California couple arrested for abusing seven adopted kids...

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 11:22 am

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/17/justice/c ... index.html
Stuff like this is the reason I hate adoption.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 11:44 am

Because birth parents don't abuse their kids... no, never.

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2012, 12:37 pm

FalsettoTesla wrote:
Because birth parents don't abuse their kids... no, never.

Precisely. Both my sister and I were adopted and I thank my lucky stars for it every day. If I hadn't been adopted I likely wouldn't have had the support that I had as a child (with unknown aspergers) and probably would have killed myself a long time ago. Saying that one hates adoption because of one incident like this in the news is the equivalent to saying that one hates birds because one pooped on the head of someone that they don't even know.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:09 am

I didn't say this singular incident is the cause of my adoption-phobia. There's actually a truckload wrong with the legalized kidnapping and sequestering of newborn human beings, the legalized lying, and the institutionalized abuse going on behind suburban doors in the guise of "doing a social good."

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:32 am

Family members adopted me and it was a good thing.They were elderly and both passed before I was of legal age and long story short I wound up in various group homes and foster parents.Some of these people saw us as an asset to get money from the state.I did eventually get really awesome foster parents who became my legal guardians but they were a rarity.Lots of abuse on unwanted kids,mental and physical.Then they grow up and get diagnosed with RAD and then the cycle continues.Those poor children,the only thing they did wrong was being born in this F.U.world.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
I didn't say this singular incident is the cause of my adoption-phobia. There's actually a truckload wrong with the legalized kidnapping and sequestering of newborn human beings, the legalized lying, and the institutionalized abuse going on behind suburban doors in the guise of "doing a social good."

Right. They should leave all kids with their abusive parents, or their underaged parents.

The reason to adopt is BECAUSE you know there's a chance they would be abused, not in spite of it.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:10 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
The reason to adopt is BECAUSE you know there's a chance they would be abused, not in spite of it.

Or for tax deductibles. Or because God (read: mental illness) spoke to you. Or because you're f*****g sick.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 6:12 pm

Goes to show how screwed up the adoption process is, quite frankly it looks like Child Protective Services wasn't doing their job at best. Heck it's entirely possible they paid someone off in CPS to get the kids.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:01 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:

No, the reason to adopt is because you want kids. No other reason. You're doing the kid a disservice if you do it for any other reaon. I'm not against adoption. But I am against the perception (which mostly comes from people who are not themselves adopted) that adoptive parents are saints rescuing the poor children. This creates an unhealthy parent-child dynamic.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 10:38 pm

mds_02 wrote:
LennytheWicked wrote:

No, the reason to adopt is because you want kids. No other reason. You're doing the kid a disservice if you do it for any other reaon. I'm not against adoption. But I am against the perception (which mostly comes from people who are not themselves adopted) that adoptive parents are saints rescuing the poor children. This creates an unhealthy parent-child dynamic.

Seconded. If you want to be a saint, become a martyr and wait a couple hundred years. If you want to be a parent, raise kids.

These f**ktards, unfortunately, are neither.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 4:22 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Goes to show how screwed up the adoption process is, quite frankly it looks like Child Protective Services wasn't doing their job at best. Heck it's entirely possible they paid someone off in CPS to get the kids.

Don't get me started on those bastards. They never seem too crack down on real abusers till it's too late, but put good parents through the ringer for hearsay or trivial reasons. Don't ask me how I know.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:32 am

Inuyasha wrote:

It re-enforced the reason for not putting too much faith in any government entity in general to do what they're supposed to do.
CPS itself is notorious for leaving kids in an honestly bad environment and removing others from a good environment almost on a whim.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 5:22 pm

Why don't we just ban adoption altogether?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 6:40 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:

Because forcing people to raise children that they know they can't deal with is a fantastic idea.
And contraception is infallible, and sterilisation is free. I can see you've really thought this through.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 7:00 am

Giftorcurse wrote:

If that had happened the baby I gave birth to would have been condemned to a lifetime of abuse and neglect and living in poverty with a mother that never wanted him and couldn't take care of him.

I'm glad I had that option otherwise I don't know what would have happened.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 7:03 am

Giftorcurse wrote:

Not sure how it is "legalized kidnapping". I made my own choice and an agency came to see me and let me pick out a couple from a book with pictures and profiles of prospective adoptive parents. There was no way I was keeping it. I don't like or want kids. I would have had an abortion but I was young and scared and by the time I saw a doctor it was too late.