Favourite strange/ridiculous religious beliefs

Page 3 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:49 am

sinsboldly wrote:
And lobbing insults at ANYONE will get you banned.

apparently, so will having an opinion of someone...

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:53 am

^:?: Ruh-roh...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:53 am

slowmutant wrote:
z0rp wrote:
mm, the belief that God is both the father and son of a certain woman sounds quite ridiculous to me.

Give it time. It grows on you. :wink:

Which is evidence like many religions including Judeoism and Islam that it was probably based upon the perception of men and how they viewed the way women were suppose to be.

If Jesus did exist...it would probably bring no true evidence even it there was one. This is probably why religion has always been at war with religions given the moralities of what society imposes as immoral.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 11:16 am

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Mormon underwear?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 11:59 am

carturo222 wrote:

They are unmentionables.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:14 pm

carturo222 wrote:

Too easy.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 3:53 pm

slowmutant wrote:
carturo222 wrote:

Too easy.

I'll put my hand up to being ignorant of this issue. I could google it but that would negate the purpose of this thread

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 4:05 pm

Strange/ridiculous religious beliefs...

- Belief in an immaterial realm that is populated by immaterial beings ("Spirits"), complete with heirarchy, bureaucracy, and geography.

- Belief in a being so powereful that he/she/it could speak the universe into existance, but yet be powerless to affect the life of those who don't believe.

- A book is considered the complete and inerrant word of an infallible god, yet it can't get even the most elementary principles of geometry correct.

And this last one is not a religious belief, per se, but it seems to address religion in general:

- Any parody of religion is indistinguishable from religion itself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 4:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
- A book is considered the complete and inerrant word of an infallible god, yet it can't get even the most elementary principles of geometry correct.

And this last one is not a religious belief, per se, but it seems to address religion in general:

pi = 3. oops! flat earth oops!

Scientology was a stunt by L. Ron Hubbard that actually caught on. Suppose Christianity was the same kind of thing. Who knows?

Abraham made up a unitary diety 3000 years ago and the world is still talking about it.

ruveynb

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 10:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Fnord wrote:

pi = 3. oops! flat earth oops!

Scientology was a stunt by L. Ron Hubbard that actually caught on. Suppose Christianity was the same kind of thing. Who knows?

Abraham made up a unitary diety 3000 years ago and the world is still talking about it.

ruveynb

As much as I find religion idiotic and malevolent (I seem to have acquired a prime reputation of being outstandingly atheist) I would venture that Abraham most likely acted out of ignorance and a genuine but totally misdirected attempt to confront the huge unknowns of his era to form a recognizable pattern. L.Ron Hubbard was a scam artist with a rather nasty sense of humor and a total contempt for humanity which was, to a good degree, justified by the success of his organization. Gullibility, fear and ignorance are the basic components of religion and Hubbard was right on the mark in manipulating them to produce his gigantic fraud.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 4:22 am

Sand wrote:
carturo222 wrote:

They are unmentionables.

:lmao:

I guess we won't go into the Undie World. . .

Merle

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 7:20 am

Of course then there is Noahs Ark

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 11:24 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Of course then there is Noahs Ark

This tale is lifted bodily from the Babylonian Gilgamesh mythology. I have often wondered what would have happened if Noah met up with Galgamesh on the high seas. The flood theme has popped up in several and sundry cultures. Could it be a Jungian Archetype for the birth trauma and amniotic fluid?

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 3:11 am

No one's gone after Islam yet, so allow me.

According to Islam...

-Jesus was a Muslim.

-Moses was a Muslim.

-Jesus was never crucified (despite historical records to the contrary, in fact Allah was just playing tricks)

-It is absolutely, entirely forbidden to pray to idols... but five times a day (at least) you must pray while facing in the direction of a black stone that was worshiped as an idol by pre-Islamic Bedouin tribes.

-Islam is the most peaceful religion on Earth.

-Islam promotes women's rights more effectively than does any other faith.

-A book for which there is almost no paper trail whatsoever is infallible because Mohammed's followers memorized what he said and repeated it to the next generation, but manuscripts from almost the time of their authors with extensive textual background to support them have obviously been corrupted, most likely by some massive conspiracy involving Paul.

-Polygamy is good.

-Giving a loan to someone to buy a house is immoral. Instead, you should let them pay in "installments" and insist that they pay the entire cost of the house before they own it, and in the meantime they will pay you rent.

-----------------------------

I could go on, but I think I've said enough for now.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 3:25 am

Orwell wrote:

I could go on, but I think I've said enough for now.

Enough said : A fatwa on you infidel 8O :lol:

With regard to womens rights some forms of Christianity are equally as bad (I am talking general Islam here not the beheading nutjobs)

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 6:28 am

Orwell wrote:
No one's gone after Islam yet, so allow me.

According to Islam...

-Jesus was a Muslim.

-Moses was a Muslim.

8O but there was no such thing as Islam back then...

Quote:
-Polygamy is good.

it is for some :p

Quote:
-Giving a loan to someone to buy a house is immoral. Instead, you should let them pay in "installments" and insist that they pay the entire cost of the house before they own it, and in the meantime they will pay you rent.

I'm pretty sure that the Catholic church had the same view on loans at least till XVIIIth century. that's why the Jews were so hated in Europe- they were seen as sinners because they gave loans, while Christians would face being excommunicated if they did.