Message To Parents Getting Louder: No Screaming Babies Allowed

Any thoughts?

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:13 pm

how about a "crying baby" section, like with smokers...

preferably down the block...

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:29 pm

oscuria wrote:
how about a "crying baby" section, like with smokers...

preferably down the block...

Yeah, I perfectly agree. It gets especially annoying because Ive had meltdowns triggered at very inopportune times because of loud/crying children.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 5:47 pm

Quote:
"In the latest burst of anti-kids-in-public news, a North Carolina restaurant is making headlines with signage that does not quibble. “Screaming Children Will NOT Be Tolerated!” read signs at the the Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach, N.C. And while some parents have expressed concern that they are singling out disabled kids, most patrons have responded well."

I find this sentence rather ironic because most kids who scream and cry in restaraunts are normal and neurotypical children.

I cant help but chuckle at this news story because The Simpsons actually did an episode on this similar issue. :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 6:22 pm

It's about time. Lazy parents not doing their jobs.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 6:46 pm

I think that if a screaming child is not thrown out of the restaurant everyone inside should have at least $10 taken off of their bill. :)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 7:59 pm

conundrum wrote:

I saw this on a misleading new story. The mother of an autistic child got into an argument with the restaurant owner over this sign and the story was trying to present the situation as the restaurant discriminating against autistic kids, which was total BS as the sign does not say "autistic kids" it just says "screaming kids".

I believe in making reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Screaming continuously and disrupting the peace of others is not something that is reasonable to accommodate.

Most people with Tourette's Syndrome would even agree with this.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 8:11 pm

League_Girl wrote:
It's about time. Lazy parents not doing their jobs.

Lazy, irresponsible, inept, incapable or whatever else, yes, you got it! It is the parents who need to be ushered to the door, not the children who will already be going along anyway.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:09 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Quote:
"In the latest burst of anti-kids-in-public news, a North Carolina restaurant is making headlines with signage that does not quibble. “Screaming Children Will NOT Be Tolerated!” read signs at the the Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach, N.C. And while some parents have expressed concern that they are singling out disabled kids, most patrons have responded well."

I find this sentence rather ironic because most kids who scream and cry in restaraunts are normal and neurotypical children.

Good point! When I was a child I NEVER acted up in restaurants--as long as no one forced me to eat anything. :roll:

raisedbyignorance wrote:
I cant help but chuckle at this news story because The Simpsons actually did an episode on this similar issue. :P

Do you remember which episode (or season)? I'd like to find that one.

so that the people say,

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:59 pm

conundrum wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:
Quote:

Good point! When I was a child I NEVER acted up in restaurants--as long as no one forced me to eat anything. :roll:

raisedbyignorance wrote:

The episode is called ""Marge vs. Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples and Teens, and Gays" (or SSCCTG). It's a season 15 episode which means it wont be on DVD for quite a while. :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 10:35 pm

Chronos wrote:
conundrum wrote:

I saw this on a misleading new story. The mother of an autistic child got into an argument with the restaurant owner over this sign and the story was trying to present the situation as the restaurant discriminating against autistic kids, which was total BS as the sign does not say "autistic kids" it just says "screaming kids".

I believe in making reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Screaming continuously and disrupting the peace of others is not something that is reasonable to accommodate.

Most people with Tourette's Syndrome would even agree with this.

I think some people like to throw in disabilities.

When people talk about stuff, they usually mean normal people, not special needs or people with health problems. I do get irritated when I talk and people mention special needs kids when I was talking about normal kids. Like when I see people saying people are so stupid they don't even know they are making rude comments or insulting someone, they are too stupid to know they are being insulted back. I could take offense to that since us aspies would be prone to doing those things and not picking up that we are being insulted but they are talking about normal people not aspies. I doubt they are thinking about autistic people when they say that. So no offense taken to that.

But I can see why the mother took the sign so personally, her son is a screaming child due to his autism so she felt her son was unwelcome there. She couldn't teach him to not scream? I sure know Temple Grandin wouldn't have been allowed to do that as a child because her mother expected her to show respect and have good manners and taught her well. Heck even Temple would probably agree to that new policy the restuarant has and say "autism is no excuse for disruptive behavior."

If the kid did scream due to sensory issues, why take him to a place that triggers them? Why not just remove him from the situation when he starts to scream? The kid is still welcome there if he isn't screaming. The mother just took it way out of context. Like I say, people love to throw in disabilities. I think I am guilty of doing that in the past because I took things so personally. I am afraid I did that on another forum when someone suggested a new rule, use proper English and I said that would effect people whose English isn't their primary language and people with learning disabilities so they might feel they aren't welcome there. Well people there do call learning disabled people trolls due to their poor spelling. They are so intolorant of disabilities even though they know I have AS and there are other disabled people there and they all get respect. Even me. That's because we spell well and one of them uses a program to help with his spelling and grammar.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Sep 2010, 12:01 am

I'm fine with it. Kids can still be in there but if they're screaming or crying their parents have to take them out of the restaurant until they're back under control.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 2:15 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
conundrum wrote:

The episode is called ""Marge vs. Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples and Teens, and Gays" (or SSCCTG). It's a season 15 episode which means it wont be on DVD for quite a while. :P

Thanks! :D

so that the people say,

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 2:36 am

I think it's a good idea that needed to be done a LONG time ago. I tottaly despise children and their noise. I'd vote for a law or bill like this to be passed.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 3:34 am

It's about damn time.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 3:42 am

Asp-Z wrote:
It's about damn time.

Ditto!