Whitney Houston died and I DON'T CARE!

Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Aitrean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2012, 10:25 am

To be honest, I absolutely don't care that Whitney Houston died. She lived a famous, rich life, and died (probably) because she wanted to experiment with alcohol. If anybody else died that way people would be saying "wow, they were so absolutely stupid", but because she can sing, it's OK. How many of you knew her personally? I would assume not one. So one human being whom you never knew has died and it's very sad. Yet, we have had troops dying overseas, people dying all the time in third-world countries, children and young adults losing their lives to cancer.... and do most people even remember the name of the last soldier killed? Do people keep tabs on young children with cancer the same way they do celebrities? If everyone mourned as much for every third-world innocent child killed from lack of food or healthcare then we would be crying all the time. We live in a very sick and twisted society, where all it takes is mediocre talent and a lot of paparazzi to be known as a world icon. People were shocked when Kim Jong Il died and every North Korean was balling their eyes out, to me North American society has almost reached that point.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--RzLJfilkOY/T ... on+cry.jpg

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 10:37 am

well uhh, typically if people don't care about something they don't rant about it......sorry couldn't help myself, but it is true.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

When Michael Jackson died, it's not that I didn't care per-se, but 1. On the same day, I was having severe Asthma, and felt like I could die as well, so I put off all discussion about it until I could worry about someone else's problems.

2. I wasn't doing very good so frankly, I couldn't feel sorry for people who die, they were just put to eternal rest, which may be... convenient.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 11:12 am

...uh...okay... :o

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 11:18 am

... whatever ...

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

Aitrean wrote:
To be honest, I absolutely don't care that Whitney Houston died. She lived a famous, rich life, and died (probably) because she wanted to experiment with alcohol. If anybody else died that way people would be saying "wow, they were so absolutely stupid", but because she can sing, it's OK. How many of you knew her personally? I would assume not one. So one human being whom you never knew has died and it's very sad. Yet, we have had troops dying overseas, people dying all the time in third-world countries, children and young adults losing their lives to cancer.... and do most people even remember the name of the last soldier killed? Do people keep tabs on young children with cancer the same way they do celebrities? If everyone mourned as much for every third-world innocent child killed from lack of food or healthcare then we would be crying all the time. We live in a very sick and twisted society, where all it takes is mediocre talent and a lot of paparazzi to be known as a world icon. People were shocked when Kim Jong Il died and every North Korean was balling their eyes out, to me North American society has almost reached that point.

You care a lot, admit it :P

Skateri
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2012, 11:34 am

I see your point and some how I agree... But the world is a f**ked up place and the media almost decides how the common citizen reacts to anything... Sure, I'm sad that so many people die everyday and I respect those who go down fighting like all the soldiers out there...

That said, if I hear a name of anyone I'm familiar with (celeb or someone I actually know) who dies I pay my respect by praying that they may rest in peace... I only truly mourn if it's someone I care about who dies...

Just my opinion...

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" - Walt Disney

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

I don't understand when people suddenly start trotting out sudden and over the top pronouncements of admiration for people whom I had no idea they even cared about... it just seems rather disingenuous.

I'm sure that one or two people did think she was the bee's knees and played her records every day religiously, and for them her loss will be truly impactful, and that's fine, and some kind of strong expression from them would seem appropriate.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

26 Feb 2012, 12:01 pm

Moog wrote:
I don't understand when people suddenly start trotting out sudden and over the top pronouncements of admiration for people whom I had no idea they even cared about... it just seems rather disingenuous.

I'm sure that one or two people did think she was the bee's knees and played her records every day religiously, and for them her loss will be truly impactful, and that's fine, and some kind of strong expression from them would seem appropriate.

I was a big fan of hers in the 80's and 90's....her demise was hard for me.
However, I thank the OP for putting things in perspective for me. We mourn for who's death we are exposed to, but I agree we are puppets of the media.

Jojo

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 12:21 pm

she was like a singing machine. she seemed to chew the words she sang. when her singing words resolved to vibrato, she seemed to chomp her mouth in the same frequency as her vibrato.

she had no real soul in her music. it was mainly a marathon of performance.
she had perfect pitch and stuff, but she just cranked it out like a machine in my opinion.

here is a person who is almost completely unknown who i consider angelic, and the houston woman does not approach this level of feeling (the song is a gospel song, and i do not agree with the words, but i am i awe of her passion and thrust)
it is a gorgeous song and i have played it on my synthesizer and it is a challenge.
the piano and her voice are perfectly synchronised and she leaves whitney houston for .....
well any way i think whitney houston was a very commercial person.

please put aside your skepticism when listening to this. i am not posting it for the words or meaning, but for the passion and musical excellence of the piano married with her voice which is amazing.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... 67456&q=hi

shartora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm

It's irritating that publications and media types gush over someone because she died, but I supppose that's the nature of the beast. That WH died doen't bother me in the least, so I'm with you on that.

So the neurologist was correct.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

Aitrean wrote:

How dare you show such disrespect to a great singer who died!. Please, show some respect for her!!

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

Yeah, I can't seem to care that she is dead either. She was alive and now she is dead. No one lives forever and she had a great run in my opinion.

I should perhaps clarify though...I don't care that she is dead but I completely understand if others do.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:08 pm

I care in the sense that she passed away too young. If you told me in the beginning of the 90s that in 2012 Whitney would die, I wouldn't have believed it. But as people said, there were complex personal reasons for that, so it's not like her death was unexplainable.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:11 pm

Er... why would you care? Unless you were a fan of her work, you never knew her nor met her so what makes her any different from anyone else that has died? Should we care just because she's famous?

I don't expect people outside my family and friends to give a toss when I die anyway. You're invited to the funeral, though. ;)

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm

Well, knowing someone existed, and then hearing they're no longer breathing is something that registers with me. I did not actually mourn her, I wouldn't even play any of her songs in her honour. :wink: