Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 10:01 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/22/us/california-oil-spill/

http://gizmodo.com/santa-barbara-still-reeling-from-the-worst-oil-spill-in-1706608177

damn it. this is where i live, sort of. pipeline belonging to texan-owned plains all american burst earlier this month, as of now it extends around nine miles down to the coast, with a stanch of gasoline. i admit i don't know how these spills are typically dealt with, if it's not quick it will be interesting to see how our tourism is affected this summer, if it is.

"again" because this reminds us of the more devastaing 1969 spill...the one that inspired earth day.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 1:05 am

Expect oil to be banned in California or something like that because of a bunch of pissed off hippies (more for the rest of us).
I find it funny how the 2010 Gulf spill started on Earth Day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 12:10 am

how can the oil company powers that be, be so cavalier about their #1 resource? that sounds like daft madness to me. :scratch:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 9:21 pm

there were protests of course, doubtlessly there might be more. the only pipeline not not have an automatic shutoff valve, too.

poor sealife. we had to ship some seals to san diego's seaworld recently because they're the only ones with the facilities to clean oiled mammals.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm

in fact, AFAIC the oil company's behavior here goes beyond daft, beyond madness, all the way over to evil. :x