Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 9:46 pm

I just want to take this opportunity to come out against the uncalled for violence that happened a few days ago in Ferguson. There was no need for the nameless attacker to shoot those police officers.

First let me say this though, I am 100% sympathetic to the aims of the protesters in Ferguson. I am black. I grew up in the rural South where there is still a system of racial oppression by police officers (not in all jurisdictions, but in many). This is a hold over from the Jim Crow days. I am sympathetic to any social group who has historically been oppressed by the government whether state, local, or the U.S. Federal government.

I am not a believer in opportunism for people who want to use injustice as a justification for violence. I am glad that the corrupt city government of Ferguson is being dismantled. I hope that the right actions are taken here and that they can be used in other jurisdictions where racial discrimination is used by cops. I am highly skeptical that the right actions will be taken, however, considering how the release of the DOJ report was handled. They should have prepared for possible violent backlash from protesters. I will be glad when Eric Holder is gone as the Attorney General.

I am concerned about the way that the media is handling the killing of unarmed black men by white police officers. I am glad the issue is gaining national attention. It is nothing new, but this is the first time I have seen a national uproar about it. At the same time, I think they are being opportunistic, trying to foment unrest to gain ratings. I don't trust the analysis of mainstream U.S. media. I think it is biased toward sensationalism, focusing on gaining a reaction instead of getting at the truth. As Sweetleaf has pointed out, it isn't just black men who are being killed. A white female was killed by the police near where she lives, so the question isn't so much racism as it is unchecked power by police officers. We need a system where police officers are held accountable if they kill someone.

Anyway, I am surprised no one else has posted anything about this. What are your thoughts on these recent developments?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 1:05 am

I'm a white guy, and I won't shed a tear when and if the current Ferguson city government goes the way of the dinosaurs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 6:36 am

Richard Valdmanis wrote:
FERGUSON, Missouri (Reuters) - A 20-year-old man was charged on Sunday with first-degree assault in last week's shooting of two policemen during a protest rally in Ferguson, Missouri, a crime that shocked a city that has been devastated by months of racial strife.

The suspect, Jeffrey Williams, has admitted to firing the shots that wounded the officers early on Thursday, said St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch.
Punks like him are the reason that Ferguson has the government that it deserves.

LINK: Suspect charged in shooting of police officers in Ferguson, Missouri

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 4:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
Richard Valdmanis wrote:
FERGUSON, Missouri (Reuters) - A 20-year-old man was charged on Sunday with first-degree assault in last week's shooting of two policemen during a protest rally in Ferguson, Missouri, a crime that shocked a city that has been devastated by months of racial strife.

The suspect, Jeffrey Williams, has admitted to firing the shots that wounded the officers early on Thursday, said St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch.
Punks like him are the reason that Ferguson has the government that it deserves.

LINK: Suspect charged in shooting of police officers in Ferguson, Missouri

So, if there is a criminal in my community, I and all law abiding citizens should suffer oppression by the local government??? How exactly should this work. Should I lose my rights because someone committed a crime in my community???

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

pcuser wrote:
So, if there is a criminal in my community, I and all law abiding citizens should suffer oppression by the local government??? How exactly should this work. Should I lose my rights because someone committed a crime in my community???

What do you mean by this comment?

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 11:30 am

em_tsuj wrote:
pcuser wrote:

What do you mean by this comment?

Fnord wrote:Punks like him are the reason that Ferguson has the government that it deserves. So, if there is a punk like him in my neighborhood, should I suffer no civil rights because of them?

Bentastic197
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2015, 6:51 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
I just want to take this opportunity to come out against the uncalled for violence that happened a few days ago in Ferguson. There was no need for the nameless attacker to shoot those police officers.

First let me say this though, I am 100% sympathetic to the aims of the protesters in Ferguson. I am black. I grew up in the rural South where there is still a system of racial oppression by police officers (not in all jurisdictions, but in many). This is a hold over from the Jim Crow days. I am sympathetic to any social group who has historically been oppressed by the government whether state, local, or the U.S. Federal government.

I am not a believer in opportunism for people who want to use injustice as a justification for violence. I am glad that the corrupt city government of Ferguson is being dismantled. I hope that the right actions are taken here and that they can be used in other jurisdictions where racial discrimination is used by cops. I am highly skeptical that the right actions will be taken, however, considering how the release of the DOJ report was handled. They should have prepared for possible violent backlash from protesters. I will be glad when Eric Holder is gone as the Attorney General.

I am concerned about the way that the media is handling the killing of unarmed black men by white police officers. I am glad the issue is gaining national attention. It is nothing new, but this is the first time I have seen a national uproar about it. At the same time, I think they are being opportunistic, trying to foment unrest to gain ratings. I don't trust the analysis of mainstream U.S. media. I think it is biased toward sensationalism, focusing on gaining a reaction instead of getting at the truth. As Sweetleaf has pointed out, it isn't just black men who are being killed. A white female was killed by the police near where she lives, so the question isn't so much racism as it is unchecked power by police officers. We need a system where police officers are held accountable if they kill someone.

Anyway, I am surprised no one else has posted anything about this. What are your thoughts on these recent developments?

I agree with what you said and I'm a caucasian person. I full heartly agree about what you said about the media using events like this to get good ratings. Here's my reasoning, a black man shoots and kills another black man nobody bats an eye. However, if a white guy shoots and kill a black guy it gains national attention. The media only cares about damn ratings. I am also against police brutality and they should be penalized for crimes they commit too.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 3:03 am

Bentastic197 wrote:
...a black man shoots and kills another black man nobody bats an eye. However, if a white guy shoots and kill a black guy it gains national attention.

And nobody gives a damn when black cops are killed.

Bentastic197
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Bentastic197 wrote:
...a black man shoots and kills another black man nobody bats an eye. However, if a white guy shoots and kill a black guy it gains national attention.

And nobody gives a damn when black cops are killed.

Exactly and that annoys the heck out of me