South Thanet branch UKIP mistakes church for mosque

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 12:02 am

:D Priceless. Remind me, are these the same ignoramuses that think they are fit for power?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... -a-mosque/

Quote:
On Tuesday, the BBC's "Daily Politics" show attempted to address the controversy, by holding a straw poll in London and asking random members of the public if UKIP leader Nigel Farage had what it takes to be prime minister. It soon became an embarrassment for UKIP, but not for the reasons you might expect.

As you can see, the "no" vote wins. That's not that surprising: It's hardly a vigorous poll, and UKIP has struggled in London.

UKIP was apparently not pleased with the story. A Twitter account run by the party's South Thanet branch responded by asking why the poll had been held outside of "a mosque."

The problem was that this wasn't a mosque. It was, in fact, a cathedral. And not just any cathedral, but Westminster Cathedral, the most important Catholic cathedral in the entire country.

My deviant art profile

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 12:26 am

Separate that church and state, yo.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 12:43 am

Westminster Cathedral looks more like a mosque than a traditional cathedral. It even has a minaret.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Nov 2014, 5:00 am

Dillogic wrote:
Separate that church and state, yo.

This has nothing to do with the separation of church and state.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 12:37 pm

Easy mistake for the woman to make.

Nigel Farage is standing in this constituency.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 1:01 pm

thomas81 wrote:
...UKIP was apparently not pleased with the story. A Twitter account run by the party's South Thanet branch responded by asking why the poll had been held outside of "a mosque...."

I haven't read anything about this report, but, I wonder if mistaking a cathedral for a mosque wasn't (to some) a not-so-subtle insult to the pollster, or an attempt to color the resulting civic dialogue. Such cheap antics aren't unusual in U.K. politics and most are never revealed for what they are: propaganda, not delusion.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

Tequila wrote:
Easy mistake for the woman to make.

Nigel Farage is standing in this constituency.

for someone who is such a self proclaimed patriot they should have known the significance of the building.

This isn't a minor chapel, it is Westminster Cathedral, one of the most important buildings in British Christianity.

Even if that eludes you, then mosques are generally denoted by a spire with a crescent on it. This one has a bloody great cross on the tower.

Nice try though.

I suppose this particular UKIP member wouldnt have been abashed to be seen outside a church that resembles a synogogue since its Islam thats a 'brown peoples' religion.

My deviant art profile

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 10:12 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
This has nothing to do with the separation of church and state.

Just a jab at the politicizing of religion in the media.

It always makes me a little nervous when I see it.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 2:22 am

thomas81 wrote:
This one has a bloody great cross on the tower.

Too small. You need binoculars to see it.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 5:23 pm

So many public figures make gaffs via twitter. They never learn!

Boudewijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2014, 6:37 pm

It must be rare to see cathedrals in the Byzantine style in England, but still it's pretty embarrassing.