I hate religious people, why is that a problem?

Page 10 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:16 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Seriously though, you want to see both actual hatred for homosexuals, and misogyny as well, then move to Iran or Afghanistan or any other country which strictly follows Sharia law.

Heck, even Dawkins had this to say:

Richard Dawkins wrote:
There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline of Christianity, in so far as Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse.

Well no, Christians aren't killing people as much as the fanatical Muslims are now. That doesn't mean they never went through a period where fanatics were killing hundreds of innocent people, or that they never will again in the future.

That's probably just the cynic in me talking though.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 7:19 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
Mysty wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
I honestly don't really hate religions or religous people. Even though I poke fun at Christains for things like killing and torturing Pagens or anyone that didn't follow their beliefs, ruining the culture of the Native Americans and Africans and trying to wash their hands of it, and the fact that they still refuse to accept the fact that homosexuals are people too and that God didn't invent AIDS just to kill them all off. I still truely believe that everybody should have the right to believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

Religion with all its flaws, does do some good for people. It gives people a purpose and helps them to forget how meaningless life really is. Like all things in life, you just have to take religion with the good and the bad.

But what you say about "Christians" isn't true. That is, it's not "Christians" as a group, the whole of them, that did that. Certain groups within Christianity, and certain people within those groups. And most of what you say is things of the past. As for your claim about views of homosexuals, I won't say they're aren't any who feel that way, but, honestly, I wouldn't even accuse Fred Phelps of not accepting that homosexuals are people. Thinking someone's a sinner isn't the same as thinking they aren't a person. Plus, not all Christians think homosexuality is wrong.

Ah, good ol' technicality.

So what you're trying to say is that those people were Christians but not really Christians? I'm sure not all Christians agreed with it or still agree with it, but the majority did at the time and nothing can change the fact that they did some pretty horrible things to these "sinners". These people were just as "Christian" as the Christians of today, it's just that the ones of today haven't felt the need to slaughter and victimize hundreds of people just to prove their point lately.

As for your the subject homosexuality, the Bible makes it pretty clear that gays are icky and evil and that it was OK for God to roast an entire city of them. Even if Christains are starting to realize that there are worst things then homosexuals, that doesn't change the fact that their religion still says it's a no-no, and if you can ignore that rule you might as well ignore every other rule in the Bible.

Look, don't take what I'm saying too harsly. I don't hate Christians or any other orgaized religions. The majority of my family is still Christian and I still love them even if I don't agree with their beliefs. I'm just simply pointing out the facts. Religion has its ups and downs just like everything else in life. :wink:

Actually, it does not appear as though Mysty was arguing by definition, but rather regarding subsets. On the other hand, you are arguing by composition.

I think vaporizing a town which near entirely finds crime permissible, specifically one which gang-rapes any visitors to it, to be acceptable, but then again politically I am an Imperialist. :twisted:

Ah... well.... you got me there.

Still, I stand by opinion on the whole subject. Nothing will change that. :P

Correct, subsets.

Saying those things about Christians is like saying autistics have very low intelligence. It's true of some, so we can say it's true of autistics as a group, right? Doesn't matter if it's only true of a minority... it's still true. That is, it's as true as what you say about Christians.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 8:14 pm

Mysty wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
Mysty wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
I honestly don't really hate religions or religous people. Even though I poke fun at Christains for things like killing and torturing Pagens or anyone that didn't follow their beliefs, ruining the culture of the Native Americans and Africans and trying to wash their hands of it, and the fact that they still refuse to accept the fact that homosexuals are people too and that God didn't invent AIDS just to kill them all off. I still truely believe that everybody should have the right to believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

Religion with all its flaws, does do some good for people. It gives people a purpose and helps them to forget how meaningless life really is. Like all things in life, you just have to take religion with the good and the bad.

But what you say about "Christians" isn't true. That is, it's not "Christians" as a group, the whole of them, that did that. Certain groups within Christianity, and certain people within those groups. And most of what you say is things of the past. As for your claim about views of homosexuals, I won't say they're aren't any who feel that way, but, honestly, I wouldn't even accuse Fred Phelps of not accepting that homosexuals are people. Thinking someone's a sinner isn't the same as thinking they aren't a person. Plus, not all Christians think homosexuality is wrong.

So what you're trying to say is that those people were Christians but not really Christians? I'm sure not all Christians agreed with it or still agree with it, but the majority did at the time and nothing can change the fact that they did some pretty horrible things to these "sinners". These people were just as "Christian" as the Christians of today, it's just that the ones of today haven't felt the need to slaughter and victimize hundreds of people just to prove their point lately.

As for your the subject homosexuality, the Bible makes it pretty clear that gays are icky and evil and that it was OK for God to roast an entire city of them. Even if Christains are starting to realize that there are worst things then homosexuals, that doesn't change the fact that their religion still says it's a no-no, and if you can ignore that rule you might as well ignore every other rule in the Bible.

Look, don't take what I'm saying too harsly. I don't hate Christians or any other orgaized religions. The majority of my family is still Christian and I still love them even if I don't agree with their beliefs. I'm just simply pointing out the facts. Religion has its ups and downs just like everything else in life. :wink:

Actually, it does not appear as though Mysty was arguing by definition, but rather regarding subsets. On the other hand, you are arguing by composition.

I think vaporizing a town which near entirely finds crime permissible, specifically one which gang-rapes any visitors to it, to be acceptable, but then again politically I am an Imperialist. :twisted:

Correct, subsets.

Saying those things about Christians is like saying autistics have very low intelligence. It's true of some, so we can say it's true of autistics as a group, right? Doesn't matter if it's only true of a minority... it's still true. That is, it's as true as what you say about Christians.

Well at the risk of sounding like a complete as*hole, playing the Autism card on me isn't going to make me feel bad about what I said. Like I said many times, I don't hate Christians or any other religious group. I just simply point out the fact that they have done some pretty nasty things in the past. Now I know not every Christian is like that or agrees with it, just like not every Muslim wants to strap a bomb to their chest and blow up a school of children so they can have sex with lots of virgins. But you can't deny the fact that there are people in those religions who do it. =)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:52 am

GreySun369 wrote:
Mysty wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
Mysty wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:

Correct, subsets.

Well at the risk of sounding like a complete as*hole, playing the Autism card on me isn't going to make me feel bad about what I said. Like I said many times, I don't hate Christians or any other religious group. I just simply point out the fact that they have done some pretty nasty things in the past. Now I know not every Christian is like that or agrees with it, just like not every Muslim wants to strap a bomb to their chest and blow up a school of children so they can have sex with lots of virgins. But you can't deny the fact that there are people in those religions who do it. =)

In Christianity, at least most of the crimes done by leaders in the churches who profess to be Christians are primarily white collar crimes involving money. Of course there are the perverts who become priests in order to get close to children who also make a bad show, however even by the Catholic Church's attempt to "cover it up" they show they rather not be associated, and the reason why they cannot fire a priest is because they have an asinine doctrine allowing for waaaay too much job security (basically, that even if a priest sins in such a manner, their calling is still to be a priest. I prefer what Jesus said though, that it would be better for such people to have a millstone tied to their neck and toss them into the sea.) However, in the subset of Islam that encourages crime, they do not try to hide the crimes that they get other people to commit for them, but rather they glory in them. Heck, the term "shahid"/"martyr" is used to help convince recruits about how honorable their death is when they die killing "infidels". They don't try to even hide such things, but instead they basically brag about it. Of course, subset upon subset if you wish to say that in their defense.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 6:27 pm

No, christians don't blow up buildings as suicide bombers.

Instead they use carpet bombing of entire cities, while they sit back on their aircraft carriers and high in the sky in their jet planes. Frickin' cowards! I have more respect for the mosquito I just killed than for Islam, but I have a lot more respect for Islam than Christianity.

Anyone who assumes they can "know" something, and actually MEAN IT. not just use it as a euphemism for having sufficient knowledge about it to have a working understanding of it. And that is what religion IS... it is a scape goat to claim true knowledge which all science has proved to be impossible. And for those that will say I'm applying a double standard between science and religion... Well, when religion must subject itself to it's own standards the way that even the scientific method has to apply itself to itself, then I will stand down.

For the record, I hate religion, I hate religious acts, I hate religious concepts.
I do not hate religious people, though I do hate being around them when they take their idiocy and apply it outward in a way that affects me or others. That includes screwing up their kid's heads.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 7:54 pm

Exclavius wrote:

Instead they use carpet bombing of entire cities, while they sit back on their aircraft carriers and high in the sky in their jet planes. Frickin' cowards!

Wow, and you atheists call us Christians "ignorant". Perhaps it's just you though. Mind giving me the contact info for the Christian Air Force or the Christian Navy or the Christian Armed Forces, which recruits nobody except "cowardly" Christians who seek to "cowardly" hit precise targets at "cowardly" long ranges with "cowardly" extreme accuracy? I wouldn't mind signing up as a sniper and "cowardly" taking out some of these "brave" warriors who kill indiscriminately with their "brave" use of "brave" explosives at "brave" close range.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:26 pm

Exclavius wrote:

Instead they use carpet bombing of entire cities, while they sit back on their aircraft carriers and high in the sky in their jet planes. Frickin' cowards! I have more respect for the mosquito I just killed than for Islam, but I have a lot more respect for Islam than Christianity.

The U.S. armed forces consists of Americans (mostly) not Christians, as such. If American members of the armed forces happen to be Christian that is happenstance. Many member of the Armed forces are not Christian. One is not selected or allowed to be a member of the armed forces on the basis of one's religion.

ruveyn

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:36 pm

GWB called the war, and if you for a moment think that his religion (Christianity) didn't play a major role, you're an imbecile.

And, it was the United States of Christiandom electorate that elected him. (well, the elected thing is a bit in question, but still)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:45 pm

Exclavius wrote:
GWB called the war, and if you for a moment think that his religion (Christianity) didn't play a major role, you're an imbecile.

And, it was the United States of Christiandom electorate that elected him. (well, the elected thing is a bit in question, but still)

Even granting you the benefit of the doubt, this is about one of the best examples of the fallacy of composition ever.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:16 pm

Exclavius wrote:

The U.S. is legally a secular nation, not a Christian nation. There is no United States of Chritsendom. There is, however, a United States of America.

The legal system of the U.S. is largely based on English Common Law which is not religious law at all.

ruveyn

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:21 pm

.... In theory

But in practice....

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:24 pm

Exclavius wrote:
.... In theory

But in practice....

There exist strong degrees of confirmation bias.

mrmasticater
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2015, 9:55 am

Here is my question, thinkcof someone you dislike, why do you dislike them? Is it their actions?, their thoughts? Their beliefs? Why is it okay to dislike someone based on those except when its religion? If a person believes that homosexuality is wrong then I will dislike that person, so why is it when Muslims and Christians say its wrong I can dislike them for it because it's their beliefs?

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2017, 3:55 pm

I don't have a problem with someone else hating religious people. For the record, I despise and abhor the majority of them. To me, a person's beliefs say a lot about themselves. Hating them is not bigotry, it's called freedom of association. Why should I respect someone who WILLINGLY and KNOWINGLY follows some absurd religion? It's fantasy and mental illness if you ask me. Should I respect a religion that has its members drink blood? Or commands them to harm a non-believer? There's good reason why religious people get a lot of crap thrown back at them. I'm sorry but I have to take the OP's side for the most part.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2017, 4:13 pm

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:21 pm

I might hate the religious belief----but I might love the person.

It's happened to me LOL