Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Berrylicious
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm

There has been a lot of crazy stuff going on, especially about what's going on in the entertainment world. The most talked about celebrity is Jian Ghomeshi. I don't know if you heard of him, neither have I, he was a host of his show Q at CBC. I heard and watched CBC both on tv and radio but not his show. He looked like a nice guy but he did something awful. He beat the women he dated as he claimed it was consensual. Another celebrity is Bill Cosby, I never watched his show but I never knew he had done something terrible.

How can so called good people do bad things? Well this is not new. In fact there has always been people with a lot of fame and fortune who go out their way to abuse their power, in terms of treating others who have less power with comtempt or take advantage of them because they don't know what they're up to. What happens often is celebrities or other figures are perceived as nice, good looking and charming but when you discover their personality and character they're not what people think of them and they turn out to be arrogant, obnoxious, cold hearted, and at times hypocritical. They are in control of their image and present themselves to the world as though they are idols to bow down to. We are led to believe that celebrities can't commit crimes and can do good for the world and that's why we admire them, besides we don't admit that celebrities can do bad things, not just ordinary people. Whenever there's stories of allegations of a crime that a celebrity commits, there's always going to be a mixed reaction. Either there's going to be support for the celebrity and blaming the victims or there's going to be a backlash at the celebrity and support the victims. Why are we so quick to defend celebrities? Take it this way. If we were abused by a dictator in a different country, would we support him? Instead there's going to be condemnation. By the way I said him because all dictators have been men and don't get me wrong, not all men screw the world. It's politicians who screw things up all the time. Men and women can run the world but it's shocking and disgraceful to live in a patriarchal world. Patriarchy is a poison to humanity.

I have come to the conclusion that people are not what they are when it comes to their image, looks can be deceiving. As for celebrities, no matter how much I admire their talent, charisma and art, I won't support them if they did something bad. Right away I boycott them. I don't care if I'm a fan of their art. I just don't like celebrities nowadays.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 9:38 pm

Celebrities are not expected to be angels. Judging from gossip magazines it's almost expected they play up (as part of their contractual obligations).

I'm more concerned with politicians. If you scratch the surface many have skeletons in their closet and probably should not be leading our countries.

Here in Australia our opposition leader Bill Shorten is alleged to have raped a girl when he was labor leader. He now champions causes including women's rights. Our prime minister Tony Abbott intimidated and assaulted a female student leader because she defeated him in a student election. He's a misogynist who initially did not want any women in his front cabinet despite having three daughters. Our foreign minister Julie Bishop used to provide legal representation to a mining company against former workers with terminal cancer. She basically called them liars and gold-diggers when they were on their death bed. The workers all died without any compensation for the families thanks to this "wonderful woman". Our treasurer Joe Hockey believes poorer folk don't need cars to get to work because they are.....poor. Hockey is the son of poor immigrants seems to have forgotten his own humble upbringing. Finally our education minister Christopher Pine believes that university students should pay for their education entirely out of their own pockets. This despite him being a student union leader in his younger days famously photographed protesting against higher education fees.

Such people are a disgrace and should not be leading our country. There is nothing we can do :(

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2014, 3:53 am

No person is a complete saint.Everyone, sometime in their life, screws up. If the women accusing Cosby had all spoken up at the time of the incident I could be 100% with them, but all of these kinds of cases where people wait 10-20-30-40 years to speak up make me skeptical. I don't doubt the possibility of these things happening, but why wait? None of them are well know, so it's not like they stayed silent in trade for success. Can he have paid so many victims off for so long? Or intimidated them for so long? It just kinds pisses me off that people continuously do these things. I am not a female but I have experienced some sexual abuse at about age 12 NOS but it has never crossed my mind to do after someone over 40 years after the incidents. At no time in my life have I contemplated retribution for these things. There have been other things in my life, decade ago, that sometimes I plot eventual vengeance, but nothing related to sex. The experience, I guess, must be more traumatic for females.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:51 pm

Recently a formerly-famous former model suddenly 'remembered' that she was raped years ago by Dr. Cosby.

I just cannot take this seriously.

She was known, back in her heyday as temperamental, self-centered, and was always in a spat or fight with someone, including her then-boyfriend, a very well-known actor who now has a stable, happy life since getting away from her.

Janice Dickinson had also jumped on the victim bandwagon, and I would not believe that woman if she said the sky is blue.

One of his accusers has been proven to have a history of false rape accusations.

Looks like the witch hunt is starting to crumble.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 12:19 am

Hollywood is evil. End of story.