Autism talk this year at HOPE con (Hackers on Planet Earth)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GossamerLights
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2012, 6:27 pm

This July is HOPE Number Nine in New York. As always there are great talks already lined up for the conference this time around they will be having a talk specifically about autism. Check out all current for sure talks at hopenumbernine(dot)net and here is the brief on the autism talk. How many of you guys will be there this year?

The Autism Spectrum and You
Mary Robison, Alex Plank, Jack Robison, Kirsten Lindsmith

As a kid, were you considered precocious? Considered eccentric (or just plain weird) by other kids? Have you ever thought that your sensory perceptions are different from other people? Were you (are you still) the “little professor,” intent on teaching everyone about your unique interest(s)? Do you possess unusual interests? Were you bullied? Did you (do you still) live in your own world with restricted interests? As a child, did you accumulate facts but not really understand them? Do you often assume a literal meaning for metaphorical or ambiguous language? Do you make naive or embarrassing remarks with surprising frequency? Do you often fail to comprehend unspoken modes of communication? Have special routines that cannot be altered? Have unusual facial expressions, vocalizations, or posture? Are you, in fact, bewildered by proper behavior? Are you “face-blind” - unable to remember what the people you encounter every day look like, or to recognize them when you encounter them? If you answer many or just some of these questions affirmatively, congratulations! You, like many of your fellow attendees at HOPE, may have an alternate configuration for the wiring of your brain, now called an Autism Spectrum Disorder (it used to be called Asperger’s Syndrome). At HOPE, we’re the majority; neurotypicals are the rest of the world that does not understand us and may even be afraid of us. Most on the spectrum are male, but there are a lot of females flying under the radar. This panel will discuss the spectrum and how we fit on it, and how we interact with the world at large.

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2012, 8:10 am

Woof

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:38 am

GossamerLights wrote:
This July is HOPE Number Nine in New York. As always there are great talks already lined up for the conference this time around they will be having a talk specifically about autism. Check out all current for sure talks at hopenumbernine(dot)net and here is the brief on the autism talk. How many of you guys will be there this year?

The Autism Spectrum and You
Mary Robison, Alex Plank, Jack Robison, Kirsten Lindsmith

As a kid, were you considered precocious? Considered eccentric (or just plain weird) by other kids? Have you ever thought that your sensory perceptions are different from other people? Were you (are you still) the “little professor,” intent on teaching everyone about your unique interest(s)? Do you possess unusual interests? Were you bullied? Did you (do you still) live in your own world with restricted interests? As a child, did you accumulate facts but not really understand them? Do you often assume a literal meaning for metaphorical or ambiguous language? Do you make naive or embarrassing remarks with surprising frequency? Do you often fail to comprehend unspoken modes of communication? Have special routines that cannot be altered? Have unusual facial expressions, vocalizations, or posture? Are you, in fact, bewildered by proper behavior? Are you “face-blind” - unable to remember what the people you encounter every day look like, or to recognize them when you encounter them? If you answer many or just some of these questions affirmatively, congratulations! You, like many of your fellow attendees at HOPE, may have an alternate configuration for the wiring of your brain, now called an Autism Spectrum Disorder (it used to be called Asperger’s Syndrome). At HOPE, we’re the majority; neurotypicals are the rest of the world that does not understand us and may even be afraid of us. Most on the spectrum are male, but there are a lot of females flying under the radar. This panel will discuss the spectrum and how we fit on it, and how we interact with the world at large.

:?

GossamerLights
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2012, 9:41 am

no one seems to excited about this is there a reason why? this will be my third year going to HOPE it really is a great community.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 10:01 am

GossamerLights wrote:
no one seems to excited about this is there a reason why? this will be my third year going to HOPE it really is a great community.

Ok I guess I didn't like how it said we are supposed to accumulate facts without understanding any of them.......that's just pretty insulting to the interest I've always had in learning and finding as much information I can about a topic for the purpose of understanding it, not just to collect facts. So I don't know it just seemed that was trying to be as negative as possible about people with autism. I mean it seemed to basically say we're just a bunch of clueless individuals who have no idea about anything at all. But maybe I got the wrong impression.

GossamerLights
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2012, 3:47 pm

oh ya sorry about that i didn't really think about how it could come across badly but i can promise you that they didn't mean anything negative by it. I think it was supposed to be extreme and satirical they are likely aspie themselves and were just laughing at some of their more extreme qualities. The atmosphere always is a bit on the silly side everyone just likes to have fun

Again i'm really sorry if it seemed offensive to anyone i didn't write it i just copied it from the site the people giving the talk wrote it.

nonneurotypical
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 May 2012, 4:40 pm

Thanks for the news GossamerLights. This is the kind of news and current events I come here to see.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 9:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqvfsc374og