Favourite strange/ridiculous religious beliefs

Page 2 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 12:32 pm

anna-banana wrote:
immaculate conception always seemed quite ridiculous to me.

With current technology that can be possible nowadays.

From Christianity, immaculate conception would mean two things I believe, that he, his spirit, came from God instead of man and the woman was the means for a deity to become flesh, a mortal human. Two: Virginity, Mary being a virgin, a symbol of purity. The christian immaculate conception seems to parallel with other religions, such as the godesses Anahita and Isis, which is something interesting relating to the discussion of the origin of the dogma.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 12:47 pm

greenblue wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
immaculate conception always seemed quite ridiculous to me.

With current technology that can be possible nowadays.

From Christianity, immaculate conception would mean two things I believe, that he, his spirit, came from God instead of man and the woman was the means for a deity to become flesh, a mortal human. Two: Virginity, Mary being a virgin, a symbol of purity. The christian immaculate conception seems to parallel with other religions, such as the godesses Anahita and Isis, which is something interesting relating to the discussion of the origin of the dogma.

The production of a male from a female requires a male chromosome. Female water fleas give birth to only females if they are not impregnated by a male. So you cannot avoid a miracle in producing a male from an unimpregnated female unless either God or some other fascinating fellow had his way with Mary. Which leads to the interesting possibility that Christ was actually a female.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 1:06 pm

Sand wrote:
The production of a male from a female requires a male chromosome. Female water fleas give birth to only females if they are not impregnated by a male. So you cannot avoid a miracle in producing a male from an unimpregnated female unless either God or some other fascinating fellow had his way with Mary. Which leads to the interesting possibility that Christ was actually a female.

Yes, that's true, but given that the christian immaculate conception already violates known laws of physics and biology, as a supernatural event, the issue about his sex wouldn't do much difference, given how the conception takes place.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 1:15 pm

It's fairly clear to me that the "Virgin" Mary had an affair, got pregnant, and concocted this larger-than-life excuse about immaculate conception and the Son Of God. Flame me if you will, that's how I see it.

y es como un semestre"

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 1:38 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
It's fairly clear to me that the "Virgin" Mary had an affair, got pregnant, and concocted this larger-than-life excuse about immaculate conception and the Son Of God. Flame me if you will, that's how I see it.

You're operating on the assumption that people are looking for a realistic rational explanation. It's like telling the people who gave their money to Bernie Madoff that he couldn't possibly be making all that money and they were not going to get incredibly wealthy. If you try to convince Christians that the virgin birth is a fraud they might have to give up the idea that they could live forever in heaven after they die. Why would they want to give that up? They won't.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

18 Feb 2009, 4:19 pm

slowmutant wrote:
How does a foreskin survive all of that time without decomposing?

Formaldehyde?

AAKills
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2009, 4:27 pm

you guys should attend aa. they have zany beliefs. they're almost as bad as the scientologists. but both are cults and smear non-believers at any chance they get

To be "in recovery" is to be feeding at the trough of A.A. But the answer is already in you. You are not powerless. Filling up on A.A. will make you sick, not sane, and it will keep you coming back for the rest of your life...like an addiction.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 5:23 pm

Sand wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Jesus Christ was not a mutated water-flea.

:roll:

Jesus was at least half primate (on his mother's side).

ruveyn

Jesus was Jewish. :D

So he was a Jewish water flea. Obviously not a Christian water flea.

Don't be ridiculous. :roll:

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 7:12 pm

slowmutant wrote:
history_of_psychiatry wrote:
I never could get into Judaism. I guess it's because I can't take a religion seriously which believes it's bad to eat pork but good to mutilate an infant's penis!

Good point! I never thoght of it that way.

You know what else I can't take seriously? The Hassidic men with those goofy dangling sideburns and the that whole let's-all-dress-exactly-alike thing?

Dude, seriously. :lol:

Exactly. Finally you and me see eye to eye.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 7:26 pm

AAKills wrote:
you guys should attend aa. they have zany beliefs. they're almost as bad as the scientologists. but both are cults and smear non-believers at any chance they get

You're comparing AA to Scientology? :roll:

And who are the "non-believers" of AlcoholicsAnonymous? What is it that they do not believe? Describe to me the cult of AA. Who is their leader? What are their beliefs? What is their goal?

You need to substantiate this claim of yours.

Extradinary claims, extradionary proof. And lobbing insults at me does not count as "proof."

GO! :batman:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 9:54 pm

And lobbing insults at ANYONE will get you banned.

Merle

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 10:17 pm

Equating a ministry like AA with Scientology is an insult to AA.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 10:34 pm

This is probably the "insults" that sinsboldly is referring to:

slowmutant wrote:
I never could get into Judaism. I guess it's because I can't take a religion seriously which believes it's bad to eat pork but good to mutilate an infant's penis!

Good point! I never thoght of it that way.

You know what else I can't take seriously? The Hassidic men with those goofy dangling sideburns and the that whole let's-all-dress-exactly-alike thing?

Dude, seriously. :lol:

Exactly. Finally you and me see eye to eye.

As for circumcision, see: http://www.apologia.com/circumcision.html
BTW, I'm uncircumcised, but will undergo it for my future wife.

As for pork: trichinosis and flatworms....
which are still possible if the meat is handled improperly.
Well, flatworms are more common in Mexico due to
improper waste in the pig's diet more or less. Cysts from human defecation cycled.

The Hassidim have their own extra-Biblical traditions, but it isn't good to sport at cultures.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 11:32 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Sand wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Jesus Christ was not a mutated water-flea.

:roll:

Jesus was at least half primate (on his mother's side).

ruveyn

Jesus was Jewish. :D

So he was a Jewish water flea. Obviously not a Christian water flea.

Don't be ridiculous. :roll:

Sorry. Of course. Let's not be ridiculous. Let's assume what is accepted. That a superbeing that created a universe so large that the whole Earth is, for all practical purposes, an improbable flake of dust lost in the whole immensity and this all powerful being deeply concerned itself with a bunch of advanced vicious monkeys existing on this dust mote to the point of violating basic biological laws. Makes much more sense.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:07 am

The dogma of immaculate conception does not refer to the conception of Jesus, but of Mary. According to Catholic doctrine, Mary's soul was created free of sin so that Jesus would not inherit a sinful nature from his human half.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:49 am

sinsboldly wrote:
And lobbing insults at ANYONE will get you banned.

apparently, so will having an opinion of someone...