Israel severs ties with UN Human Rights Council

Page 1 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

Israel severs ties with UN Human Rights Council

Quote:
Following its decision Monday to cut off all ties with the UN Human Rights Council, the Foreign Ministry must now draft guidelines regarding what this entails and how long the ban will be in effect, a diplomatic source said Monday.

Quote:
Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman decided at a meeting of the ministry’s top staff Monday morning to sever ties with the UNHRC, following the body’s decision last Thursday by a vote of 36-1, with 10 abstentions, to dispatch a fact-finding team to Israel to probe the impact of the settlements on Palestinian human rights. Only the US voted against the move.

Thought is was funny the US was the only one that voted against the measure.

US: Forever alone!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 7:31 pm

They might as well. With friends like the UN, who needs enemies?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:15 pm

Nice avatar. I wear that pin to work every day. I don't see the UN making much of a difference here.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

An international fact finding team could validate the Israelis if they really aren't violating human rights. I think a modern democratic nation withdrawing from the UNHRC is a very bad sign

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:59 pm

Funny that Israel can hide from UN inspectors violations to rights and nuclear inspections, but if Iraq or Iran does it, lights out!

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

Israel demolishing solar panels, depriving Palestinian of electricity

Quote:
Hundreds of Palestinians will be left without electricity should Israel’s order for the demolition of 8 solar panels in the West Bank go ahead, in what many say is an attempt to drive Palestinians out of the Israeli-controlled part of the territory.

Gaza out of the spotlight…and out of power, gasoline, and cooking gas for that matter

Quote:
No electricity means no medical service. Electricity is the life of medical service, for all machines; the ICU is completely dependent on electricity, as is the operating theatre, kidney dialysis…

Gaza baby dies after respirator runs out of fuel

Quote:
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — A Gaza man says his baby died after the generator powering his respirator ran out of fuel — the first known death linked to Gaza's energy crisis.

It going to be a bad time to be there all around.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 11:22 pm

Vigilans wrote:
An international fact finding team could validate the Israelis if they really aren't violating human rights. I think a modern democratic nation withdrawing from the UNHRC is a very bad sign

When the UN lets Islamo-facist and banana dictatorships, as well as communists weigh in on human rights cases, it voids their credibility.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 8:30 am

I am not surprised by this at all. It was only a matter of time with the current road they have been on.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

John_Browning wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

When the UN lets Islamo-facist and banana dictatorships, as well as communists weigh in on human rights cases, it voids their credibility.

So basically anyone the US doesn't like has no right to utilize UN resources. If the UN does not work like a tool for hegemony, time to withdraw?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 10:07 am

Well Israel has been above human rights anyways, I mean they get a free pass to kill Palestinians whenever they want what do they need to be part of the human rights council so this isn't surprising. I still think both sides need to get over themselves and hold hands or something, but I am sure both sides would try to kill me if I threw this thought at them.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

John_Browning wrote:
They might as well. With friends like the UN, who needs enemies?

This.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

The human rights council has been used as nothing more than a political tool. If they stood for the the things they were supposed to stand for then they would condemn the deliberate Palestinian attacks against innocent Israeli civilians as much as they condemn Israel but they don't.

Another example of this happening outside of the Palestine/Israel debate is that they once considered Libya under Muammar Gaddaffi "exemplary" for it's promotion of "Human Rights". Human rights my ass.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:56 pm

Jono wrote:
The human rights council has been used as nothing more than a political tool. If they stood for the the things they were supposed to stand for then they would condemn the deliberate Palestinian attacks against innocent Israeli civilians as much as they condemn Israel but they don't.

Another example of this happening outside of the Palestine/Israel debate is that they once considered Libya under Muammar Gaddaffi "exemplary" for it's promotion of "Human Rights". Human rights my ass.

I think the UNHRC needs reform, but turning away from international arbitration is not going to accomplish anything.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Jono wrote:

I think the UNHRC needs reform, but turning away from international arbitration is not going to accomplish anything.

Assuming the arbitration is fair, which it is not.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well Israel has been above human rights anyways, I mean they get a free pass to kill Palestinians whenever they want what do they need to be part of the human rights council so this isn't surprising. I still think both sides need to get over themselves and hold hands or something, but I am sure both sides would try to kill me if I threw this thought at them.

And according to almost every UN resolution that tried to pass, Hamas has a free pass to fire rockets into Israeli civilian areas without consequence, despite being confirmed in fact finding missions too.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

The UN has an abyssmal track record on Human Rights.

The UN Commission on Human Rights was so populated with Human Rights abusers and was so politicized that even the General Assembly finally had to throw its collective hands in the air and abolish the thing.

With such leading lights as: Burkina Faso, China, Congo (Rep), Cuba, Ethiopia, Eretria, Gabon, Guinea, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia, Saudi, Sudan (Sudan?!?), Swaziland, Togo and Zimbabwe, fully 16 of its 48 members were "Authoritarian regimes" on The Economist's Democracy Index. And that doesn't even count the "Hybrid regimes" like Armenia, Ecuador, Egypt, Guatemala, Honduras, Kenya, Maruentania, Nepal, Pakistan and Ukraine.

Well, now that the GA has taken the issue out of the hands of ECOSOC and created the UN Human Rights Council, the situation has improved, right?

Well, Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, China, Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia and Saudi Arabia are there (or still there), so 14 out of 47 seats are held by authoritarian regimes. And there's another 7 hybrids out there. Less than half, but still a hefty number of nations that have no interest in having the lens turned upon their own human rights records, and so are content to use Israel as a scapegoat.

Almost half of the Council's resolutions have been specific to Israel. And despite situations like Darfur, Israel has been the only country to have been condemned by the Council.

The UNO and her agencies have zero credibility when it comes to the promotion of human rights and democratic development. The policy cupboard is bare, and the lunatics are running the asylum. Why should Israel consent to participate in a process whose only goal is, yet again, her own condemnation?