismatic OFTEN CAN inspire devotion and REACTION.

This is the kind of REACTION that gets folks out to the polls to vote and makes change happen.

Charisma can certainly be abused for selfish purposes but it can also be Charismatic Unconditional Love as well that MOVES people to POSITIVE GOALS.

THE FACT we have some kind of health care reform shows just how powerful CHARISMA is. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:20 am

I do not trust charisma. People are swayed by it more than by good reason. People with money can afford to hire a charismatic person to sell their agenda. People with charisma can convince people that the sky is green.

I trust passion more than charisma, but even that can be misguided.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.